What's new

Question Sektor - Looking for good players to tell me why he sucks

Sektroll

Noob
What's up Sektor forum? I main this character and as the title of the thread reads, I am looking for players who are good at MK9 to tell me why Sektor sucks.

Warning: going to be a bit long

I have heard nothing but comments in real life and on message boards similar to "he does very little damage", "he is very unsafe", and "his zoning and projectiles are terrible".

I do not agree with any of the above, so I am going to break down each of those as I see them. Note I only use Robo Sektor, and have no idea if there are even differences between the Human and Robotic versions.

1) He does very little damage

48% 1 bar
jump punch, you get 1,2,b+1, jump kick, telupp, jump kick, ex telupp, b+2, flame

48% 1 bar
jump punch, 1,2, b+1, f+4, 4, telupp, jump kick ex telupp, b+2, flame

40% no bars
jump punch, 1,2, b+1, f+4,4, telupp, b+2, flame

48% damage and only uses 1 bar. I prefer the jump kick version over the combo with f+4, 4 as that variation does 1 extra hit with the same damage. 1 less hit means less meter for my opponent and 1 less hit they have a chance to break.

Close to half life for 1 bar seems like good damage to me. Now, I know many reading are thinking "no wakeups, so it is garbage". If you want to do wakeups, I have seen many people ending with b+2, homing up missile (not a good idea), and b+2,1 into guessing game (still not very good as you take way too long to recover.

Why not do the following? 46% 1 bar
jump punch, 1,2,b+1, jump kick, telupp, jump kick, ex telupp, jump kick, telupp

This puts the opponent at the opposite end of the screen for 46% damage and one bar used. You also get to throw a homing up missile or a front up missile and see what your opponent does. If you know they will just soak the homing up missile on block, then add a straight missile for an extra 4% damage total chip. Instead of that, you can even watch while blocking and see if they try to move. If you see them get hit by the up missile, you have the following options:

Easy setup 37%:
teleupp, jump kick, ex teleupp, jump kick, teleupp then homing or front up missile
Easy damage 39%:
teleupp, jump kick, ex teleupp, b+2, flame

Medium setup 38%:
teleupp, f+4,4, ex teleupp, jump kick, teleupp then homing or front up missle
Medium damage 41%:
teleupp, f+4,4, ex teleupp, b+2, flame

Damage off of a relatively safe low (will go into why later): 37% 1 bar

b+3, 4, telupp, jump kick, ex telupp, b+2, flame
b+3, 4, telupp, f+4, 4, ex telupp, b+2, flame

Again, I prefer the first as one less hit means less opponent meter and 1 less chance to break.

27% no bars
b+3, 4, telupp, f+4, 4, telupp into up missile guessing games

24% no bars
b+3, 4, telupp, jump kick, telupp into up missile guessing games

26% no bars
b+3, 4, telupp, b+2, flame

I prefer the second one although it is the lowest damage. The first one does the most, but due to how the f+4, 4 hits, the arc that the opp flies in is way lower, so they hit the ground and can recover quicker than the second combo. The third combo is in case I do not want a wakeup situation with that character (depends on the matchup).

Stance into overhead is nice damage as well, but you have to commit to the telupp by buffering it in early, which can be risky. While I am not going to go over each variation here, the same options after telupp still apply. Also, I was messing around with canceling stance overhead into up missile for nice wakeups. The great thing about that is that unless they do a teleport type move or an xray after blocking the overhead while you do the up missile, the missile usually comes down on them as they are trying to hit you, allowing you to sometimes get an attack or even a combo in. Still messing around with that, so more to come on overhead shenanigans.

So, I think Sektor's damage is very nice for how easy he is to use, and most importantly how many opportunities you have to land the damage.
-------------------

2) He is very unsafe

Yes, if you telupp around like a jackass. Sure, there is some risk to stance overhead into telupp since you have to commit, but what if you do not use that overhead into telupp? Then, we are left to look at b+3,4.

b+3, 4
This is arguably the best low attack in the entire game. The only thing I can think of that comes remotely close is Shang Tsung's low string since you can cancel it into close up skull after the first hit, making it safe on block, but on hit you get a juggle (tight timing) from the close up skull. However, Shang's low starter is extremely slow and has nowhere near the range of Sektor's. Let's break down Sektor's b+3,4 and see why it is so ridiculous.

This low high allows a hit confirm into telupp and the juggles I mentioned above, and I also mentioned that it is relatively safe.

Against all characters, if they block the very tip of the b+3, the high 4 will whiff over their head if they are ducking or duck blocking, allowing them to mess you up with an uppercut or huge damage combo.

If you have your opponent against the wall, and you dash into them as close as possible right before the b+3,4, then the 4 will always whiff against all characters, allowing you to get destroyed.

Knowing both of those above, make sure you are not at the very max distance (takes a bit of practice, but very doable) and make sure if they are in the corner you are not right in their grill, then they will be forced to block or get hit by the high 4.

Now, this is where it really gets interesting, in open space at medium distance from the opponent (where Sektor's foot is against or overlapping the opponent's foot while standing, then you are in the sweet spot), the opponent being able to duck or duck block under the 4 causing it to whiff or being forced to block it/get hit by it is dependent on the opponent and their hitbox.

While I am not going to list every character, here are a few categories:

Tiny Category (i.e. they will prob have the 4 whiff at just about any range after blocking b+3)
Kung Lao
Reptile

Average Category
Scorpion
Subzero

Slightly Fat Category (can be even further away than the sweet spot to make them block the 4)
Liu Kang
Sindel

Fatty (b+3 can WHIFF right in front of your opponent, and they still have to block or get hit by the 4)
Noob Saibot

So, what it boils down to is that you always want to be in the sweet spot for the b+3,4, but with some characters you can get away with poking with it at a further range. Not only that, but when the 4 is blocked, it opens up all new guessing games of:
uppercut their poke
down+1 to interrupt them into b+3,4 again
walk back a hair into b+3,4
run up and stance guessing game/throw

People will fear the b+3,4, and once they do, you can run up and throw, stance into overhead~up missle, or stance 3,4 among other things. Seems like the best low of all time to me, and very safe once you understand how it works.
----------------------------

3) His zoning and projectiles are terrible

No, just no.

Homing up missile along with front up missile are great for full screen pressure when coupled with his straight horizontal missile. Once they are frustrated and start to move in, flame thrower puts an end to people ducking missiles without blocking as well as jumping in and dive kicking. Careful that flame thrower is punishable on block by some characters.

What allows Sektor to zone like this and so effectively is that if other characters try to zone you back, you can telupp on reaction to many of their projectiles, and even jump over then telupp immediately over others from full screen (think Noob tackle and slide projectiles). So they are risking full screen projectile damage vs your telupp 30 to 34% damage (if you go for wakeups or flame).

Also, when they do finally get in, you do great inside since Sektor's uppercut is quick, and 1 strings are great for pressure.

Homing Missile
This is not quite ridiculous since it does zero chip damage, but it is awesome for ending a match since it will hit your opponent out of whatever they were doing. Ermac lifts you while one is on the screen? He is getting knocked down while you take no damage due to interrupting before the slam. Shoot a homing missile vs Noob Saibot and he does down up slam? The homing missile will follow him off of the top of the screen and hit, sending you both to the floor with you taking no damage. The list is endless.

Since it will track, it basically forces them to take a guessing game from full screen as you follow it in. Very great round and match closer since it opens that opportunity for the last hit/combo to finish it out.
------------------------------

4) Gravity bug

Just thought I would add this since I found it a while back, but have not found a use for it and maybe one of you can. As you know, as you add more and more hits into a juggle, gravity increases more and more. I am going to call these Gravity Levels. So, you have the basic level of gravity, Gravity 1, Gravity 2, etc.

Get your opponent into the corner and do 1,2,b+1, and you will see them fall at Gravity 1. Do a juggle with 1,2,b+1 after that, and you will see Gravity 2, do another 1,2,b+1, and you will see Gravity 3 and they hit the ground very quickly.

The bug comes when your opponent in the corner, you launch them with 1,2,b+1, then do 1,2,2. When the chest explosion hits, they revert from Gravity 1 to Gravity 0, i.e. a slower level of gravity. You have a lot of delay after the string even though you can cancel the last hit into specials, but even with your delay, due to the slowing of their fall, you can get another 1,2,2 in. After that, they fall to the ground. One thing to note is that after you start your second 1,2,2 you can see them fall quicker, and just as the second 2 hits, it slightly delays their fall to the ground.

I have no idea why this happens or if there is any larger, useful application with Sektor or even other characters, but I figured I would throw it out there and see what others can come up with.
-----------------------------

5) Disadvantages

The only disadvantages I can see are having to use a bar for Ex Telupp on wakeup if you are knocked down in the corner, and the 2 of the 1,2,b+1 string whiffing unless you are right up against them.

I am off to trying to blow some people up with Sektor, and hit up WNF next week to see if I can do any damage. In the meantime, can anybody tell me why Sektor sucks?

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Everything you say is true. The problem is half the cast has even more awesome tools at their disposal.

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Unconkable from TZ? Honor to have you here!

Sektor's disadvantages are that he is kinda trash when cornered, he has no wake-up moves that have super armor, and his main overhead is quite slow.

Other than that, he's really good

Yeah its not that he is a terrible character, but like in every other game its about match ups! Sektor just has sub par match-ups.

Sektroll

Noob
Thanks for the replies everybody.

I am not Bronsan Tran, but I remember that guy was not bad at Tekken.

I think the constant threat of his low causes people to turtle up/duck block enough that you have plenty of opportunities for stance overhead/low/throw guessing games.

As far as being stuck in the corner, what is wrong with wakeup ex telupp other than the fact you need a bar?

D_Matt_Ma

Sheeva isn't Goro's wife. Goro is her husband.
Thanks for the replies everybody.

I am not Bronsan Tran, but I remember that guy was not bad at Tekken.

I think the constant threat of his low causes people to turtle up/duck block enough that you have plenty of opportunities for stance overhead/low/throw guessing games.

As far as being stuck in the corner, what is wrong with wakeup ex telupp other than the fact you need a bar?
Using a bar in this game is very painful. If you put it in perspective, kung lao and raiden get a wake-up with no bar needed. Sektor uses a bar for a move that is far slower, has less invincibility, and is less safe on block. It just comes down to what they have vs what Sektor has.

If you watch the WNF tonight of a Sektor vs Noob, you will see just how badly he got bodied. Even though RIP was playing a poor Noob (probably just fooling around), the Sektor had no chance against him spamming clones all day. Teleport is just too slow and he loses in the zoning. Pretty much, Sektor suffers from the same problem Stryker does. He's a keep away character that doesn't have the reward for other characters to respect his zoning.

He does have a few very good match-ups. Sektor vs. Kung isn't that bad, while Sheeva has almost no chance.

Yeah the overhead is great and all, but the range is laughable and its real easy to whiff AND it is so slow that its punishable before it even comes out.. Not really something I want to be forced to do every game, but I deal with it I guess.

Sektroll

Noob
If you watch the WNF tonight of a Sektor vs Noob, you will see just how badly he got bodied. Even though RIP was playing a poor Noob (probably just fooling around), the Sektor had no chance against him spamming clones all day. Teleport is just too slow and he loses in the zoning. Pretty much, Sektor suffers from the same problem Stryker does. He's a keep away character that doesn't have the reward for other characters to respect his zoning.

He does have a few very good match-ups. Sektor vs. Kung isn't that bad, while Sheeva has almost no chance.
Interesting. I actually think Sektor destroys Noob, and has a huge advantage in that matchup. It is very easy for you to react to a Noob projectile, jump it, telupp, and now you did huge damage and have the lead. He can no longer afford to trade projectiles with you so he has to come in, and Sektor destroys him up close. I feel like he does well vs Nightwolf, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Raiden as well.

Honestly, the only bad matchup I think he has so far is against Reptile, but keep in mind I have not played against a lot of the cast.

Why fighting Reptile sucks:
Can't trade projectiles since forceball leads to huge damage.
Character hitbox is the Tiny category giving him full combos on whiffed 4 from b+3 blocked into 4.
Dash elbow punishes Flame Thrower
He constantly has meter for breaking since his huge damage BnB uses none

smalltalk,
Range, whiffing, and slow are definitely bad things, but those are all eliminated since you are doing it when the opponent is expecting one of your many b+3,4s and is sitting there duck blocking.

Konqrr,
Thanks

Altsa

Only thing I dislike about Sektor is that his wakeup EX teleuppercut can be interrupted and when that happens, you wasted meter and you are still on the ground.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Good read! By the way, does Sektor's b+1 remind you of Feng's b+1? It just does for me. LOL.

As far as Sektor is concerned, I think you're severely underestimating the importance of super meter in this game as someone else had already mentioned, and we all know how much Sektor needs his meter. Unless it is used to kill your opponent, I honestly don't think any character should be wasting super meter on combos. Maybe if the combo does a lot of damage, and I'm talking about 50% or more excluding jumping punches. The point is that all the good stuff that Sektor has requires meter, namely enhanced TP on wake up and in combos and Homing Missile in zoning. However, you have to safe meter for combo breakers which cost two bars. For example, an S-tier character like Kano is able to do many of the things that Sektor is but without the use of meter (i.e., quick projectile with short recovery frames, a 7 frame anti-air, wake up, and panic attack that few characters can punish appropriately, low juggle [f+3,b+2] that leads into more damage than Sektor's, etc.)

SuperFX

YOU GET NOTHING
Everyone has made some solid points but here are a few things some of you are forgetting:

1) As the damage is toned down, super meter will become available for EX moves
- NRS has already toned some of the borderline 50% no meter combos down, and as the combo damage goes down the need to constantly have at least one meter on-board for possible break decreases. With more meter then being opened up, EX moves will be seen more, and Sektor just happens to have some really great ones.

2) Teleup is not as unsafe as you think
- TU is a risk, but the ability to do it midair helps against a number of characters. The ability to do jump attack -> upper or empty jump -> upper becomes a mixup. Does the opponent try to anti-air the jump-in, or wait for the upper? And if you have that meter on-board, it's a no-risk mixup as well. Of course this doesn't work on the entire cast, but the point of this post is not that Sektor is god tier, but that he is actually pretty good and people are sleeping on him.

3) His overhead is actually scary
- I understand the limitations of the move, but it's a lot faster than some of you seem to think. Sure, if players just throw the overhead out they're gonna get their asses busted, but why would you ever do that? It's a great tool used sparingly while the opponent is in blockstun and it looks enough like the low to often fool players. If the move IS slow enough to get interrupted, I wouldn't know. In fact, if you're slapping attack buttons while in blockstun in hopes that your opponent is going to do the overhead, your probably getting your ass kicked and he doesn't need to do it.

Also, to the guy who mentioned Rip and Noob v. Sektor: Conk played Rip last week and Rip got bodied something terrible. Rip was actually telling me it almost made him consider switching to Sektor.

ps. what interrupts EX Teleup? I've not seen it happen.

Overall: again, this is not the 'Sektor is most def. top tier' thread, it's the 'sektor is pretty damn good' thread. I have yet to see anyone prove this incorrect.

I think what people are experiencing with the ex teleport getting interupted is that they aren't really using it on wake-up, but they are triggering it way too late after they hit the ground

Interesting. I actually think Sektor destroys Noob, and has a huge advantage in that matchup. It is very easy for you to react to a Noob projectile, jump it, telupp, and now you did huge damage and have the lead. He can no longer afford to trade projectiles with you so he has to come in, and Sektor destroys him up close. I feel like he does well vs Nightwolf, Kung Lao, Liu Kang, and Raiden as well.
I knew that problem since the start. Ive noticed that his trows is fast enough to catch sektor. I main sektor and mostly when i see ppl switch to noob i have fight more seriouse. Too much for sektor tough. In al ways u can see his disadvantage. I tryed to find ways to stop his anoying zoning but ye .
A good noob wil be so hard for sektor >< but i like chalenge after al.
(Ive noticed that sektor can also punish kano upbal with the 1.2.b1 startup wich satisfy me. )

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner

Honestly, the only bad matchup I think he has so far is against Reptile, but keep in mind I have not played against a lot of the cast.

Why fighting Reptile sucks:
Can't trade projectiles since forceball leads to huge damage.
Character hitbox is the Tiny category giving him full combos on whiffed 4 from b+3 blocked into 4.
Dash elbow punishes Flame Thrower
He constantly has meter for breaking since his huge damage BnB uses none

smalltalk,
Range, whiffing, and slow are definitely bad things, but those are all eliminated since you are doing it when the opponent is expecting one of your many b+3,4s and is sitting there duck blocking.

Konqrr,
Thanks
About saying Sektor does well against Nightwolf, I could see it, but then I can't:
Sektor's range game is completely gone as Nightwolf can reflect ALL of Sektor's missiles (ex, normal, and his x-ray with ex reflect)
Nightwolf has the same damage as Reptile in terms of bnb now, Nw doing 38% no bar, and due to his ability to mix high and low easily, can build meter extremely fast.
Can punish Flame thrower with ex shoulder or shoulder

Sektroll

Noob
Ejin,
You quoted me, and seem to be agreeing with me, but also talk about how Sektor has a hard match vs Noob. He really blows Noob up. Jump projectiles and TU all day. There is no SF4 fireball FADC so once they commit to the projectile, they are getting comboed. If Noob spams up shadows just out of block range, you can try to punish it on whiff with a b+3, 4 after a slight dash (risky) or flame thrower/missile him for being a jackass. After one TU, you can afford to trade the rest of the match at long range if you like.

About saying Sektor does well against Nightwolf, I could see it, but then I can't:
Sektor's range game is completely gone as Nightwolf can reflect ALL of Sektor's missiles (ex, normal, and his x-ray with ex reflect)
Nightwolf has the same damage as Reptile in terms of bnb now, Nw doing 38% no bar, and due to his ability to mix high and low easily, can build meter extremely fast.
Can punish Flame thrower with ex shoulder or shoulder
I agree with just about everything except not being able to play the range game with Nightwolf. Reflect cannot reflect up missiles back at you. They just go straight up and do not come down after that. You can also duck reflected forward missiles on reaction unless you are point blank and they hit you in recovery. Once you get Nightwolf to commit to reflecting/lightning/arrows, all of that can be TUed. No doubt that when he gets in close, he is solid, but you can make him take some damage in order to get in to begin with.

TU basically says "You may be able to trade projectiles with me, but once I TU your projectile, you have to come in since you are lower on life.

Nightwolf is def tough, though, since shoulder charge and EX shoulder are so solid and force you to duck into lightning. I would put him at about even so I change my statement :)

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Ejin,
You quoted me, and seem to be agreeing with me, but also talk about how Sektor has a hard match vs Noob. He really blows Noob up. Jump projectiles and TU all day. There is no SF4 fireball FADC so once they commit to the projectile, they are getting comboed. If Noob spams up shadows just out of block range, you can try to punish it on whiff with a b+3, 4 after a slight dash (risky) or flame thrower/missile him for being a jackass. After one TU, you can afford to trade the rest of the match at long range if you like.

I agree with just about everything except not being able to play the range game with Nightwolf. Reflect cannot reflect up missiles back at you. They just go straight up and do not come down after that. You can also duck reflected forward missiles on reaction unless you are point blank and they hit you in recovery. Once you get Nightwolf to commit to reflecting/lightning/arrows, all of that can be TUed. No doubt that when he gets in close, he is solid, but you can make him take some damage in order to get in to begin with.

TU basically says "You may be able to trade projectiles with me, but once I TU your projectile, you have to come in since you are lower on life.

Nightwolf is def tough, though, since shoulder charge and EX shoulder are so solid and force you to duck into lightning. I would put him at about even so I change my statement :)
But using Nw's reflect, wouldn't nw already be working his way in? At least that's the way I play. No reason whatsoever why Nw would stay back and just constantly reflect over and over. Sure they can be tu'd on reaction, but it seems like you're putting him in a stationary position just doing reflect/arrow/lightning. From mid-screen-close up, Nw dominates, Sektor is threatened by either a shoulder, lightning, or a dash in attack. (You might wanna test this, throw a missile from full screen, and get a Nightwolf to dash in reflect, see if you can punish it. You probably can.) I haven't fought a good Sektor (Hence why I said he dominates), so I won't say how the match-up is, however, I will defend him as you said it yourself, you have not played with the rest of the cast. Also, you're stuck in a position where you have to save meter for breaker constantly, as the only options you can do, are ex flamethrower, and ex tu+damage from Nightwolf and his wall carry combos.

You might have to show me how Sektor could threaten Nw, maybe we can talk this over sometime on AIM or privately?

Sektroll

Noob
But using Nw's reflect, wouldn't nw already be working his way in? At least that's the way I play. No reason whatsoever why Nw would stay back and just constantly reflect over and over. Sure they can be tu'd on reaction, but it seems like you're putting him in a stationary position just doing reflect/arrow/lightning. From mid-screen-close up, Nw dominates, Sektor is threatened by either a shoulder, lightning, or a dash in attack. (You might wanna test this, throw a missile from full screen, and get a Nightwolf to dash in reflect, see if you can punish it. You probably can.) I haven't fought a good Sektor (Hence why I said he dominates), so I won't say how the match-up is, however, I will defend him as you said it yourself, you have not played with the rest of the cast. Also, you're stuck in a position where you have to save meter for breaker constantly, as the only options you can do, are ex flamethrower, and ex tu+damage from Nightwolf and his wall carry combos.

You might have to show me how Sektor could threaten Nw, maybe we can talk this over sometime on AIM or privately?
I will try to get some vids of me playing against a bunch of characters tomorrow so you can get a better idea.

Hit me up with a PM if you want to discuss anything in particular.

smalltalk,
I thought only Smoke has the Don King hair? Never knew Sektor had it has well.

Death By Nines

Catharsis
Sektor doesn't suck. He has both reliable zoning and deals above average damage if he gets a pop-up. Problem's two-fold:

-When Sektor is getting pressured, unless you have meter or your opponent messes up their offense... you're in trouble. Let's not even talk about the corner rape certain characters can dish out against him.

-I hear you saying amazing things about b+3, and I agree that it is a goodtool to an extent[. However due to the fact that his overhead is easily reacted to, a good player probably never has to stand block against Sektor. This is a problem when Sektor absolutely has to open up his opponent if he has a big vitality deficit.

I still think he is a great character, but I just like perspective. There are other characters that can do what he does and better (even though that's not the debate).

Sektroll

Noob
Sektor doesn't suck. He has both reliable zoning and deals above average damage if he gets a pop-up. Problem's two-fold:

-When Sektor is getting pressured, unless you have meter or your opponent messes up their offense... you're in trouble. Let's not even talk about the corner rape certain characters can dish out against him.

-I hear you saying amazing things about b+3, and I agree that it is a goodtool to an extent[. However due to the fact that his overhead is easily reacted to, a good player probably never has to stand block against Sektor. This is a problem when Sektor absolutely has to open up his opponent if he has a big vitality deficit.

I still think he is a great character, but I just like perspective. There are other characters that can do what he does and better (even though that's not the debate).
Sektor getting pressured is not a problem due to his ultra fast uppercut that has a fat horizontal range often extending behind him and his standing 1, which is ultra quick for cross over anti air (1, dash 1, dash uppercut to keep it simple, but you can do much better)

Also, I keep hearing about these corner issues, but I have yet to experience it. Not saying it does not exist, but I always seem to have plenty of meter to get out of the corner with no problems.

Sektor opening up his opponent when down on life is one of the things he is the best at. I have yet to play anybody that can react to the overhead. When I say that, I do not mean react to a bad Sektor player only performing stance overhead and not throwing in stance 3,4. Still, I was talking to SuperFX and he believes it is possible to react to the hop once you see stance, so I will def not rule it out. So far, though, I am having great results with it.

I am saying a lot about b+3 since it is a quick, long range low that forces your opponent to duck from a distance. This means they are immobile and ripe for throws/stance guessing games. The worst that can happen is that your opponent will catch you mid b+3, 4 with a jumping crossup attack, and you get knocked far away in the opposite direction since you are in the air performing the 4 at that point.

My biggest problems at the moment are consistently hitting the sweet spot with b+3,4 against tiny characters where they have to block/get hit by the 4, so I am getting blown up when it whiffs. I think it is doable, but I need more practice. My other problem is getting greedy with TU in situations where I am cutting it too close, getting it blocked, then getting blown up. Hopefully I can work on improving both.

A friend is holding a session tonight, so I will try to cap the good and bad, and post up to see what people think. Granted, my comp might be ultra ass or not as good as a lot of people posting, so take the vids with a grain of salt.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Sektor getting pressured is not a problem due to his ultra fast uppercut that has a fat horizontal range often extending behind him and his standing 1, which is ultra quick for cross over anti air (1, dash 1, dash uppercut to keep it simple, but you can do much better)
I can vouch for this, Sektor's uppercut is as fast as Nw's. Though I can't say that it's the GO TO for pressure killing, nor say that it's good at all to throw out to kill pressure, but it's certainly a good anti air and it has good range.

Robotic

Gentleman.
[KINDA LONG] Hey all, new to the forum, I'm pleased and scared at the same time that there are devoted Sektor players out there who CLEARLY know more about this guy than I do!

I wanted to add my 2 cents to this thread, if it's cool with y'all. It would seem, as the game and players evolve over time spent playing this iteration of MK, that Sektor's goal will revolve around his ability to catch the opponent in his vortex.

The vortex is when an opponent is trapped by your offense and is forced to guess correctly on what you are attacking with and what area (high or low) you are attacking. They have little choice in the matter save for defensive guesses: A vortex will completely kill an opponents offensive options and force them into a lottery of correct guesses in order to escape it. If you played SF4, you'll know this is what high level Akuma (and Ibuki) players do. For all of his tools, Akuma's real power is realized when he knocks down the opponent. He then can begin a guessing game where if the opponent does not guess right, he will get lit up real fast, get knocked down, and begin the guessing game all over again: Do I block low? Do I block high? Do I wake up Ultra (X-Ray)? Do I tech a throw?

Sektor has beautiful options when knocking down, and, in my view, where he truly shines. He is probably the funnest character to use (really important for me, cmon, we are playing games, after all) when his vortex not only comes into play, but is successfully implemented on the opponent. To see Sektor's will imposed on an opponent who is guessing wrong is absolutley priceless.

The problem for me (and the reason why I'm posting in this thread) is what Sektor needs in order to perform a knockdown on the enemy and begin the vortex in the first place. If up close, Sektor has some GTFO of my face options, but it places the enemy too far away to begin a vortex. From far away, Sektor can play the missile game on some of the cast, but that will require hell of a lot of patience sprinkled with some yomi to be consistent with it. If a knock down occurs from this distance, forget it, you won't get to him in time.

So, that leaves the mid range game. Aside from the flame thrower, which I agree with everyone here, is an excellent tool, it does not knock down, it does not assist in beginning the vortex in any way. As it stands, I currently wait for a whiffed move from mid to close range (terrible, I know) and sweep. Very low percentage damage wise, but it's purpose to both knock down AND keep me close enough to begin the guessing game is invaluable.

This is why Sektor is a concern to me. Not sucks, because he clearly doesn't. It just seems that, eventually, people will begin to see the potential of Sektor is unleashed through the vortex, and the tools he is provided with in this game to begin the vortex suck. This is coming from a guy who doesn't speak in button combinations and data, just philosophy of play style, so take it with a spoonful of salt :) Now I must ask the better Sektor players out there (pretty much everyone here!), Am I wrong about this? What other tools can be utlized to take advantage of a knock down? Is his vortex as good as I think it is?

"What's good, what's poppin, what's crackin? What it is, how you livin, what's happenin?" -Mos Def

You would think he would be good after he knocks the opponent down, but most of the time those other characters have viable wake-up maneuvers that will get you the fuck off. Also, try staying close to a good Kung Lao player and see how good your "vortex" game is. It is a nightmare.

Also, does the word "vortex" you are using equivalent to "mix-up game"?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
You would think he would be good after he knocks the opponent down, but most of the time those other characters have viable wake-up maneuvers that will get you the fuck off. Also, try staying close to a good Kung Lao player and see how good your "vortex" game is. It is a nightmare.

Also, does the word "vortex" you are using equivalent to "mix-up game"?
Basically Vortex is mix up, but you have an extreme advantage during the vortex. Your opponent usually only has 3 options during a vortex.
1, They guess incorrectly and is placed back into the vortex.
2, They guessed correctly, but they are put at disadvantage, thus being put back into the vortex
3, They guessed correctly, and everyone is now at neutral.

As oppose to the Kung thing, apparently he's getting a nerf to his spin, so I guess rejoice?