What's new

Shang's Morph...

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Am I understanding correctly that whenever he does "Soul Steal" in MK9 that he takes the shape of his opponent? And how long does this last? What exactly are the properties...?

If Shang had his full morph in this game... I would seriously probably be maining him... I'm kinda let down that he can't morph in to any character...

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
Posted a thread on this.
Yeah thats the way its looking, I really hope the team might find a way for him to do it fluidly, it might be able to get done.
I think Motaro is in the game 4 legged too. But being able to morph into your kurrent opponent is better than no morph at all.
Either way im happy.

All the best,
Razer

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
I noticed that, that was bitching! I bet they'll incorporate his morph but not in that sense of the classic "constant" morphs once he reverts back to his normal self. Still,that's a cool concept.

OriginalRazer

Kombat Konnoisseur
I noticed that, that was bitching! I bet they'll incorporate his morph but not in that sense of the classic "constant" morphs once he reverts back to his normal self. Still,that's a cool concept.
Kould also be done MKSM style in which he morphs into different kharacters for one of their special moves.

All the best,
Razer

MK9

Noob
what part of soul steal did u not understand, did u play mkdc?? land the move u take form of your opponent. like I said topic over.

DanCock

Cock Master!!
what part of soul steal did u not understand, did u play mkdc?? land the move u take form of your opponent. like I said topic over.
not true, maybe he has another type of soul steal like in the 3d games.. soone morphs into who hes fighting and the other steals health.. who knows really but im hoping he still has his heath steal.

1 ~ how long does the morph last?
2 ~ can you stay as who your fighting for however long we want
3 ~ can we morph back into shang when we want..

etc etc

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
In the end demo trailer, he does a move and turns into soyna. Pretty sure his morph is a move that has to be landed (probably most reliably from combos).

Thats what I got. He may get health back, IDK about that.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Was about to say what dan said, in the 3D MK's he had the soul steal which replenished his energy but didn't morph at all...this one he apparently does both and takes your form at least temporarily. I don't know if it lasts the whole match or stops once you're hit?

Mickael

Noob
It makes sense that he'll only be able to morph into his opponent. Hopefully it'll be the same universal move for all. I'll bet on that.
I also think that like Reptiles invisibility, he can remain as his opponent until he gets hit. ...or do the same special move to toggle back as himself....also like Reptile's invisibility move.
Shang Tsung is a much better whole character than he was in the originals. ...I like the idea of just morphing into your opponent with an easy set of moves. down down square or something. idk.

Crimson Cobra

The Ultimate Shadow
it is just boss mode only

Playable shang can only turn into his opponent but will revert to his original form if he stops moving

Mickael

Noob
That video actually just shows him morphing into his opponent(s). It was a tag team match .

Although... at about the 23 minute mark on this video. http://www.gamespot.com/shows/now-playing/?event=now_playing_mortal_kombat20110414

....We see Shang Tsung morph into Kano and Sonya while playing against Smoke.. but I think it's only because it's a one player match vs the cpu. ...plus Hector confirms what we already figured. ...only Shang actually does MORE damage than you do with your own moves... that's kinda screwed up.

Mickael

Noob
That's actually very fitting for MK and fuckin' cool, IMO. :)
Why? Isn't it game balance that we've been waiting for so patiently? This now makes Shang Tsung the ultimate counter choice for ANY fighter.. you're your opponent, and shang, AND deal more damage than your opponent. .. when you're anyone else but Shang, how is that fuckin' cool?

Yig

Noob
Why? Isn't it game balance that we've been waiting for so patiently? This now makes Shang Tsung the ultimate counter choice for ANY fighter.. you're your opponent, and shang, AND deal more damage than your opponent. .. when you're anyone else but Shang, how is that fuckin' cool?
Shang's style is difficult to use by nature. In fact i think he only changes to your character on a EX Soul Steal. Dont think of it as him being a better you but rather he is getting a temp power boost at the cost of 1 bar and is being forced to use a foreign movelist (unless you learn it).

Shang seems difficult to use as is. I would say its balanced. Sure he has more potential in the long run but that would take a person who knows how to play as every character effectivly to draw that out.

Plus im pretty sure it only lasts 10 seconds.

Mickael

Noob
yeah. I'm sure they probably did their homework on the idea. ...at least with this game. ..I'm not overly concerned.

Sounds great, can't wait to try Shang out. It's a good thing he only turns into his opponents because it makes it more interesting and you don't have to remember which input turns into which character.

im still hoping that the enhanced soul steal has you change into anyone you want for a short period of time (maybe 10 hits or something)

Well after Fighting Shang in story mode and playing with him i can Confirm that Boss Shang (old man Shang in story mode) can shape shift into whoever he wants....when us the player pick Shang we can only transform into who we're fighting...dunno how long it lasts but it lasts for quite a bit of time

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
Regular Soul Steal lasts about 8~10 seconds. Enhanced Soul Steal lasts about 20ish seconds. It's very long.