What's new

Scarlets new variation

I don't consider myself good by any measurement but frankly I don't see any situation in which you'd pick this variation over any of the other 2. Losing either tentacle or teleport is a major blow. Connecting boiling point online is also really iffy at least right now.

Vigilante24

Beware my power, Red Lantern's Light
I don't consider myself good by any measurement but frankly I don't see any situation in which you'd pick this variation over any of the other 2. Losing either tentacle or teleport is a major blow. Connecting boiling point online is also really iffy at least right now.
It feels like a "counter pick" variation to use for certain matchups. Blood Drive and Heart Pierce can cover most MUs but there are some that they both struggle against. Right now this new variation seems to be the way to go vs Scorpion. As time goes on, there will probably be more matchups this variation is better to use in.

It feels like a "counter pick" variation to use for certain matchups. Blood Drive and Heart Pierce can cover most MUs but there are some that they both struggle against. Right now this new variation seems to be the way to go vs Scorpion. As time goes on, there will probably be more matchups this variation is better to use in.
How would this help you against scorpion? Is it the dot?

Vigilante24

How would this help you against scorpion? Is it the dot?
Boiling Point being 23f now allows Skarlet to punish spear from 3/4 of the screen away and for 18%. With the other 2 variations, you can only punish from half screen away with Blood Tentacle (unless you duck spear) and only for 8%. Other than that, it's her most damaging variation. Scorpion already negates her zoning. Minus well get the most damage possible when you hit him.

King Gambler is using this new variation vs all Scorpions 100% of the time now on his streams and in tournaments.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I think for skarlet this is going to be my go to second variation
My main is still teleport and parry

Boiling Point being 23f now allows Skarlet to punish spear from 3/4 of the screen away and for 18%. With the other 2 variations, you can only punish from half screen away with Blood Tentacle (unless you duck spear) and only for 8%. Other than that, it's her most damaging variation. Scorpion already negates her zoning. Minus well get the most damage possible when you hit him.

King Gambler is using this new variation vs all Scorpions 100% of the time now on his streams and in tournaments.
Interesting, thank you!

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
So is Scarlet basically the only character with 3 viable variations that can all be considered different enough in style?

1: blood port and parry as a generalist variation
2: siphon and enhanced ball for restand shenanigans and setups as a great zoning variation
3: sheer combo damage output as a variation for when zoning isnt an option (or you just really wanna suck an opponent dry)

I cant think of anyone else with 3 variations that have enough nuance to be different while also all being viable. Scorpion, Shang, Erron, Raiden, and Cassie make it with the nuance; but not viability. Kitana, Kabal, and Johnny make it with the viability; but not the nuance.

I guess an argument could be made that Jacqui's variations are different enough and viable too, but she's the only other character I can think of.

Vigilante24

So is Scarlet basically the only character with 3 viable variations that can all be considered different enough in style?

2: siphon and enhanced ball for restand shenanigans and setups as a great zoning variation
3: sheer combo damage output as a variation for when zoning isnt an option (or you just really wanna suck an opponent dry)

I cant think of anyone else with 3 variations that have enough nuance to be different while also all being viable. Scorpion, Shang, Erron, Raiden, and Cassie make it with the nuance; but not viability. Kitana, Kabal, and Johnny make it with the viability; but not the nuance.

I guess an argument could be made that Jacqui's variations are different enough and viable too, but she's the only other character I can think of.

Sub Zero is another one. Mix, zoning/space control, and pressure/corner trap/setup character across 3 variations. I agree tho Skarlet is blessed to have 3 variations that actually somewhat change her playstyle while also being viable. :)

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet

I think one could argue that Kitana has three different variations that are viable (the exception might be fan-fare but it does have the highest combo damage I believe)

Jowabunga

Woooooooooooooo!
I played a few rounds offline last night using Hemorrhage and had a bitch of a time getting Boiling Point to target correctly consistently. Probably just need to lab it a bit.

Otherwise, I think i still prefer Blood Drive. Boiling point is great but the shield seems "eh" from a "i'd rather do something more proactive" perspective and I flat out don't like Red Mist. How are y'all using it? I've tried cancelling into it from various strings/normals nd most of the time it whiffs due to pushbox and small hitbox.

Edmund

Kitana & Skarlet
I played a few rounds offline last night using Hemorrhage and had a bitch of a time getting Boiling Point to target correctly consistently. Probably just need to lab it a bit.

Otherwise, I think i still prefer Blood Drive. Boiling point is great but the shield seems "eh" from a "i'd rather do something more proactive" perspective and I flat out don't like Red Mist. How are y'all using it? I've tried cancelling into it from various strings/normals nd most of the time it whiffs due to pushbox and small hitbox.
I usually will use it mid string like f4 then mist? Or I’ll do 124 mist because of the restand but I truly only remember to use it in the corner and it’s not super effective bc i play her mid-range rush down so I’m rarely in the zone for it to work

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Boiling point has bug while aiming, either that or the timing is way too strict

Wavy

Block Spammer
Found out about this in match randomly: Its extremely unsafe but doing red mist when someone flawless blocks punishes gives you the restand. Likely pretty obvious amongst yall. I just never thought about it. Probably depends on who's punishing and likely doesn't affect u3's. It happened in match and used it multiple times and just bs'd my way to a win. lmao. Didn't lab it. Thought it was funny to see tho.

Edit: Days later after actually labbing it. It's works when people flawless block but are slow to do the u2. Against good players who flawless block ~ into punish immediately it sucks so much. Given that it does have slower startup than parry.

Last edited:
I found an easy way to target boiling point. The inputs says to do bf4,f to do the far one. But if you follow it the mid one comes out. You have to hold f without releasing it as you press 4. So the input to make the far one work 100% of the time is to just do bf4 while holding f. Likewise to do the close one you just hold b. So the inputs for that is bf4, hold b. Hope this all helps for those that have trouble.

Lately I've been using it in neutral and been catching people from full screen with it who aren't crouch blocking.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
The input on boiling point directional is very late, the way you'd input a really late teleport for it to happen after a 124.

I like hemorrhage. I think for a character that is gonna rush you down and likely get in despite your blood tentacle it should be viable.
The dmg on boiling point is :D