What's new

Shang Tsung top tier?

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I'm really curious as to why lots of people consider him top tier so I figured I would ask the fellow shang players. I see his name pop up in the tier thread quite often and also saw Perfect Legend attempt to use him vs Tom Brady.

He seems to REALLY struggle vs Raiden/Cyber Sub Zero. What do you guys think?

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
No he isn't, and for those who consider him top just don't know the characters weakness yet. The reason why they think he is in the top class is because of his morph damage output, and Zoning, a nice 50/50 off a jump in, unbreakable combos and he can make his unsafe strings safe with soul steal. Shang get raped by Cyber Sub, I haven't fought a Raiden yet. If I was a hardcore Tier list guy I would say Shang isn't S Class but is in A Class.

But hey its still really early and the game could change to the point Shang > everyone else :p

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I can tell you fighting a Raiden is not fun. Don't bother trying to zone vs him. What IS weird is if you throw out a ground skull and he teleports, it will hit behind you and float him over you for a combo. Have a buddy try it, it's weird

zYn

Noob
I think that basing a character's level on a tier list on the matchup against Raiden, you'll find that most characters feel subpar. Raiden is just THAT powerful.

I see Shang Tsung as a pretty top character, I think it's easily arguable that he belongs in the bottom portion of S tier. So much space control and Zoning at his finger tips. Not to mention extremely powerful 50/50 setups, and a great soul steal ability (if you know how to use it effectively). Most characters don't have the tools that he does, I just think people haven't really given him a lot of time to marinate.

I could be wrong - just my thoughts

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I actually see Shang is somewhere in mid maybe.

He does have lots of zoning tools, however the actual reward for zoning isn't nearly as good as some characters. I mean if Kung Lao or Sub zone you there's always the risk of a full combo, Shang can only get a few fireballs worth of damage.

His biggest problem for me was the fact that he doesn't have an invincible wakeup reversal. He's seriously so free on wakeup, people can just walk all over him.

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
I think that basing a character's level on a tier list on the matchup against Raiden, you'll find that most characters feel subpar. Raiden is just THAT powerful.
he loses hard to CSZ, and Im hearing Smoke gives him problems aswell.

I see Shang Tsung as a pretty top character, I think it's easily arguable that he belongs in the bottom portion of S tier. So much space control and Zoning at his finger tips. Not to mention extremely powerful 50/50 setups, and a great soul steal ability (if you know how to use it effectively). Most characters don't have the tools that he does, I just think people haven't really given him a lot of time to marinate.

I could be wrong - just my thoughts
My problems with the soul steal is that its too controlled, or neutral (we should be at advantage) once you get a morph its hard to open the Opp up and get that damage in because of the timer. NRS could of had soul steal knock down, since Shang has a timer breathing down his neck.

and when you move in to "try" & put that stolen soul to work, if your successful good stuff but if you not successful you put shang in a bad position because Shang for the most part wants to play the zoning game (still iffy about that) Im also reading that the more moves/attacks you do while morphed the shorter the time limit becomes, don't know if this is true or false. I don't know maybe its me, I open to suggestion o how to improve my Shang game.

I like Shang Tsung and I plan on playing the guy till the end even in tournaments.

He does have lots of zoning tools, however the actual reward for zoning isn't nearly as good as some characters. I mean if Kung Lao or Sub zone you there's always the risk of a full combo, Shang can only get a few fireballs worth of damage.

His biggest problem for me was the fact that he doesn't have an invincible wakeup reversal. He's seriously so free on wakeup, people can just walk all over him.
Ground Skull has invincible start up when used as wake up attack, or you can go and waste a bar of meter on a enhanced soul steal if it helps somewhat, but yeah knock downs hurt.

McNasty

Moist.
One of shangs biggest assets is his main combos are hard to break so unless you stop the canned combo your SOL when the fireballs carry you all over the place. He is slow as all hell though so you gotta have good timing to land the canned combos lol.

Luxus Nights

Beyond Good & Evil
^yeah his best strength imo is that his wall combos can start with the Opp a few dashes away from the wall, thats a 45% meter-less combo (with jump in) thanks for DJV13 for pointing it out. I base Shang zoning around that, and Up Skull for a 51% 1 bar of meter mid-screen combo that has a morph.

Shang isn't azz or a terrible character he's just not S class material imo.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Ground Skull has invincible start up when used as wake up attack, or you can go and waste a bar of meter on a enhanced soul steal if it helps somewhat, but yeah knock downs hurt.
If it has any frames of invincibility then it has a lot less than most other wakeup reversals. From what I've seen it has almost none.

DJV13

Noob
I think in the long run shang tsung will be better because we will have time to learn all the characters

Infiny

Noob
Shang Tsung has medium priority moves but a good zoning game with his balls :
Especially the ground ones.
Moreover, he can morph into his opponent and use his moves.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
The more I play Shang, the more I see him as mid tier at best. W/out his morphing, he has a hard time getting people off him and his mixups are kinda slow. Looking forward to seeing some high level Shang vids (if any exist)

Sequel

Boob Titbot

I've played against Alex Valle for at least 75 games or more and I can tell you that Shang is not Mid. His full screen zoning leads to a highly damaging combo if he has meter - which he always does. He also has the dfa skull trap when he's in your face that grants him frame advantage on block.

"I mean if Kung Lao or Sub zone you there's always the risk of a full combo..." Kung Lao has no combos off of zoning you. It's either you get hit by Low Hat or Normal Hat. Shang can out zone Kung any day of the week. Mind you I was going back and forth with Valle and it wasn't because I was zoning him. I was forced to get in and rush because his zoning is just to damn good.

Please don't downplay Shang. If anything people just don't know how to play him properly. Oh and this isn't directed specifically at you Chef. Don't want you to get the impression that I'm calling you out. This is for everyone.

I'm also not basing this on what Tom Brady says, even though he considers Shang top tier. I'm basing it on real experience against a solid Shang Tsung player.

Oh and one more thing, you cannot use breaker to get out of his combos because they're projectiles. Just another reason why he's far from being Mid Tier. Easily A+.

First of all, the game has not been out long enough for people to call Shang mid tier. He is easily A+ to S, however nobody has a complete Shang yet.

My reasoning behind this is that a couple months from now, tourney Shang players will be figuring out ridiculously damaging morph combos that will make opinions from today completely obsolete.

If Alex Valle is still using Shang 6 months from now, and the Kabal infinite is patched, do you all think he still would have lost just as bad? I sure don't. I feel that he would use the strat of morphing into Kabal, and doing ridiculous morph combos as I feel that the NRS team wanted Shang to be played this way. Why would they make Soulsteal a safe move and combo ender.

Sequel was also correct about close upskull trap as well. Close Upskull gives freakin advantage on block...