What's new

Guide - Ninjitsu Scorpion's gap between 2,1,4 mindgames and down 4 punishment at max range

So ive been wondering about this for a while. When I play online people are just conditioning themselves to block the 214 after my restand. I know there is a gap before the 4, so I know this is dangerous as hell against a seasoned player. I used to throw a lot after my combo restand, but now I don't as people are ducking or teching the throw (I still do not believe the hard knockdown warrants at any time at the end of a combo unless I'm running them into the corner, which scorpion does not excel at anyways due to his lack of pressure in the corner in Ninjitsu)

I wanted to know if it was okay to space out my 214s into 212s. On block it is only -4 which means it isn't punishable but I would have to block, but that way, I don't always have to stagger into a down 4 or throw, as I believe that become predictable too. Do you guys think throwing out a 212 occasionally will condition a decent player to block the 214 when it comes out? I like the range the 4 leaves you at, as you can standing 3 punish or bait your opponent with a back dash to whiff punish by a forward 2.

PS: on a side note, how punishable is Scorpion's down 4 at max range? Any characters that can punish this at max range? Im starting to notice you can back dash a blocked forward 2 thus making punishments have to be advancing to get you off your offense completely (I'm looking at you Jason Vorhees)

Last edited:

big j gleez

Mains: Not Sure Right Now ...
I use 212 a lot. It works. There is also a lot of block stun on 212 so it is weird countering it if someone isn't used to it. I would recommend it to change things up for sure.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Scorpion has one of the best d4s in the game, you can use it even to whiff punish some fast recovering normals.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Okay -
First I will answer your questions directly, and then offer some input of my own.

1 - 212 is a good way to feel opponents tendencies and should be mixed in with your post-restand game.
2 - D4 at max range, you gotta watch out for the usual suspects, predator etc etc. otherwise you're relatively safe.

Let me ask you, how do you approach a match with ninjitsu?
What are your conditioning strategies?
Do you play risky or safe?

The reason I ask, is he has so many conditioning tools, your issue may not be in the tool itself but your approach to applying mindgames with the 21X strings.

21 is +2 on block. You can check your opponent with D1.

212 is the perfect way to get some respect for 214.

Don't be afraid to counter poke with EX takedown after a negative string like 212. That will definitely get some respect on your name. After getting hit by it once your opponent will look for it because it's too good of an opportunity to punish if they guess right.