What's new

Strategy Shazam - Hard knockdown setups

Crathen

Death is my business

Video is self explanatory , these are some setups i think Shazam has to use along with the standard Hermes Might on wakeup to keep his mixups going and not relying on just baiting wakeups , the crossup b2 tech is still unrealiable to me since it's very spacing depedent ( imo the most consistent / pratical is the one that unfortunately autocorrects their wakeup ) and also depends on the character hurtbox.

What do you guys think?Is it worth sacrifing some damage to get better setups?

EGP Wonder_Chef
ISF_AWG_Indecisive
MashPotatoTower
pogse
Phase 3 ( do you still play? )

Last edited:

RYX

BIG PUSHER
The first one was new to me, nice stuff.

I'm terrible at b.2 set ups :( Is there a trick to them?

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
I need you all to tag me in anything Shazam related on this forum.

Crathen

Death is my business
The first one was new to me, nice stuff.

I'm terrible at b.2 set ups :( Is there a trick to them?
I'm not saying this is new , just never saw it used on streams.

For the easier b2 crossup setup there are 3 things you have to know , first hit the b3 as low as you can so you get a longer bounce , second hit the j3 d3 as high as possible for the more advantageous knockdown , third walk back and hit b2 the moment the character starts standing up.

Pretty much muscle memory.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Its rather interesting. Also i feel honored to be tagged in something XD. I would say that it could be used. The b2 cross up i knew you could do mid screen but its tough to get the timing down. Ill try some of this stuff after finals. As for me i would rather go for damage then the set up for the most part. Although it could be used to stop them from clashing. Do less damaging hits into more set ups. Idk.

Crathen

Death is my business
Yeah that's what i was thinking , generally when i'd play a character with no scary wakeups i'd go for the damage ender with f223xxAC or 2xxAC and go for HM , worst case scenario i'm eating around 10% but if i'm against characters with good wakeups like Killer Frost / Black Adam / Batgirl and so on i want to keep momentum and not do pre-emptive stuff ( like jumping back to punish KF slide since if i misread it i gotta go in again ) i'd go for things like the neutral jump crossup to make them aware they have to reverse their wakeup input and not just mash their way out and when they know the setup then i make better educated reads and go for HM , also the crossup j2 can meaty some wakeups or simply make them whiff into a punish.

It gives them a worse guessing game than just " he's either HM and get caught by the wakeup or he's going to bait it and jump back giving me space to zone him ".

Crossup torpedo it's safe from almost any move in the game and it's not clashable so it's good for closing the 2nd lifebar and can lead into some good interactables setups or another crossup torpedo/ usual post MB Torpedo setups.

The corpse hop forward teleport is pretty much a trick to confuse them to not just mash wakeups , do notice they still can't crouch / backdash / jump it so it's a legit HM setup.

Crossup b2 is very good but my gripe atm is that i can't find a consistent setup to cross them up while still reversing / making their wakeup whiff , the easier one lets wakeups autocorrect so it's pretty much the same HM guessing game but can launch with no meter altough it can be blocked if they know , it's still a work in progress and i hope to find a consistent way to fuck their wakeup.

Such theory fighter i am haha.

Raisin Bran

Two Scoops!
Fantastic stuff! Great video!

I was going to say something to the end of the video was sort of lacking conclusions as to executing the b2 crossup, but clearly its a specific, hard to time thing.

the torpedo is totally excellent though, as you can go into torpedo vortex, unblockable HM, or wakeup bait immediately after. I imagine too if instead of dashing forward you just raw teleport the overhead would not be a crossup, if you conditioned them to respect the crossup.

Seriously great stuff, thanks for the vid!

DarkPage

Noob
I commented the actual video too, this stuff is great. if you can do the cross up consistently, you could throw out the HM too which i assume would reach. really feels like it opens up a new mix up game.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Holy dingleberries, a video about Shazam that is actually useful.

And by useful I mean extremely useful and relevant to his playstyle. Good shit Crathen, making me look like a caveman with my pure 50/50 guesses with HM or Armored b3/f3 on wakeup lmao.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
Ive tried a b2 setup but its so precise its annoying but this looks good. The other setups are great to.

Holy cow this is some fucking good stuffs.

I wonder if anyone will start building a list or video compilation of proper spacing for each characters to reverse wakeup.