What's new

Tech "Reversing" Wakeups Midscreen With Forward Teleport

This isn't exactly new tech, but based on the changes people have been asking for on shazam's teleport I think it'd be good to simply raise awareness about how this works and why it's great as it is today.

After ending a combo with Achilles Clutch, d3, mb Atlas Torpedo + forward dash (or any other oki setup you may have that leaves shazam in a position to do his command grab trick) midscreen, you can opt to teleport forward.

Shazam's forward teleport has an interesting effect on the Injustice wakeup engine. When your opponent is inputting his special move, the wakeup window requires him to do so in your current direction. When the startup frames for the wakeup attack starts, shazam position is in flux and the attack starts in what shazam's position used to be. By the time the wakeup active frames start, shazam is exiting teleport recovery in his new location, and your opponent has successfully woken up in the wrong direction. From here you can perform the whiff punish of your choice.

When timed properly this essentially invalidates most wakeups that do not cause your opponent's character to move as well as a number of wakeups that do cause movement. In addition, you still have the ability to block if your opponent tries to punish you for teleporting.

Of course, if you're able to discourage your opponent from waking up that's when the fun begins.

As far as I'm aware, you can't backdash as a wakeup option. The motion you input after your character gets off the ground is the direction your character will move in.

Say Shazam has knocked you down and is teleporting from P1 side to P2 side. If you dash to the left after your character gets off the ground it will be a backdash. If you dash to the right it will be a forward dash.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
As far as I'm aware, you can't backdash as a wakeup option. The motion you input after your character gets off the ground is the direction your character will move in.

Say Shazam has knocked you down and is teleporting from P1 side to P2 side. If you dash to the left after your character gets off the ground it will be a backdash. If you dash to the right it will be a forward dash.
Good to know.

Uber

Noob
You just talking about corpse hopping during oki? Thats one of his staples. Its usually better to crossover j.2 if the opponent doesnt have good AA specials though.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

I don't have a capture card, but I can ask around.

The explanation is lenghty but the tech is simple. Set the AI to wakeup (green lantern's lanterns might for instance). Knock it down with d3. Wait a moment and then teleport forward. If you've done it correctly the wakeup should whiff.

Uber

Noob
Sounds like corpse hopping . Just teleporting over their body to bait wakeup attacks? Cuz thats corpse hopping.

Sounds like corpse hopping . Just teleporting over their body to bait wakeup attacks? Cuz thats corpse hopping.

Why do you insist on calling this a corpse hop? You can teleport to the other side of your opponent regardless of if they're on the ground or standing.

Uber

Noob
But they're only really corpse-like when they are lying on the ground. I dunno, i didnt make it up, people have been calling it that from the beginning. What would you call it?

When I say that it's not the same as a corpse hop, I mean it's not functionally the same. If you try to do a corpse hop by dashing over your opponent's body, it's possible for the AI to correct it's wakeup direction. The behavior for teleport is different and auto-correction is not possible.

Uber

Noob
The run over only works after AT. Teleporting over we still call corpse hopping. Its an key part of shazams oki game.

SaJa

FH_FenriR
I know how they could buff d2. Making it a hard knockdown.

Doing d2, forward teleport, dash forward allows to a ambigous and fast crossup (or fake one depends of the timing) for a new reset. Unfortunetly they can tech roll U_U