What's new

Match-up Discussion - Hollywood Seriously. How Do I Approach The Mileena MU?

x TeeJay o

Canary Cry Gapless Pressure
Seriously People, How. H O W S W A Y !!

Forreal though man like i know i have to be patient derp. I try that, i try whiff punishing(which doesn't even work half the time cus ya know roll back netcode be trippin) i try the walk her down game, but low sai, straight sai, tele combo just so frustrating. Not to mention once i get in , gotta deal with b12 xx d3 shenanigans. I labbed her gimmicks, i labbed whiff punishing sais, ive labbed punishing teleport into sai , i have labbed nuetral situations ect. I just feel hopeless in the nuetral man she has so many options. Her gameplan is to force you into a mistake, but even if you don't make any, she's completely in control. How do u guys approach it? Is it a terrible matchup or do i just need to level up cus at this point im outta options lol

P. S. I play mileenas who play like foxy. Not the online scrubs who yolo swag 420 blaze it roll and tele all game.. So keep that in mind

@Whoever Plays Cassie Anymore Besides @Scott The Scot @YoloRoll1stHit @Youphemism & @Hollywood DMS & Others. SORRY DON'T KNOW U ALL MUCH LUV SMOOCHES

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I play mileenas who play like foxy.
Yo man, nah. Everybody thinks they've played somebody who plays like Foxy. Please believe me when I saw you probably haven't lol pleeease. I got mopped by Foxy and it was super eye opening. I had the wrong approach completely.

Anyway, neutral is pretty tricky in the matchup if the Mileena you're playing against has decent footsies and doesn't just whiff B12 randomly in your face lol - in my experience Cassie is one of that characters that has an easier time whiff punishing Mileena for that. Sais present a problem for Cassie because it means that she doesn't just get to B12 her way in for free all the time. You may want to jump over those sais, but even in Barwler if you try JIK~Air Grab because it's harder to AA typically, then you will still lose to Mileenas anti airs so I would not recommend jumping since Mileena does good meterless damage.

I personally think that Cassie loses to Piercing in general but I've only played against Foxys Mileena with Brawler. I'd like to play some matches with him again but this time with Hollywood and with me looking into the MU more lol. I can see Hollywood being better and perhaps even since Mileena can't punish F34 so we get a safe meterless overhead, plus the EX NP for when we do open up the Mileena player to get a mixup (this is where the safe overhead comes into play for conditioning). EX NP is also invincible so in the corner Mileena doesn't get easy oki by just doing her 3-in-1 armour breaking, stagger, mixup string lol. She has to respect that when we have meter.

Unfortunately Mileena builds more meter than Cassie, anti-airs just as well as Cassie, does better in the ground game against Cassie, does more damage than Cassie meterlessly and for a bar midscreen and outdamages her in the corner. It's just a tough matchup in my opinion. I don't know the MU number but I'd definitely place my bets in Piercings favour.

You just have to outplay the Mileena player in footsies and the poke war. Your D3 is +13 on hit so you have to take advantage of that every time you land the hit for either a mixup or a guarenteed pressure. You'll need to make reads on her staggers and when to poke but when the meta advances to her baiting your poke so she can continue her pressure that's when you need to take advantage of her respeck to do like a 50/50 or some sort of block or chip string.

That's all I really have for you to be honest. I'm still a student of the MU myself so I'm interested to see how other Cassie players handle it. Maybe they have another approach to the MU but I feel like this one has to be played pretty honestly for the most part.

Also you forgot to tag Sonic Fox, but you know how solution. Pick Alien :DOGE

x TeeJay o

Yo man, nah. Everybody thinks they've played somebody who plays like Foxy. Please believe me when I saw you probably haven't lol pleeease. I got mopped by Foxy and it was super eye opening. I had the wrong approach completely.

Anyway, neutral is pretty tricky in the matchup if the Mileena you're playing against has decent footsies and doesn't just whiff B12 randomly in your face lol - in my experience Cassie is one of that characters that has an easier time whiff punishing Mileena for that. Sais present a problem for Cassie because it means that she doesn't just get to B12 her way in for free all the time. You may want to jump over those sais, but even in Barwler if you try JIK~Air Grab because it's harder to AA typically, then you will still lose to Mileenas anti airs so I would not recommend jumping since Mileena does good meterless damage.

I personally think that Cassie loses to Piercing in general but I've only played against Foxys Mileena with Brawler. I'd like to play some matches with him again but this time with Hollywood and with me looking into the MU more lol. I can see Hollywood being better and perhaps even since Mileena can't punish F34 so we get a safe meterless overhead, plus the EX NP for when we do open up the Mileena player to get a mixup (this is where the safe overhead comes into play for conditioning). EX NP is also invincible so in the corner Mileena doesn't get easy oki by just doing her 3-in-1 armour breaking, stagger, mixup string lol. She has to respect that when we have meter.

Unfortunately Mileena builds more meter than Cassie, anti-airs just as well as Cassie, does better in the ground game against Cassie, does more damage than Cassie meterlessly and for a bar midscreen and outdamages her in the corner. It's just a tough matchup in my opinion. I don't know the MU number but I'd definitely place my bets in Piercings favour.

You just have to outplay the Mileena player in footsies and the poke war. Your D3 is +13 on hit so you have to take advantage of that every time you land the hit for either a mixup or a guarenteed pressure. You'll need to make reads on her staggers and when to poke but when the meta advances to her baiting your poke so she can continue her pressure that's when you need to take advantage of her respeck to do like a 50/50 or some sort of block or chip string.

That's all I really have for you to be honest. I'm still a student of the MU myself so I'm interested to see how other Cassie players handle it. Maybe they have another approach to the MU but I feel like this one has to be played pretty honestly for the most part.

Also you forgot to tag Sonic Fox, but you know how solution. Pick Alien :DOGE
Yeah this feels like the stuff i was trying tk tell myself. Its sooo hard fighting her u have to be godlike at whiff punishing cause her recovery is so damn good. When i say they play like foxy, they play very defensive lol. There's only one foxy haha but they try and imitate him and it works

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Hey, Foxy does his share of B12, roll. It works in doses. I actually got beaten 10-7 by Infiniti in a long set. This matchup is incredibly frustrating now. In prepatch, roles were reversed and it felt like Cassie won pretty easily, but now it's a struggle. I like to EX Nutpunch Mileena's B12, followup if they get too autopilot, so they put some RESPEK on the invincibility and the guaranteed mixup. Like @Scott The Scot said, don't autopilot B12 or jump around as Cassie, because the high risk is not worth the potential reward. Mileena does a lot of damage, and you don't want to be victimized by her pressure once you get knocked down. It also hurts that she can punish F33 with a regular reversal roll, so you don't want to get crazy with that string either. Patience is key here. You want the Mileena player to hang themselves instead of forcing an opening that isn't there.

shura30

Shura
I'd rather fight 100 mileenas than, say, hellfire scorpion

I pick brawler in general and especially against piercing
Cassie's tools are kinda limited in this matchup but still viable
hollywood might have better pressure because of the restand but I'd rather save the meter to break that stupid 35% damage from all kind of starters

once you takedown her you might want to make that oki count, a few pointers from my experience (I main cassie from almost day1):

- F44 armor break is balls because the roll goes right under it, df1 is your best friend there, they gotta hold it
- if she delays the wakeup, go nuts with mixups and ticks. Beside her 6 frames d1 the other pokes don't pose a threat to ours
- abuse d4 and stop her b12 retaliation with d3 or even 242 if she tries to poke back
- d3 stops ANYTHING beside exroll after her f1,2,b4, take 2 minutes to lab the timing. this mean gimmicks like d3~takedown/bowbreaker or d3~df1/f3

ofc you're up against the top tier of the game which also has 3 projectiles and a teleport and cassie doesn't like them
nerves and patience are your best tool in this matchup

I found that with my own main, Sektor, the only way to get a guaranteed punish on her teleport mixup (sai/non-sai) is with an uppercut. You essentially have to decide whether you want to sacrifice damage potential for guaranteed damage, or go all in for the higher potential. Not sure if that's the case for Cassie, though, but knowing this helped me against this extremely frustrating character. Note that I have to block it standing for this to work.

You might have deploy better strategies to punish her teleports with your characters, though.

x TeeJay o

Hey, Foxy does his share of B12, roll. It works in doses. I actually got beaten 10-7 by Infiniti in a long set. This matchup is incredibly frustrating now. In prepatch, roles were reversed and it felt like Cassie won pretty easily, but now it's a struggle. I like to EX Nutpunch Mileena's B12, followup if they get too autopilot, so they put some RESPEK on the invincibility and the guaranteed mixup. Like @Scott The Scot said, don't autopilot B12 or jump around as Cassie, because the high risk is not worth the potential reward. Mileena does a lot of damage, and you don't want to be victimized by her pressure once you get knocked down. It also hurts that she can punish F33 with a regular reversal roll, so you don't want to get crazy with that string either. Patience is key here. You want the Mileena player to hang themselves instead of forcing an opening that isn't there.
Yeah i almost never auto pilot b12. I hace to make insane reads on sais too because recovery on fleek. Also ya the oki game does favor us slightly when we have meter. Rip f33 :/

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
mash your d3
I'm serious. Cassie's 7f d3 is -3 on block. Mileena can't B12 to punish d3 d3 d3 from Cassie.
So it's gonna look like this: Cassie does d3 on block into another d3. At first Mileena try B1 but eat a d3. Then Cassie should mix her up.
Next time does d3 and block to check Mileena's reaction. If she still B12 then repeat the above gimmick next time. If she counterpokes with d1, d3 then you got frame advantage, mix her up. Don't use your B12 in situations like this. Mix her up if you're sure she respects your turn
This is a legit tactics because all the risk you might face is 2% damage from her poke and 2% chip from whatever next string Mileena throws out. Remember to tech throws though. You, on the other hand, have true mixup after pokes on hit so yea, why not?
Oh and remember to try this gimmick: does d3 nut punch on block. Mileena player must be on point to counterpoke Cassie's d3 d3 because if she's slightly late she eats your d3. Because Mileena's d1 is so fast, you can trade your nut punch and BAM! Fifty fucking percent meterless corner combo :cool: Be VERY careful with this

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
I'd rather fight 100 mileenas than, say, hellfire scorpion

I pick brawler in general and especially against piercing
Cassie's tools are kinda limited in this matchup but still viable
hollywood might have better pressure because of the restand but I'd rather save the meter to break that stupid 35% damage from all kind of starters

once you takedown her you might want to make that oki count, a few pointers from my experience (I main cassie from almost day1):

- F44 armor break is balls because the roll goes right under it, df1 is your best friend there, they gotta hold it
- if she delays the wakeup, go nuts with mixups and ticks. Beside her 6 frames d1 the other pokes don't pose a threat to ours
- abuse d4 and stop her b12 retaliation with d3 or even 242 if she tries to poke back
- d3 stops ANYTHING beside exroll after her f1,2,b4, take 2 minutes to lab the timing. this mean gimmicks like d3~takedown/bowbreaker or d3~df1/f3

ofc you're up against the top tier of the game which also has 3 projectiles and a teleport and cassie doesn't like them
nerves and patience are your best tool in this matchup
What's wrong with Hellfire Scorpion?

Don't you outfootsie him?

x TeeJay o

mash your d3
I'm serious. Cassie's 7f d3 is -3 on block. Mileena can't B12 to punish d3 d3 d3 from Cassie.
So it's gonna look like this: Cassie does d3 on block into another d3. At first Mileena try B1 but eat a d3. Then Cassie should mix her up.
Next time does d3 and block to check Mileena's reaction. If she still B12 then repeat the above gimmick next time. If she counterpokes with d1, d3 then you got frame advantage, mix her up. Don't use your B12 in situations like this. Mix her up if you're sure she respects your turn
This is a legit tactics because all the risk you might face is 2% damage from her poke and 2% chip from whatever next string Mileena throws out. Remember to tech throws though. You, on the other hand, have true mixup after pokes on hit so yea, why not?
Oh and remember to try this gimmick: does d3 nut punch on block. Mileena player must be on point to counterpoke Cassie's d3 d3 because if she's slightly late she eats your d3. Because Mileena's d1 is so fast, you can trade your nut punch and BAM! Fifty fucking percent meterless corner combo :cool: Be VERY careful with this
LMAO. If this works i will actually cry

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
A really good counter pick for Mileena would be FF Liu Kang. You can counter zone her, bait her tps and parry it. Parry is a good oki tool, so she wont dare to roll in any way, she will also respect it once you parried her b1. Once you have conditioned her, you can run in grab her, like she does to most characters, lol. I havent played Foxy though, but I think FF is your best chance to win against her. Or you can just play Acidic and be done with it.

x TeeJay o

A really good counter pick for Mileena would be FF Liu Kang. You can counter zone her, bait her tps and parry it. Parry is a good oki tool, so she wont dare to roll in any way, she will also respect it once you parried her b1. Once you have conditioned her, you can run in grab her, like she does to most characters, lol. I havent played Foxy though, but I think FF is your best chance to win against her. Or you can just play Acidic and be done with it.
I knowwww i can counterpick her, but i wanna find a way to beat her with Cassie lol. I wanna be that guy that finds a way to deal with his bad MU's . i play casually right now so idc about tournament wins ect. Haha

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
lol you think having a horrible parry makes her stop spamming B1? you can parry 3 times and one single fail will leads to 36% meterless which equal damage from all of your hard read. Do the math. She laughs so hard at your "pressure" as well, you can't even wake up against her
Currently the only real counter pick for Piercing is Acidic, the matchup might be 5.1-4.9 :DOGEin Alien's favor. However keep in mind that Piercing goes 5 - 5 with many variations, you just need to work as hard as Foxy to be able to win her consistently, rather than running around testing every variation trying to find out which one can 6 - 4 piercing

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
I knowwww i can counterpick her, but i wanna find a way to beat her with Cassie lol. I wanna be that guy that finds a way to deal with his bad MU's . i play casually right now so idc about tournament wins ect. Haha
Do you play Brawler as well, with that variation there are even more gimmicks to try. You can make your friends who play Mileena drop their jaws

PapaRegadetho

All hail emperor Liucifer Kang!
The parry has good recovery, you can do the move right after again, sure, if you spam it al the time you'll get punished, but the point is to condition her to respect it, so you can counter zone her. D3 into parry also works, its actually a really good move.And I main Liu since day 1, so I know what im talking about.

x TeeJay o

Do you play Brawler as well, with that variation there are even more gimmicks to try. You can make your friends who play Mileena drop their jaws
i plan on playing all 3 yeah. i just have nightmares of brawler getting in on her lol how does spec ops do against her? any idea?

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
i plan on playing all 3 yeah. i just have nightmares of brawler getting in on her lol how does spec ops do against her? any idea?
Don't ever think about Spec ops
Brawler has meterless vortex on knockdown (that whiffs if Mileena delays wake up), all 3 variations must get in so Brawler setplay can cause a lot of trouble for Mileena

x TeeJay o

Don't ever think about Spec ops
Brawler has meterless vortex on knockdown (that whiffs if Mileena delays wake up), all 3 variations must get in so Brawler setplay can cause a lot of trouble for Mileena
Yeaaaaa i tried labbing the efficiency of the rockets vs sais in the nuetral. L O L GGS

x TeeJay o

brawler cassie is goat

I believe it's a free roll each rocket for specops

also, don't listen to @PapaRegadetho , his kang can only walk backwards and shoot fireballs
/kappa
Im gonna dabble with brawler today. The command grabs kick my ass though thry seem hard or inconsistent after 2 or 21. Keep getting 212 if im trying to do 21 xx command grab