What's new

Shang's Close Ground Skull Nurf

Kanvis

Noob
I'm sure several of you guys have noticed; Shang close ground skull no longer tracks behind him. I am pretty upset by this since now not only I have to alter my BnB, but more-so close ground skull really help against pesky teleporter such as Raiden. :rant3: Thanks NR!

Yeah kind of sad about this... back to the drawing board.

Guess 47% with awesome wakeup game was a bit strong, even for one bar.
(I'm talking about j.iP 2,2,1 xx Mid Skull > Far Skull > EX skull > Close skull > Close skull > into Upskull.)

babalook

Noob
how do you guys end combo now that ending with a dash under close skull into up skull won't work ive been trying 12upskull

Depends on how your combo started. If you started with a full combo (say JiP, f4, 3, 4, midskull, farskull, ex skull), then if you launch a close ground skull as soon as you recover from the ex skull, it'll hit and you can juggle again with a close or mid skull. If you just tagged them with a random ground skull (say from mid range or something), you can carry them to the end of the screen, ex skull them back, do a front up skull into close ground skull. Both of these options do roughly the same damage as before.

90% of the time you can sneak a F3,4 mid skull before they think to block down. minus the tracking nerf (which i think was a 10 frame track?) shang is still one of my strongest players. it just takes a little mental compensation and you can still rock raiden.

babalook

Noob
no i mean how do you end your combos to setup for a up skull for a potential reset now with that the close skull isn't able to setup the up skull

Why isn't the close skull able to set up for the up skull? Just adjust your timing/positioning some. The up skull has decent tracking on it still, as far as I can tell.

-M-

Noob
This has sorta gotten me to have a nicer BnB anyways since I didn't really experiment much at all before.

Been starting to use
2,2,1, mid skull, far skull, ex skull, close skull, close skull ... from here it branches slightly either soul steal or ... dash, up skull, dash jump in.

This has sorta gotten me to have a nicer BnB anyways since I didn't really experiment much at all before.

Been starting to use
2,2,1, mid skull, far skull, ex skull, close skull, close skull ... from here it branches slightly either soul steal or ... dash, up skull, dash jump in.
Yeah, I actually picked up Shang and started experimenting before reading anyone else's stuff about him, and when the patch came out, none of my BnBs changed. I have basically three major BnBs for three different situations, and I just vary them as necessary. The goal is always to maximize damage and reliability, minimize risk, and get them into a fireball juggle where I have to touch them the fewest amount of times (thus reducing opportunity for breaker).

For standard ground combo:
(Up Skull and/or JiP opener) ->
(f+434/221/f+34 string) ->
(mid skull, far skull, ex skulls, close skull, mid skull) ->
(soul steal/mid skull or up skull whiff ender depending on whether you want damage or pressure).

For air-to-air jump punch:
(dash, 1, mid skull, far skull, ex skulls, front up skull, ground skull) ->
(soul steal/mid skull or up skull whiff ender depending on whether you want damage or pressure).

For landing a ground skull juggle at range:
(juggle next distance skull, ex skulls, front up skull, ground skull) ->

As I said, the idea is to physically touch them as little as possible. Also, I've intentionally overlapped as much of the combos as possible so that my execution will be more reliable regardless of how I land the first hit. And there's some built-in redundancy in that even if the last (closest) of the ex ground skulls whiffs (which it sometimes unavoidably does), the follow-up close skull catches them anyway and juggles for the last bit of the combo. Each of these does good damage: 31% at minimum (for a ground skull juggle starting at range) all the way to 47% at maximum, and all for one meter.

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
I've been trying to use neutral J or close g.skull, 3, far ground skull, EX ground skull, close ground skull, neutral j a lot more lately

great counter to jump ins