What's new

RIP Christopher Hitchens, dies at age 62

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Some info about him: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Hitchens

"The influential writer and cultural critic Christopher Hitchens died on Thursday at the age of 62 from complications of cancer of the esophagus. Hitchens confronted his disease in part by writing, bringing the same unsparing insight to his mortality that he had directed at so many other subjects"

http://www.npr.org/2011/12/16/143595854/writer-christopher-hitchens-dies

You will be missed! Loving that #GodIsNotGreat is trending on twitter. One last HitchSlap!

gdf

Kombatant
Despite the link, I'm not familiar with him.
But to see that someone has died who has influenced many people is always saddening.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Despite the link, I'm not familiar with him.
But to see that someone has died who has influenced many people is always saddening.
I can't believe he's actually gone. Its been so hard to see him wither away from such a horrible disease. He is hands down the most important person to fight for reason and atheism that has ever lived. I've cried a lot for him tonight. I will miss him until I too reach the end of my journey.

The Best of Hitchens

Sasuga

Dojo Trainee
I wasn't familiar with him. It's sad that I 'get to know' him because of his death. I might read his books sometime.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I wasn't familiar with him. It's sad that I 'get to know' him because of his death. I might read his books sometime.
2007's God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, is a life changing book. I've read it 3 times. And no one mastered the english language the way Hitchens did.

Flagg

Warrior
I imust have a dozen videos of Hitchens on my YouTube account.

Just found this out. Very sad, and what a loss to free and reasonable logical thought.

LuckyStrikeMike

Philosopher
He was the reason I started studying philosophy, and will be sorely missed.
His intellect was unmatched, his wit uncanny.
I'm depressed that he's gone, because he had so much more to say.

At least I'm sure he had lots of scotch before he left.

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
I just ordered god is not great literally about three days ago! I had no idea he was sick! This is terrible news.:(

Sasuga

Dojo Trainee
2007's God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything, is a life changing book. I've read it 3 times. And no one mastered the english language the way Hitchens did.
That was the one I had in mind. I might not agree with most of what he's saying but I'm sure it will be an interesting and enjoyable read.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Its a sad day.

Hitchens inspired me constantly, and his hard work will live on.
I imagine I'm probably the person most effected by Hitchens death here. Whether or not that's the case, I'll be pouring a glass of scotch tonight at midnight central time at my birthday party for Hitchens. I will ask my friends to join me, regardless of their views on religion. And if anyone else cares to join me, it'll just be a moment to think of him and how much he has meant to us. As a community, and on a personal level. So raise a glass with me if you like, to a truly great man. Today is a dark day. Cheers.

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
I'm sad I haven't caught up on him until now...what a fucking brilliant guy, good god.

I gave up arguing religion a long time ago, but just listening to him talk makes me feel smarter for having heard him.
Will definitely be soaking him up. R.I.P. :(.

Havatchu

Noob
Although I'm an athiest myself, I don't really applaud his methods. His arguments are good from the videos I've seen, it's just his attitude that bothers me, because it adds a larger divide between those that are religious and those that aren't. He came off as very condescending at times. That isn't to say he isn't any less worthy as you guys have said he is.

My grandfather also died from esphogeal cancer, so I can relate to this on that level, although I obviously didn't know this man.

To each his own as he was himself.