What's new

Rumor: NetherRealm Studios working on new MK and looking to develop new Killer Instinct game

A little something you guy may want to hear about:

Rumor: NetherRealm Studios looking to develop new Killer Instinct game

An anonymous source at NetherRealm Studios has said that the Mortal Kombat developer is looking to secure the rights to develop a new Killer Instinct game. As you can guess, getting the rights for a new Killer Instinct will be tricky as Nintendo and Rare, now owned by Microsoft, have rights to the game, but in these days, anything is possible when the right amount of money is on the table. The thought of a new Goldeneye game seemed unlikely as Activision held the James Bond license while Nintendo and Rare held the right to the Goldeneye 007 name, yet we have a new Goldeneye game. Same thing could be said for Marvel vs. Capcom 3 since Activision held the license for Marvel games, not Capcom, but again we have a new game game.

Word of a Killer Instinct 3 release came last year at X10 when Microsoft's General Manager for Live and Creative Director for Microsoft Game Studios, Ken Lobb, mentioned that Killer Instinct 3 was being worked on by Rare after the release of Killer Instinct 2. He stated that he would like to see the original come to Xbox Live Arcade to see if there was still interest in the series, but that has yet to happen.

The source also stated that a new Mortal Kombat is being worked on, but that shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone considering how well Mortal Kombat 9 did both financially and critically. What maybe a surprise to some, is that NetherRealm Studios is looking to do a yearly release of the Mortal Kombat series just like the other fighting game franchises. In particular, they’re looking to fix the myriad of problems that simply cannot be patched. An official announcement about the new Mortal Kombat will be in the next coming months.

PND_Mustard

"More stealthful than the night"
Premium Supporter
i hope this is true, a new, less problem filled mk would be fantastic, and a new KI game? yes please.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
ULLLLLLTTTTTTRRRRRRAAAAAA CCCCCOOOOOOMMMMMMMBBBBBBOOOOO!!!!!! yeah it would be sweet, and yearly mortal kombats? Sure I'm down.

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Mortal kombat x Killer Instinct.
I think I sell my other games, no need for them.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
[MENTION=1]STORMS[/MENTION] Yearly installments of MK games is exactly what Tom Brady and others were hoping would not happen.
I want a fighting game that's going to have a static lasting experience in tournaments, like SF2/MvC2/SSBM/SF3/GGAC have had.

I guess technically SF4 is in there as well, but it's a worse game every new iteration, and I don't want that to happen to MK9, which has finally thrown MK in there as the best new fighting game this generation.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
I think them working on the next MK already is a great idea. Ever since negative edge and the "input bug" were discovered people use that as a excuse. I say let them make the next mk game using the same engine and gameplay with those bugs removed and let that game grow for tournaments. People with this game have an excuse. If this is true I'll be excited, but no yearly MK's please. Let the next one blossom. oh yea and lets not forget about a better netcode. This game definitely needs it. Playing online is a joke where as games like SF can be taken more seriously online.

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
A yearly MK does not mean all of them will be tourney worthy. They're prolly including PSVita and that kinda stuff.
I say make ONE GOOD ASS game (like mk9 almost is, without the bugs) that leaves a legacy behind.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon were all built off the same game engine. This time NRS actually has a decent engine to build off of. Creating/modifying move sets, adding new characters, and tweaking the graphics/gameplay can very well be done in a year.

Altaire

Noob
Holy fucking yes.

I don't know if I want there to be a new MK every year, but I'd rather have a UMK9 than be stuck with the input bug any longer. I'm sure if the next release proves to be completely stable, they'll just sit on that for awhile.

[MENTION=1]STORMS[/MENTION] Yearly installments of MK games is exactly what Tom Brady and others were hoping would not happen.
I want a fighting game that's going to have a static lasting experience in tournaments, like SF2/MvC2/SSBM/SF3/GGAC have had.

I guess technically SF4 is in there as well, but it's a worse game every new iteration, and I don't want that to happen to MK9, which has finally thrown MK in there as the best new fighting game this generation.
What you don't understand is that NRS NEEDS to make another MK9 to fully master the engine and to fix the tons of bugs and errors within the game, if they go straight to MK10 it will be a bug fest. I'd rather NRS fix what is in this already amazing game than make a whole brand new one taking a huge risk factor.

Hopefully they will take there time on whatever has to do with killer instinct, upon release, it HAS to be near perfect.

I'll give them a pass on UMK9/MK10 this time around. There are some fundamental problems with the games engine that threaten the games longevity. If they can fix them with another release (preferably an update to MK9), then so be it. It's a necessary evil.

However, we're at a point in the gaming industry where successful franchise get put on annual release cycles. MK sould astoundingly well for a non-Capcom fighting game, making Warner-Brothers enough money to pay for the acquisition of Midway and a profit. The more sucsessful the game is, the more likely we are to see yearly yearly releases.

As for Killer Instinct; I could take it our leave it.

PimpUigi

Sex Kick
What you don't understand is that NRS NEEDS to make another MK9 to fully master the engine and to fix the tons of bugs and errors within the game, if they go straight to MK10 it will be a bug fest.
No, I understand that just fine.
I'm worried NRS doesn't understand that at all.

MK9 Gold or UMK9 or whatever is all we need, and we don't even need any new fighters.

No, I understand that just fine.
I'm worried NRS doesn't understand that at all.

MK9 Gold or UMK9 or whatever is all we need, and we don't even need any new fighters.
I agree with that, they should just stick with a solid revision of MK9.

But you also have to consider that the gaming industry is business, it's all about the money.

I'd be enlightened if they go ahead with the project of KI, either an installment or a cross-over, but all I ask is that they take there time.

SilverKeyMan

Dropping Combos like a MotherFucker!
I'm surprised at the number of people wanting UMK9. I'm not sure I'd pay $40-60 for a revised game I already own. I'd rather have MK10 with a new storyline and new characters. Both UMK9 and MK10 would be based on the same game engine, so revisions will occur nonetheless.

EndofGameBoss

That's about right.
Why build MK9 from scratch just to fix a few bugs? That's a lot of work for that and would probably be boring for NRS. I say go ahead and make MK 10 or UMK9 with a shit ton of new stuff.

Justice

Noob
Killer Instinct 3 would be so awesome! I'd be happy with a remade KI actually.

Going to a yearly schedule has pretty much killed every other game that is on a similar schedule from a gameplay standpoint. Obviously, if developers weren't making money this way they wouldn't do it but I think longer cycles are better. It gives developers more time to work out bugs, do the balancing, etc. before we get wind of how "broken" the game is. The development cycle for MK9 was 2 or 3 years and look how that turned out. You want to cut that time down by up to a third to make the game better? Not to mention that you are basically paying full new game price for an oversized patch.

I love my MK but will NOT support a yearly cycle.

if they went to make a KI3 rare has to not only get permission by warner bros who now owns the rights since they bought midway and permission from nintendo which if it happends means not only an xbox version but also a Wii U version as well. which isnt out of the realm of possibilities. Not to mention need an arcade stick to really get the feel of what KI was really about at the arcades. as for mk10 i think its a great idea but instead of alienating the pc and nintendo market which seriously hendered what sales could have been they should make mk10 for ps3,xbox360, pc, and the Wii U. they would see their sales double easily. especially if they brought the series back even farther with the gameplay to mirror the original 3 in the arcades. i for one would have to buy it if they did that.