What's new

Screw, My drawing sucks but...

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I'm still going to share it.
On the current time i don't do these much often like i used to do last year, but please have a look, i'm a great fan of Japanese Blades, Swords in particular, so don't blame me if you see a lot of character with swords in a non distant future.

GrandMasterson

The Netherrealm beckons
You seem to be uncertain how muscles in the arm work. I'd say practice studying upper body anatomy more.

Your clothing folds look pretty good, though. Got a thing for characters with red all over, I see. ;)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
I like it. You and me have similar drawing styles :)

i think you forgot "it" on the title btw
show me some plaese

You seem to be uncertain how muscles in the arm work. I'd say practice studying upper body anatomy more.

Your clothing folds look pretty good, though. Got a thing for characters with red all over, I see. ;)
yes i do, and with swords too, its a perfect combination ^^
And i still dunno how to draw honestly, i'm no way near to your level ^^

shaowebb

Get your guns on. Sheriff is back.
A bit loose on anatomy and symmetry but showing some strong use of perspective and definitely showing easy signs of having enough skill to clean up your problems with a bit of structured practice. Strengthen your fundamentals on structuring your drawings first with geometry and it'll clear up most if not all your real issues Eddy Wang. I suggest figure drawing here and there using posemaniacs.com

I definitely see you as someone who can draw, but who needs some more structured practice to clean up your work. I like it though. I wont be one of those folks who will just tell you something is good though because its hard to grow as an artist without real feedback. PM me sometime. We can chat and I can maybe help you out on any particulars you're worried about.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
A bit loose on anatomy and symmetry but showing some strong use of perspective and definitely showing easy signs of having enough skill to clean up your problems with a bit of structured practice. Strengthen your fundamentals on structuring your drawings first with geometry and it'll clear up most if not all your real issues Eddy Wang. I suggest figure drawing here and there using posemaniacs.com

I definitely see you as someone who can draw, but who needs some more structured practice to clean up your work. I like it though. I wont be one of those folks who will just tell you something is good though because its hard to grow as an artist without real feedback. PM me sometime. We can chat and I can maybe help you out on any particulars you're worried about.
No problem man, i will definitely seek your help from time to time.

KombatNerd

Justice 4 Firestorm
The main thing that I feel could be improved is the left arm. The line makes it look like his elbow is showing and the arm is twisted somehow. Other than that, it's really nice!

shaowebb

The key is dont try to draw the whole body at once. Lightly lay down shapes and geometry on the page in the layout of a human. There are all kinds of different geometrical layouts of shapes you can use for figure drawing and honestly some are better for some poses than others and each artist ends up having their own preference for layouts. Here's one I found someone uses for laying out the poses their model uses in the figure drawing class they teach.

General layouts are some variation of the following.
  • Sphere for head with a jaw outline drawn under it. Sometimes the bottom sphere is the eye line for some artists and other times its the nose. It all depends on whether you draw your hair inside of the sphere or on top of it later honestly, but spheres let you layout which way the head faces.
  • Small neck shape. Usually a cylinder but some take this shape and combine it on body builders with all the muscles from the collar bone to the shoulders.
  • Either a sphere , box or ribcage shape for the chest. This is a MAJOR point of variance between artists and you should experiement with many. Most artists draw breasts on females by attaching squashed spheres to this shape or by simply drawing an upside down heart connecting to the base of the neck to get the shape right. However, a turned chest ALWAYS means one breast is facing the camera and one is at a side view unless you are entirely at a side or top angle.
  • Stomach...sometimes they dont draw it and other times its a sphere. Your call. Spheres are pretty popular though and allow you to create deformations. The bigger the sphere the bigger the belly on your character. Just remember that the hips on the next shape maintain their distance from the RIBS not the stomach if you try to make a fatty. This is how you avoid stretching characters.
  • Hip shape. Its usually a box but some old school artists still layout everything with 3 spheres (chest, stomach, hips) because it allows for lots of arching. I use boxes because it lets you get the angle correct on the leg for side views. Just remember the ass and crotch attach to this shape. They lay on top of it and the groin doesn't go all the way down. Leave a gap slightly above the base of the hip shape and draw the base of your groin there. This lets you get the crotch outline right on side views during walking and kicking poses and avoids the whole "GI.Joe figurine with two sticks attached to a stomach for legs" look.
  • Legs are cylinders with a bit of curve to them. Use references to figure out how you like them.
  • Knees vary. Some use spheres under the upper leg,some put them overlapping the upper and lower leg, some use dashes just to mark them, some use boxes and some make up their own shape. Practice drawing legs from photos and make your own call for whatever helps you visually tell the easiest where your lines should go.
  • Lower leg same as the upper leg scenario...find a reference make a shape. I STRONGLY suggest studying King of Fighters art for this. They have some really good stuff on this.
  • Feet are their own beast. Practice JUST FEET alone before you get big on this. Make up shapes just to draw them. Practice them from all angles and poses. Do what you can starting out, but practice these.
  • Arms get the exact same instructions as legs except circles are ALWAYS used for shoulders. Generally 2.5 times the width of the head=female and 3=male. Some males can get up to 4 but you start getting Hulk levels of deformed then. Use references.
  • Hands are like feet only harder on perspective. Practice them by themself over and over again.
You can see all that happening in the example I posted.

Honestly though PRACTICE USING REFERENCES OF REAL PEOPLE! I cannot stress this enough. I went to a convention and had Steve Scott, Jim Calafiore, and several other major DC artists and begged them to put me through the ringer. The only thing they all had to say was stop drawing from comics and draw off of real people. If you draw from comics it will be like the 5th xerox of a photo...so distorted its lost its basic substance. That is literally what they told me every time. Its that important. You can stylize and shit, but learn your basics and you will have more control.
Layout your images with rough shapes. Dont try to get them right on the first pass. I make a bunch of swirlies lightly for my circles and when I get a general outline I like I move onto the next shape for my layout. When I'm all done roughing a bunch of loose shapes I erase all the extra lines I didn't need in no time at all. I mean I'm not pressing down hard on my paper because Im not worried about making a mistake in my layouts. THATS WHAT ITS FOR! Dont press hard dont struggle with erasing. Thats why I use 2b (really brittle and dark) art pencils to start placing my real outlines and details too. If I make a mistake with something like that it still erases because its not mashed into the paper.

I'll try and film something soon for you guys just to go over roughs. For now find a picture and JUST do some geometry in that pose and dont try to draw it all at once. Get a limb the right rough geometrical shape loosely and then use it to measure how far away the next shape is from it. Proceed along like that and you will proportion it right AND have all the proper geometry laid out on it for your cleanup and main pencils. At that point its like tracing something and adding embellishment.

EDIT: Shit...forgot my logitech camera only works on photo mode now and then only in standard low def and not even wide screen. Long story, but even out of the box it had that "reversed controls" problem some had and its steadily lost functions over the past year. I'm getting another soon, but it may be awhile on that video unless I resort to smaller videos in photoshop using a tablet and screen capture.

shaowebb

Also here are some notes I made for a friend on the geometry I use on faces. I get super expressive in Animation and as such I got to go more intricate in my facial geometry to layout my stuff in closeup shots that need good emotion in them.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Still a million times better than my drawing.

I think the best drawing that I ever did is the draft that I made for a sculpture that I'm working on in art class. It's heavily inspired off of Meta Knight(Kirby) and Dante(DMC)

I should take a pic of it and share it to make yourself feel better while laughing at my inferior drawing skillz.

shaowebb

Still a million times better than my drawing.

I think the best drawing that I ever did is the draft that I made for a sculpture that I'm working on in art class. It's heavily inspired off of Meta Knight(Kirby) and Dante(DMC)

I should take a pic of it and share it to make yourself feel better while laughing at my inferior drawing skillz.
I dont laugh at other people's art and I honestly dont think any artist should unless someone is getting all dickish to folks about something they did if you can see a ton of mistakes.

I look at folks art and take it for what it should be...a road marker. I look, I try to see where they are and what they do or dont do well and if I see anything I know how to make easier I'll pass it along. I think most artists who are worth anything get this way because after all the work it takes to be able to do the kind of work that you can get paid for you respect how hard it was to get there and would like to make it easier for someone else just to know they wouldn't need to suffer as badly as you did.

If I can help folks I will and the good artists will as well. Only douchebags will try to make themselves feel better by putting down someone else. Art or otherwise. Good artists dont need to lord over folks. They just want folks to enjoy what they do and they work at it. They dont get off on treating folks badly for wanting to be like them or someone else they admire. They just hope to inspire folks and pass along what they can.

If you got art put it up. If nothing else we can all help each other grow because we all have our own perspectives and insights to share. Even beginner artists sometimes have a method they are using for certain things they do that can turn out helpful to someone. One of my best techniques for hips I got from a complete beginner's attempt at finding a way to draw folks who were playing basketball that I witnessed one day.