What's new

Semi-noob needs help with Cyrax

Ok I just got the game like 2-3 weeks ago. I have a business and 2 toddlers, so I don't get as much time to practice as I would like (don't get me wrong I love my kids and they come first!) but I am hooked, I love formulating new combos and mind games to throw at my opponent.

Because I am 5 months behind most of you, I don't get the nuances or intricacies of the game yet, I hear terms like frames and techable and I have no clue what these mean. The essence of my game is basically be patient, block, react and punish with a big combo. What I need help with is, I want to know how you guys push the pace with Cyrax. I want to be the one that dictates where the match goes, kind of like an elite wrestler in MMA. I basically want my game to have more depth to it.

When the button response online is working for me I like to punish with the 2, 1, net, jip, 2, 1, EXbomb, medium bomb, uppercut, B+2, 3, 3, 4. Gives like 53%, so it's decent.

So my questions are:

1. What do you guys like to do in terms of setups?
2. What is the best way to use his teleport? The only use I can find is, when you trap the opponent in the net from across the screen you teleport behind him before he gets out.
3. What is the best punish when you have your opponent in the net off the ground?

I have seen Mustard's matches at SVB and I try to do a move when he catches someone in the air, he does 1, dash, 1, 3,3,net, but online is a different animal and it doesn't respond very well.

I also tend to have trouble with good players who use Scorpion (god I hate his demon fire move), Raiden and Smoke. What do you guys do against these fighters?

Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I have watched as many videos of Cyrax players as I can, so I would like to hear from the minds of gamers here. Thanks.

NariTuba

disMember
replace your 3,3,4 ender with 1,2,1~ragdoll (highest damage) or 1,2,1~AAt (easier execution)

for your questions:

1. Im not much of a setup player, Im more of a rushdown into hit confirm alternating with zoning guy. Im sure many here will help you with some usefull bomb setups. One piece of advice I CAN give you tho is learn to hit confirm 1,2 or 2,1. When you push forward on the opponet you can jip,1,2 or d4, dash, 1,2. The idea behind hit confirming is to realize wether the string you dialed has connected and continue accordingly. For example if you connect you would do 1,2~net and follow with full combo, but if the opponent blocked it then 1,2,1~ragdoll which puts you more or less at neutral; or 1,2, command grab as well. Sorry if the explanation was too obvious, just dont know how much you know or dont.

2. Teleport usage outside what you mentioned is rare and matchup dependent. You can basically use it if you make a correct read on what your opponent will do, but if you just throw it out there a semi decent opp will punish you everytime. Not that important for his gameplay honestly.

njp, b2, 1,2,1~ragdoll (for damage, avoid the throw at the end to continue pressure)
njp, b2, 2,1, 3,3~saw (allows pressure on wakeup)
njp, b2, 2,1, 1,2,1~AAt (advanced - more damage harder to connect)
njp, b2, ff4, (they fall to the ground) 2,2 (bomb setup)

play with those see what you like and fits your style

For help against smoke check my post on this thread: http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?11125-Any-tips-on-fighting-against-Soke-and-Mileena

Hope any of that helped

NariTuba, thanks for the input, I'll give your suggestions a go.

My reason for the 3,3,4 ender is because its 100% guaranteed online. I guess it's lag, but anything that involves going down+forward or down-back doesn't work out for me very well.

NariTuba

disMember
NariTuba, thanks for the input, I'll give your suggestions a go.

My reason for the 3,3,4 ender is because its 100% guaranteed online. I guess it's lag, but anything that involves going down+forward or down-back doesn't work out for me very well.
how about 3,3~saw then, you will get more damage and better pressure options

You can also do, 21, 121 in specific situations. If you catch somone in the air or don't have meter you can usually NJP,B2, 21,121, or B2, 21,121. Also can throw a medium or short bomb depending on distance and follow up with a net again for great pressure off of nothing but normals.

Did you end up trying my combo? I use it frequently, if I'm bored.

I've got 2 questions.

Does 33 still grant a safe jump? I can't ever get a cross up going after 33, they end up recovering to fast or hit me.

What's the best way to not accidentally dash when you're throwing out bombs, so annoying when it messes up combos due to slight movement.

NariTuba

disMember
I've got 2 questions.

Does 33 still grant a safe jump? I can't ever get a cross up going after 33, they end up recovering to fast or hit me.

What's the best way to not accidentally dash when you're throwing out bombs, so annoying when it messes up combos due to slight movement.
I dont know if 33 grants a free jump, first and last time i heard of that was on the guide when the game first came out. No reason to be throwing out blind 3,3s tho. You can hit confirm all other jab strings so why throw out the only one you cant? Also lets say you connect it, why go for a free jump when you can go for 3,3~net? The second hit of 3,3 hits high so it can be crouch blocked. All other jab strings (1,2 2,1 1,1) leave you neutral on block; 3,3 leaves you at disadvantage.

As far as bombs and dashing you just gotta practice. Go to training mode and disect your inputs carefully, make sure youre being as clean and fast as possible. When you get the bomb without movement try to realize why and repeat. Sorry, theres not much i can tell you on that.

God online is so frustrating. I lose 80% of my matches because I whiff on so many combos when the button response isn't there. I always end up looking down at the controller and say "But...but..I'm sure I pressed it".