What's new

Rune trap defense

It's not really a question about quan chi, its a question about playing against him.

Once he gets up close to you with a couple bars of meter, what do you do? Can you jump out before the unblockable hits you? Are there are characters that can poke quan out of his block string before the rune?

It's easier to post it in the quan chi thread than in the every other characters thread.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
It's guarenteed so you just have to take all the damage, best way to avoid getting in the trap is to constantly pressure him (he has a terrible wake-up game). If you have a breaker you can get hit by the string on purpose and use it to throw him away. Also try and land some meaty combos on him so he is forced to drain meter with a breaker.

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
there are some of the really fast armored moves that can escape the rune trap. The only one that's worked on me so far is Johnny Cage's EX Shadow Kick

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
let the punches hit you and break, other than that you just gotta take it

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
Other than breakers there's no way out. Online you can try jumping out though some people mess it up in the right lag and the 21 will hit you airborne and so will the rune if they follow up with it, this is only ever something you should do if the lag's really bad though and you feel like they might have a chance of dropping it. Easiest place to screw it up is doing 21 runeafter a skydrop.

Tbh I would just take it most of the time so long it won't end the game. It's generally not the best idea to use all 3 bars for the full rune trap considering how easy it is to get a blocked 21 rune and you can get better meterless follow ups after it rather than another 21 rune. If you've gotten to the 2nd round with no breaker though and you get caught in it and it kills you then chances are you've been outplayed anyway - like has been said you should be pressuring him and taking advnatgae of his crappy wakeup and making him use his breaker.

KingKuma

Noob
Are you guys sure only armor moves escape the Rune Trap?

I've had Kung Lao's spin out of 1, 1, Tele Drop, 2, 1, 2, EX Rune, dash, 2, 1, 2, EX rune. Is this even the best trap? XD

They spin before the second 2, 1, 2 can connect. This is online though, so yeah....

Are you guys sure only armor moves escape the Rune Trap?

I've had Kung Lao's spin out of 1, 1, Tele Drop, 2, 1, 2, EX Rune, dash, 2, 1, 2, EX rune. Is this even the best trap? XD

They spin before the second 2, 1, 2 can connect. This is online though, so yeah....
I think 6 frame attacks can escape anything if properly timed. Thats why I asked, to see if anyone had gotten spun, or shadow kicked, out of a rune trap.

6-frame-start-up attacks can only escape during a gap of 6 frames or larger, and those without armor only have a 50% chance of escaping when the gap is 6 frames because there are no trades in MK9. Quan Chi's rune trap catches the opponent while they're staggering; there is no gap at all. If the opponent escapes, you timed it wrong. As for (2,1,2 xx EX Rune)x3 mid-screen, everyone says to do (2,1 xx EX Rune)x2 > (2,1,2 xx EX Rune) if you want to use your whole meter on it, but after testing it out in training a bit, I think the (2,1,2 xx EX Rune)x3 actually does work mid-screen, but I wouldn't expect it to work consistently online if it does. Can someone besides me confirm that that version of the trap works? It really doesn't even seem very difficult to do offline.

everyone says to do (2,1 xx EX Rune)x2 > (2,1,2 xx EX Rune) if you want to use your whole meter on it, but after testing it out in training a bit, I think the (2,1,2 xx EX Rune)x3 actually does work mid-screen, but I wouldn't expect it to work consistently online if it does. Can someone besides me confirm that that version of the trap works? It really doesn't even seem very difficult to do offline.
I always do (2,1,2 xx EX Rune)x3 and my friends never get out of it. After the last rune i always do 2,1,2Rune to build some meter. I dont know if its safe, but my friend blocks mixups almost always correctly anyways, so i dont even try to mixup after EX Rune.

Sao87

@thedigitaldojo
There is no defense to it except take a couple hits and break before the loop gets dumped on you. That's why the rune trap is shitty by design.

Why would you ever breaker when you can guarantee a win after getting your opponent to less than half health?

In every other situation characters have to earn their damage by mixing you up. Aka they forced you to make a wrong guess. Quan Chi is rewarded by putting you in block stun, aka you've made correct defensive read and were punished for it.

If rune trap gets fixed, Quan Chi can still use Ex Skull for block advantage to loops block strings but it will be more in line with the rest of the cast.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
There is no defense to it except take a couple hits and break before the loop gets dumped on you. That's why the rune trap is shitty by design.

Why would you ever breaker when you can guarantee a win after getting your opponent to less than half health?

In every other situation characters have to earn their damage by mixing you up. Aka they forced you to make a wrong guess. Quan Chi is rewarded by putting you in block stun, aka you've made correct defensive read and were punished for it.

If rune trap gets fixed, Quan Chi can still use Ex Skull for block advantage to loops block strings but it will be more in line with the rest of the cast.
It's an odd choice design by NRS to give him those unblockable runes, yeah they can be effective but he'd be a tremendously better character if they gave him an armored trance instead (Scorpion's EX spear for instance). Once you get in on Quan, he's pretty much fucked for the most part, yeah there's EX sky drop which has armor but it's impractical and highly punishable on block.

I suppose EX trance with armor AND meter drain would be a bit much though. He needs something in terms of defense...

stamatis

Όσα δε φτάνει η αλεπού. ........
listen to him,just wait for the bars to end.......otherwise you can jump,with the chance quan chi see it,and trance you,so this will make things worst,the only way to avoid it is the breaker and the turn off button from the ps3/xbox!!!!!

oBryant

Noob
It's not a frame trap; there's no way out other than breaker.

I really dont care what any of these scrubs have to say. You can Enhance out of the rune trap\. as long as your move has armor. You can escape by reversing the 212xxRune. While the is hitting you with the 212 jsut do a move with armor, like Enh/teleport with lao, or Kabals Enh run.

Sage Leviathan

I'm platinum mad!
I never really feel bad about the Kool Aid master doing a Rune trap (its good to see ppl play as him at all!)
Ive never been able to beat them out of 212~EXRune unless i use the preferred method.

I really dont care what any of these scrubs have to say. You can Enhance out of the rune trap\. as long as your move has armor. You can escape by reversing the 212xxRune. While the is hitting you with the 212 jsut do a move with armor, like Enh/teleport with lao, or Kabals Enh run.
212 ex rune jails, it's not like raiden's 334 or SZ's 212, you can't escape between the 212 and the ex rune. You can't escape after being hit with the rune either. Facing a good QC player with this kind of strategy will cause you losing 60% instead of 30%.

It doesn't matter how "fast" an armor move is either (like JC's ex shadow kick). If it has armor, it will armor through the move (like Jade's 32 frame ex staff overhead).

Ex skull isn't advantage on block either and it hits mid.

Pagan

Noob
Pagan here to set the record straight :)

There is a 1 frame gap between the 2nd and 3rd hit of 212. The reason it still jails in a standing position is because changing from a standing to ducking position is not instant; it has a frame or two.

A one frame gap is unreliable though so I would suggest just using a combo breaker instead if you have it. Try not to be too predictable about it however because the Quan Chi player can simply 2~E Trance you in which case you are taking even more damage.