What's new

Match Footage - Shirai Ryu Seeking Techniques For Getting Out of intense Corner Pressure (Shirai Ryu)

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
Hi guys.

As all Takeda mains can attest, when he is cornered, Takeda more or less tends to be screwed due to the fact that his armor can be so damn unreliable.

Please take a look at the video below of a fight that I had with a solid LIu Kang:

As you can see, I basically just had to wait for him to run out of stamina and/or for him to mess up. I want to get better, so can someone help me understand what, if any, are my non-passive options to go on the offensive in order to get out of that situation (other than relying upon the other player to make a mistake).

Thanks.

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71k
Console: Xbox One
Variation: Shirai Ryu

jaepeso170

I Have A Plan...Attack
U did pretty good. If I may make a suggestion....dont throw out the phase by itself too much, if you want you can use F12 2+4 ~ kunai. If you end your combos with kunai its a lot safer. Also when in the corner i have used the EX Flurry on wake up, honestly it has worked for me about 70% of the time....however it also depends on who you are fighting

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Waking up with EX Flurry or using it during gaps in strings or like at the end of strings maybe is probably your best bet since it's armor is more consistant and gives you a combo launcher. Just be careful, it can be beat out by fast strings if wake-up with it. You can use d1 and try poke out and or maybe d2(never tried d2) as those are your fastest normals. Well you have 11, but it's range sucks.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
As you implied, most Liu Kang's rush recklessly especially against the Takeda matchup... Make them respect EX teleport (especially in the corner).. Usually after you connect it for the 1st time, they will be expecting it every time Takeda is trapped but at-least this way you have a little more wiggle room with your options. Do not rely on EX teleport significantly though, it should only be used once or twice solely to train your opponent.

Ex Fist Flurry is very punishable as Liu Kang's strings are super quick, so I'd be wary to use it on wakeup.. However, depending on how far into the string Liu Kang is (if he is using a string which ends in kicks they are slow and can be beat with EX Fist Flurry) or the distance between you and Liu Kang (sweep distance) you might also be able to punish. This is when delayed wake up comes into play to continue the mind games...

For Takeda, Liu Kang is always an uphill battle in general and for the most part is not a fun matchup to even play lol.. Good luck!

Last edited:

craftycheese

I tried to throw a yo-yo away. It was impossible.
Is Ex teleport really the best option? I've stopped using it as a wake-up because I seem to get hit out of it more often than not regardless if a fast string hits me or not. Now I've never tried it against Liu, but I would assume he'd be able to knock you out of it as well since he's so fast.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
Is Ex teleport really the best option? I've stopped using it as a wake-up because I seem to get hit out of it more often than not regardless if a fast string hits me or not. Now I've never tried it against Liu, but I would assume he'd be able to knock you out of it as well since he's so fast.
To clarify, it is definitely not the best option nor the go to option, but when it is not expected, you can do work.. As stated earlier, you cannot use it constantly as you will just get punished when they expect it after wake.

The point of using it once or twice is to train the opponent (in this case Liu Kang) to respect the move which will make him have to take measures to not get hit by it recklessly, meaning he will not be blindly rushing at you, giving you more space to do different things on wake...

Last edited:

SOULWARRIOR 71K

XBL: SOULWARRIOR 71K PSN: SOULWARRIOR71K
Thanks for replies everyone. Your responses pretty much confirm that if you get cornered against a high pressure opponent, given that we can be poked out ex-flurry/ex-teleport, it really does come down to waiting for your opponent to make a mistake and capitalizing on it (which I suppose is the general strategy in fighting games anyway). It just makes me ask myself why I continue to punish myself by maining Takeda.

Just NJP, bruh.
:DOGE
I'm all about that NJP and front kicks until my opponent figures out how to stop it (and then I go for combos). It really pisses people off. LOL.

Pleasa

#NerfMisterChief
Hopefully now that all these recently released tier lists have him in bottom 3 we can get something good going Takeda's way... :REO

x MAD AXES x

Lighten up will ya!
I kinda laugh at how all you have to do is corner takeda and its basically gg lol. Maybe if his fist furry had two hits of armor he could deal with pressure better.

I still laugh when they wake up and I still have time to parry the ex teleport.

Malices' World

LOL!! @.@
I kinda laugh at how all you have to do is corner takeda and its basically gg lol. Maybe if his fist furry had two hits of armor he could deal with pressure better.

I still laugh when they wake up and I still have time to parry the ex teleport.
AHH look this guys got jokes >.<

aieches

#freeHomelee2016
Like I really wish I could have been present for " testing" sessions for takeda at nrs...

Oh and those " breathing hitbox" testing sessions for subzero....