What's new

Secrets/ Weaknesses to beating each character/ of each character

I wanna compile a list of the strategy/ weaknesses of every character in the game but i need help.

Examples: things people have told me that has helped tremendously against certain characters

**Note: I guess these depend on who you play for reference purposes I play kabal, Id rather list universal weaknesses but these are just examples.

Sub-Zero/ Fight him from a range but avoid trading with him when possible. Just outzone him and bait out slides for a BnB punishment kombo

**Quan Chi/ Always Block low. This has been the best advice ive ever got about a specific character. The theory behind this is his strings are slow and you can see the overhead hits coming because they are the second hit in his string (besides the UP3 or 4 one i forget. But few people use this actually) But by blocking low you eliminate a lot of his game.

?? Kabal/ Dont try to outzone/ Bait out spins (I know obvious)

Obviously i need help but thats what the great T.Y.M. is for

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
Good to see you on here, Chronic.

I'll give you some advice for fighting a few characters that have helped me:

Scorpion ~ Try to almost play him like you don't know how to. Never stand still, but never become too reckless or you'll get speared. Also, if you read that a 'Takedown' is coming -- Neutral Jump Punch all over that and if you feel the Ex Teleport coming; down+1 is the best option and most of the time, you can combo off it.

Liu Kang ~ I almost never block high against Kang. Don't fear his overhead, unless he's throwing out the one in that three-hit string. I don't feel like there's better advice than this. Try to frustrate him to use his 'Flying Dragon Kick' and you can get a free punish.

Kung Lao ~ Never stand over him, he'll 'Upspin' you. Never sit there and just block because he's got High-to-Low mixups and will do a lot of chip damage. Don't panic, play him your way and punish when the opportunity arises. Don't take a whole lot of chances or try new things, go with what works.

Sub-Zero ~ This a**hole I have no strategy for. Just pisses me off...the only way I'll beat him is if I can milk the clock.

Sindel ~ One of the few zoners I have a really hard time with. I try not to block low, she has a lot of overhead options she likes to throw out. Just be weary of her combo that hits low, I don't think she has too much options afterwards so fuzzy block it and her low Fireball. Pretty simple.

Ermac ~ Patience...patience...patience.

Reptile ~ I like to bait their mistakes with Rain. He kind of depends on the fighter, really.

Kitana ~ Ugh...the cheat code.

Johnny Cage ~

@Chronicoverburn
how is this going to help??... every character has different tools to deal with different situations.
Saying "Dont try to outzone" kabal when you are a freddy player is contradicting....
The way JC plays against subzero is so much different than reptile vs sub (an example)..... So idk how this is going to help

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
@Chronicoverburn
how is this going to help??... every character has different tools to deal with different situations.
Saying "Dont try to outzone" kabal when you are a freddy player is contradicting....
The way JC plays against subzero is so much different than reptile vs sub (an example)..... So idk how this is going to help
I'm with salad, "universal" strategies for beating a character are really going to do more harm than good. I applaud your effort but he's right, you're not gonna fight sz with jc the same way you would with a more mobile/teleport character. And the list goes on....
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

This is generally what you will want to do, depending on actual matchup you will have to adjust. It's a great starting point to give a quick overview

Not universal strategy. Think of it in terms of weaknesses to take advantage of, and punishment opportunities. The way you utilize your knowledge is based on the character you play. That being said, here are a couple I'm fairly good at.

Subzero- Dont bother approaching, his projectile doesn't chip, and his slide is blockable on reaction and extremely punishable. All you need to do is gain a small life lead and then turtle. Eventually he will be forced to come to you. Punish his approach in whatever way you see fit. Watch out for desperate ex. puddles. Patience is key vs. subzero. If subby goes offense, be aware of his ice claws trap (not sure on move name, the charge attack that freezes you and is unblockable when fully charged). Either he's gonna finish it out and try to catch you when you come out of freeze or stand up, or he's going to cancel it and come in with a 2,2, or his overhead kick.

Kung Lao- Lao is extremely mobile and will be all over the place if you allow it. Punish tele's with d2 if you can read it. If he starts using tele~2 and beats out your d2 (depending on d2 speed) you should be able to block high and either jump back or low poke. He might be inclined to throw a spin so if you see him start doing that adjust. Yomi! If he's using landed dive kicks to approach, punish by dashing forward and blocking high. His f4 is blockable on reaction, so you can safely block low to avoid his b3,3 and his f4,2 or whatever. Hat doesn't have advantage on hit anymore so if he gets you with one up close you can escape then. On block it's a fast punish. Spin is definitely punishable, so try to bait it out whenever he's close to you. Don't bother with jump ins, he can spin on reaction, and crossovers can be risky if he reads it.