What's new

Tech - Goro "Safe Jump" setup and it's variations

First things first, this is not your typical "safe jump setup". Usually, a safe jump setup is a safe jump-in on someone's knockdown that will connect if the opponent does nothing and whiff/land and be able to block in time if they do a reversal. A prime example of this would be any of the multiple safe jump setups you should easily find on Youtube for USF4. This is just here so I don't get "durr, you used the term wrong!" replies in the thread.

With that out of the way, I bring you this:

First off, notation for those that are curious/want to replicate this in the lab for themselves. F3 xx EN Fang Spin, (wait until the opponent reaches the height of the bounce), B12U2, B2 (do this as soon as possible, you want the weird hit-behind-your-head effect), jump forward. If you don't understand why I did it twice in the video, I was lucky enough to get Lao to roll/not roll back-to-back with Random Rolling as the wakeup setting, along with wakeup Cyclone. I have 0 clue how the reversed backwards jump can be replicated, it's not necessary for this setup and is probably just a result of weird timing within the combo/jump. Backdashing leaves you wide open for a F3 punish or D4 xx Punch Walk/D4 -> F3 check, so don't do that. If you decide to do a wakeup throw for whatever reason, Goro lands in time to either neutral jump or duck the throw attempt. If you delayed wakeup, good, Goro likes that. Now you're right in front of him.

By the way, this can be done with Tigrar or even variationless.

obviously you aren't doing as much damage as possible as Goro with a bar, but sacrificing damage for positioning/potentially baiting out a reversal/maintaining offense sounds nice to me.

So what is the point of this? The basic idea is to do this setup, make them think they should wakeup, block the wakeup in time and punish it. Then, put them back in the situation and show them waking up is a bad idea, so you get the chance to jump in instead, letting you continue your offense and go into whatever you feel like from there. Of course, there is the risk of guessing wrong and eating a Cyclone into whatever amount Lao does from that starter/getting hit by any character's reversal into full combo, but that's what this is; a guess. You're presenting the opponent with two options, do it or don't.

Also, if you make this into your bnb for whatever reason, you can actually get 1% extra OR better corner carry (as Dragon Fangs only) if you do 121 xx Shokan Grab or Fang Spin... unless the optimal bnb everyone knows does more than 40% off EX Fang Spin starter, in which case disregard this last bit.

For the universal version of this setup, you are not going to get the weird hit-them-behind-you effect from B2 but will still safely jump into the opponent without getting sucked into a full combo.

If this was somehow already known, I apologize for wasting your time. If not, lab up the setup and see if there's anyway for you/your character to get out of this that wasn't already previously mentioned in the beginning of this post.

ps this doesn't work in the corner don't do it there just end in grab and bait the wakeup or crush it with button xx ex punchwalk/3d3 ok thank you for reading