What's new

Rip Paul Walker

PainForge

Kombatant
I'm not sure what you're implying, but all I'm saying is that both the words irony and coincidence CAN be used interchangeably, according to the logic and context it's presented in.

exyle

Dojo Trainee
Please enlighten me on the word.
It's the exact opposite of something expected. Like... looking for a Dodo bird for days, throwing away your camera because you're never going to see one, and then a Dodo bird walks by.

Watching a movie with Paul Walker in it, or him dying in a car crash aren't irony - coincidences, yes.

RIP.
^^Exactly.

iro·ny
noun \ˈī-rə-nē also ˈī(-ə)r-nē\
: the use of words that mean the opposite of what you really think especially in order to be funny
--------------------------------
you're welcome.

Haze

Mortal
it would be irony if he died at old age after living his life fast and furious the way it should be....RIP

Mr. Mileena

Warrior
He was a good actor who didn't show off or have that cocky, obnoxious attitude.
I really liked him and I feel for his family.

MisguidedAngel

Greetings, Mortal
I'm not sure what you're implying, but all I'm saying is that both the words irony and coincidence CAN be used interchangeably, according to the logic and context it's presented in.
I'm implying car accidents are a leading cause of non-natural death (it is THE leading cause in developed countries). If something that common is the polar opposite of what's expected, then obviously we're all so dumb that everything that happens is the opposite of what's expected.

TheJaquio

Kombatant
Paul Walker starring in a series of movies about dangerous driving and then dying in a flaming car accident = coincidental.

If Paul Walker instead starred in a series of afterschool specials about safe driving and then died in a flaming car accident, that would be ironic.

On topic, a seemingly good person dying tragically is always unfortunate.

He was such a low key but good actor, that's why this sucks.

Running Scared is probably one of the most entertaining movies I saw, and it was with him.

PainForge

Kombatant
I'm implying car accidents are a leading cause of non-natural death (it is THE leading cause in developed countries).
Well then I would agree with you, based on what you're presenting. But given the circumstance of him being in dangerous car racing movies, then this can be considered as coincidental and/or ironic. Actually, one could even argue that going only by the 'evidence' you've provided, that logically it would be even less correct to say this is a coincidence, since car crashes are a leading cause of non-natural deaths. But I'm not implying that. What I'm saying is that these word's can easily be used subjectively based on everything I've addressed.
If something that common is the polar opposite of what's expected, then obviously we're all so dumb that everything that happens is the opposite of what's expected.
Not everything, just what's logical. To clear up any confusion, I'll say this: A person can see life events as coincidental or ironic depending on the circumstance and connection of those events. But some things just don't have a coherent connection with one another. Example: A man that loves his dog and lives with him went on a plane trip, two days later he came back home to find that his dog was dead. This is where I would agree that this statement has no leverage in either coincidence or irony.