What's new

(Salty) I'm trash and I need help

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Hey guys I'm very bad at Injustice 2 and I'd like to not be garbage anymore. The video below shows 3 ranked matches I played as Red Hood. I felt like I played very poorly, which probably means they're good for finding out what my issues are.

Sometimes it feels like my issue is matchup unfamiliarity (trying to press buttons after Wonder Woman's 223) while other times it feels like bad reads, reactions or me just playing poor in general. I always find self-reflection hard in fighting games so I'm wondering if you guys can help me out in that regard.

First... You abuse too much of the Red Hood advancing wake up... (note... Your best wake up is delay wake up.. only do wake up if You see the opponent pressing buttons).
In the cold match up... You must zone Cold always and counter combo Him when He comes back to You.
there's some frame data for You to study
There's more on You tu be

DDutchguy

In the cold match up... You must zone Cold always and counter combo Him when He comes back to You.
Well I did try zoning him but it feels like my quick shot and gotham stars take too long to recover for me to win any trades. Cold can do back-to-back ice shots and I can either trade in his favor or try to get in.

What exactly do you mean by counter combo-ing him when we're up-close?

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Well I did try zoning him but it feels like my quick shot and gotham stars take too long to recover for me to win any trades. Cold can do back-to-back ice shots and I can either trade in his favor or try to get in.

You can punish him for mashing those cold shots though by using your air guns. The trick to a zoning war is usually momentum. Once you get a knockdown and get a rhythm going you can keep him on the back foot. You'd want to watch for patterns and if he just keeps mashing those shots, jump and punish him hard. Land, throw out a mine and start zoning. Any time you get a knockdown or enough advantage, throw another mine.

And I think what he means is, when cold starts to come to you, use that to catch him. If he's trying to advance, your b2 or F2 are both nice advancing normals. b2 itself is amazing.

Dont get me wrong, Im shitty at this game myself. Im just making some observations.

MU stuff is always important, in any game, but in NRS games it takes on a life of its own IMO. You dont have to commit every single thing for every single character to memory, but most characters are going to have a small handful of key things, and knowing what those things are, and what you can do about them is important. KNowing whats + and what's punishable is generally where I like to start.. Along with any super common setups and what to do about them, for characters that have those sorts of things

When You are the zoner... In Your mind You must counter attack Him (anti air and Shimmy Him(Walk back and whiff punish). It's zoner 101... You must capitalize their impatience.:DOGE

EntropicByDesign

Fair point, I'll remember that. Only downside is that air shots are -2 on hit

As in getting a jump punch when he does ice shot? It recovers fairly quickly though so I don't think I can do that unless he does two in a row.
Or air shot, or MB air shots. Even if he blocks your jump in, so long as he doesnt d2 anyway, you at least get in front and through his zoning if thats what you're struggling with.. and since everything cold has is a high, lol. You can work your neutral, and Hood has a good neutral.

When it comes to getting in, you kinda watch for patterns. Its obviously a lot easier for me to say it than it is to do it and I fuck it up or dont watch like I should in the heat of the moment, but if you get a read on a pattern, like he always shoots twice, or thrice, or he does this and then always does such and such after, etc, you can use that as data for decision making. You can also try to bait his shots. A lot of people have triggers, if you move into a certain range, it causes a specific reaction, finding that stuff will let you bait him. It could be as simple as walking close enough so he stops shooting, then taking a step or two backwards on purpose to find that zone where he starts spamming his shots again. Find that and you can trigger his zoning and if you know what's coming, you can blow him up for it.

VSC_Supreme

TYM's #1 L taker.
As long as you acknowledge you want to improve I think it's a good first step.

I'm a notorious scrub (pulled a PL13-0 Special at my scene just last week) but realized I get caught up in the moment when playing and my reaction times become worse and just play terribly. When I get caught up sometimes i just try to relax, take a deep breathe, realize its just a game and start to pay a bit more attention and think about what's going on and what I can really do during a match which helps my play greatly.... Still gonna throw out the slide repeatedly in neutral tho.

AZ MotherBrain

If you believe enough, -7 could be +7
I don't think your bad. Looks like you didn't know those match up, cold/star/WW, as most of tym wouldn't. If I were you I would just lab more. It seemed like you werent sure if you should zone or go in. Your gameplan in all three games were a bit all over the place. I would be too in those match ups as I have no set game plan for those characters.

Basically I think you just need to study match ups more and get a more solid game plan for certain characters

EntropicByDesign

Ok I labbed it a tiny bit..if you punish an Ice shot with meterburned air guns you get a mine out on landing and get the momentum shift. You can advance, or since it's Capt. Cold, start your own zoning.

Also, don't forget at full screen away, like full screen, you can combo trait shot with stars with the right timing, dumb and situational as hell but it's extra damage, and even if they block and you get the follow-up off that it's more chip. It's helped me out a couple times in zoning wars. In normaxl matches and vs good opponents you aren't going to randomly land full screen stars, but vs other zoners or someone trying to get the momentum back, it's.kinda surprising how often you'll get hits as they try to get a projectile out or whatever.

Bender

Product Manager. xBone tag: I3end3r.
I think you need to work the opponent to the corner a little better, as this is where redhood shines. Happy to grab some games with you sometime xbt: Luminary Bender

Redk9

Noob
Having multiple different people make theory fighting suggestions on your gameplay videos is going to be more confusing then helpful. I'd recommend actually playing someone in a set, preferably with a mic, and after each match they let you know what you could improve on

thlityoursloat

kick kick
It honestly just seems like you were frustrated as hell with your opponents, I could especially feel your teeth grinding at that WW in the end lol.

DDutchguy

Your gameplan in all three games were a bit all over the place.
Yeah that's true. Often times I don't really have a gameplan in mind, I just go with the flow.

Having multiple different people make theory fighting suggestions on your gameplay videos is going to be more confusing then helpful. I'd recommend actually playing someone in a set, preferably with a mic, and after each match they let you know what you could improve on
Good call, I've been thinking of playing a set with someone with mics on. I'll try to do that sometime this week.

I do appreciate the theory crafting personally, helps me figure out what my options ade. I don't find it confusing.