What's new

Breakthrough - Stunt Double SDJC Patch aftermath: The Frustration is Real

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
TLDR: NRS didnt actually fix all of SD Johnny's whiffing and I'm slightly annoyed.

I cannot shake my disappointment here. I wasn't asking for buffs before the patch but after seeing so much change in other variations I honestly feel a bit shafted. Especially after the freight train of complaints that's steadily been rising in the Johnny Cage community. It was getting to the point where I could log onto TYM and there would be something on the front page about Cage. That was a GOOD sign to me. We were finally getting noticed. NRS couldnt possibly overlook our character's problems.

It was stated in the Patch Notes Kombat Kast that part of the point of this patch was to give a bit of a boost to underused characters and underused variations. This was exciting for me to hear because JC is already seldom used. SD and Fisty are so underused that you have to know someone to play them at a higher level. You see more Blood God/Sun God and Cryomancer than SD or Fisty. Hell, go online and hop into a room. You'll see in the scrolling stats that JC and his variations are barely used in comparison to most of the cast.

Then I hear the patch notes and it sounds good. No real buffs, but that's fine. I just want my whiffs fixed. Cut to this morning when I get in the lab and mess with him for a few hours.

114, 21, 12, B3, S4 seem to work correctly. Except the actually still dont. The mids in the strings hit correctly, but against small hitbox characters, the first high will still whiff if they are crouch blocking. Yay.

Ex-Forceballs whiff on small hitbox characters. It's sometimes distance dependent, and breathing animation dependent. You cant even do Ex-Forceballs point blank to small hitbox characters. It'll whiff and they can jab out. Yay #2.

113~Mimic Rising Shadow....ohhhhhh 113~MRS...I fucking loathe you. 113~MRS still whiffs on small hitbox characters. It also whiffs on MANY medium sized hitbox characters if I have my back turned to the screen. Yup, a very basic, already punishable with armor string into a special doesn't work. I'll go as far as to say it's a a violation of human rights that JC cant do 113~MRS on the whole cast. HAHAAHHAA YAAAAAAY #3.

Eclipse Kick (EX-Shadow Kick) can now be fired off right after Mimic Call. WHAT A BUFF! It adds next to NOTHING to SDJC's game. No extra advantage on block, you can still armor right through it. Someone is going to accidentally fire this off, lose a bar, and still get punished. What a pointless "buff".

Yeah...all that and we still lose our Mimics on parry or X-Ray. I get that they are powerful tool for JC to have, but why do they go away on parry? WHY PAULO WHY?!!??! It's a glitch and you know it!

Johnny is already kind of half assed...

We still have to do a D1 to combo. Doesnt that say it all? No other fucking character has to do a D1 after their opening string to complete a combo. It's janky, and awful. Just a slight bit more pop up F24 and we can look cool doing a 12 after it.

All of our air normals are shit. As are B2, D2, D3, B4, F4...B3 and S4 have only very specific uses. D3 and B4...LOL. We get it NRS, we'll use D4 and D4 only.

If NRS wanted people to actually play as SDJC, besides whiff fixing here are a few buffs that would have been nice:

Slight more popup after F24.
9 frame D3 with a bit less recovery.
B4 -10 on block.
Rising Shadow and Mimic Rising shadow come out in 9 frames so we can actually anti air with it.
EX-Mimic Call that we can run cancel. (Hey, why not? Unbreakable SZ got one)

Or how about this. Slow down the 3 in 113 to come out at 15 frames. So then we can do 113 or 11(pause)F2 and it's an actual mix up. I don't see why this would be a big deal considering Summoner, Hunter, Ronin and whoever else get impossible to block setups and 50/50. :joker:

You know what, just complete the whiff fixes for SD Johnny, and make it so 113~MRS actually hits everyone and I'll be happy. Still not asking for buffs here.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
@smokey @Chongo

He's not fine. He works.

Why can we not be upset about whiffing? You don't care that 113~MRS whiffs? WHY?
Theres bigger issues than that like getting truly safe mimic setups, just learn to avoid using it if you dont want to risk it whiffing. Still works in the corner and on some of the cast reliably.

The current patch has made an issue with Run cancels across the whole cast, not just A-list cage and as it was not mentioned during the stream or in patch notes NRS will probably make some comment on it soon enough.

Seriously though stop with the whining. We can be upset just dont have to make ANOTHER fucking thread on the same shit.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
@smokey @Chongo

He's not fine. He works.

Why can we not be upset about whiffing? You don't care that 113~MRS whiffs? WHY?
Don't use 113 mrs in match ups where it'll whiff. It's not that deep.
Maybe stunt double. A-List surely isn't
Good to know that everyone has come to the conclusion that after having the patch for not even a full day a list is now not even playable. RIP

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Don't use 113 mrs in match ups where it'll whiff. It's not that deep.

Good to know that everyone has come to the conclusion that after having the patch for not even a full day a list is now not even playable. RIP
A-list and all run-cancelers in general have some seriously funky shit going down today, NRS didnt mention changes to any of the run cancel stuff except for Liu Kang so its probably just a bug that will get hotfixed out. If it isnt then we should at least get an explanation on what happened to the timing for run cancels.

Chongo

Dead Kings Rise
A-list and all run-cancelers in general have some seriously funky shit going down today, NRS didnt mention changes to any of the run cancel stuff except for Liu Kang so its probably just a bug that will get hotfixed out. If it isnt then we should at least get an explanation on what happened to the timing for run cancels.
I saw that, but i don't see the point of tym losing their minds over what could just be a bug. I'd wait for Paulo to say something before freaking out

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Theres bigger issues than that like getting truly safe mimic setups, just learn to avoid using it if you dont want to risk it whiffing. Still works in the corner and on some of the cast reliably.

The current patch has made an issue with Run cancels across the whole cast, not just A-list cage and as it was not mentioned during the stream or in patch notes NRS will probably make some comment on it soon enough.

Seriously though stop with the whining. We can be upset just dont have to make ANOTHER fucking thread on the same shit.
How did we go from not wanting buffs and just whining about whiff fixes, to "Let's not whine about whiffing either.". How can anyone look at their broken character and go, "I'm ok with this. I just wont use that move."?

113 is unsafe. There's no special to cancel that makes it safe. You have to have a mimic and you have to use the mimic to make it safe. Because anything after 11 is super easy to block and hit confirming 11 is incredibly difficult you have to settle for 113~Mimic Shadow Kick or blow a bar. Why even use the 113? 114~MSK works the same way at that point and does more chip. Not to mention what not being able to use 113~MRS means for punishment options.

Noooo, I think I'd rather have the move work like it's supposed to instead of just avoiding it's use.

I'm not looking for safe mimic setups. I'm looking for a bugged move to work like it's supposed to.

Death

Noob
That run cancel shit will be fixed. There's no way it doesn't.
I wouldnt count on it. Its looking like its universal fix to all run cancel characters. A list cage still has its cancels just not as plus as it was. The change looks intented to be honest.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Not really true. They are still plus I think but just not as plus. You can still cancel out of them and block cassies Power Kick but it is a lot tighter.
First we lost Fisticuffs, now A-List...next patch: Stunt-Double xD

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
How did we go from not wanting buffs and just whining about whiff fixes, to "Let's not whine about whiffing either.". How can anyone look at their broken character and go, "I'm ok with this. I just wont use that move."?

113 is unsafe. There's no special to cancel that makes it safe. You have to have a mimic and you have to use the mimic to make it safe. Because anything after 11 is super easy to block and hit confirming 11 is incredibly difficult you have to settle for 113~Mimic Shadow Kick or blow a bar. Why even use the 113? 114~MSK works the same way at that point and does more chip. Not to mention what not being able to use 113~MRS means for punishment options.

Noooo, I think I'd rather have the move work like it's supposed to instead of just avoiding it's use.

I'm not looking for safe mimic setups. I'm looking for a bugged move to work like it's supposed to.
Well I dont care about the bugged move working properly when:
You cant hit confirm 11 so you always commit.
You can fuzzy guard 113/11 f2 every time with the same timing on block.
113~anything is interruptible on block with armour so smart players don't even have to block your unsafe nutpunch to punish you, and they also dont have to block your EX forceballs or your clone moves which are + on block.
You need to SKRC to make it SAFE to throw out. If you are in Stunt Double you cant make 113 safe and you cant hitconfirm it so you just do it and deal with the consequences.
For punishing just do 1,2~mimic db1?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Well I dont care about the bugged move working properly when:
You cant hit confirm 11 so you always commit.
You can fuzzy guard 113/11 f2 every time with the same timing on block.
113~anything is interruptible on block with armour so smart players don't even have to block your unsafe nutpunch to punish you, and they also dont have to block your EX forceballs or your clone moves which are + on block.
You need to SKRC to make it SAFE to throw out. If you are in Stunt Double you cant make 113 safe and you cant hitconfirm it so you just do it and deal with the consequences.
For punishing just do 1,2~mimic db1?
Alright. Work arounds and acceptance. To each their own.

I know you've seen that stance dependent 113~MRS whiffing bullshit. How can you be ok with that?

Wigy

There it is...
I'd be okay with not getting buffs if quan hadn't got two huge ones.

Other higher tier characters got better ones too.

If they weren't guna buff jc properly the least they could do was thorough fixes, which they haven't.

Hoping the RC nerf gets rolled back or JC will be pooper tier

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Alright. Work arounds and acceptance. To each their own.

I know you've seen that stance dependent 113~MRS whiffing bullshit. How can you be ok with that?
Im fine with it because its a game and life goes on. The games been out for months and ive played other fighters with character specific whiffing and combos that dont work on half the cast, where you have to learn 3 or 4 bnb combos and remember which members of the cast you can use them on.
This time I just learned "113~mrs doesnt combo reliably" so I rarely have problems with it. Theres like nearly 100 variations in the game, if you are that upset at how SD plays then broaden your horizons.

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
Im fine with it because its a game and life goes on. The games been out for months and ive played other fighters with character specific whiffing and combos that dont work on half the cast, where you have to learn 3 or 4 bnb combos and remember which members of the cast you can use them on.
This time I just learned "113~mrs doesnt combo reliably" so I rarely have problems with it. Theres like nearly 100 variations in the game, if you are that upset at how SD plays then broaden your horizons.
I guess I can't look at it that way. I paid money and would appreciate a working product.

If I order a pepperoni pizza and it shows up with no pepperoni's I dont just let it slide...If I pay $70 a month for 50D/10U internet and only get 10D/2U I dont let it slide.This is no different.

Funny story about trying other characters. I've tried a bunch, others that I liked, such as Kano, also had QA issues where the character didn't work right.

Snap4

SN4P4
If I order a pepperoni pizza and it shows up with no pepperoni's I dont just let it slide...If I pay $70 a month for 50D/10U internet and only get 10D/2U I dont let it slide.This is no different.
I think you're comparing things a bit unfairly here. You purchased MKX - a video game. No more, no less. Put it in your console and start the game, if it works then you are getting what you paid for.

If you think you are alone with your JC problems just go to the other character threads. Did you know all of Jason's mids can still be low profiled? How's that for being hindered?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
I think you're comparing things a bit unfairly here. You purchased MKX - a video game. No more, no less. Put it in your console and start the game, if it works then you are getting what you paid for.

If you think you are alone with your JC problems just go to the other character threads. Did you know all of Jason's mids can still be low profiled? How's that for being hindered?
The fact that I'm not alone is the sad part. That's why I made this post. The JC whiffing shit has been everywhere. They attempt to fix it and then fail to do so. If I worked for NRS QA i'd be embarrassed.