What's new

Tech - Hellfire Respect or Mash, Hellfire Scorpion option select 50/50 (Execution required)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
So guys, if Hellfire Scorpion lands a combo without doing FBCs as combo starters, when he lands the spear, from this point on, Scorpion can perform a Fbc combo so long using run cancels and combo links, that can throw off people timing in order to defend his mixup game
The input after the spear is, 21~fbc,~ ( around 3f link)~ 21~flame aura~(3f link)~21~fireball

At any link part, you can actually intentionally drop your combo and sneak up a mix with low, overhead or throw.

If your opponent knows you can miss these links, he might try to mash buttons with specials or other attacks to suddenly hit you with something, this is where your mind games comes in.

Since that part of the combo is so long, they have to block hoping you drop at any part so they can play.
Or they can mash so they can hit you when you drop it, but they can't do both.

Meaning, if the opponent is trying to mash he will have to release block, because the gaps are so thigh that it can leave the impression that you're actually comboing but your not, so you should be able to bait out attacks, or frame trap them with a faster attack that can't be beat out on reaction such as B3, F2.

Or you can end your combo with a fireball which gives your enough advantage to bait a reaction by faking a run, or just walk backwards to avoid, or counter other options on reaction.

Below there are 3 examples, the first one i present how thigh the frame trap from fireball reset can be, that it can throw timings off, B3 happens much faster than F2 that definitely will connect when scorpion is around -3

Example1:

Example 2:
Here i show the same combo, but now i choose to bait out the reaction instead of doing a followup after the fireball.
Remember that you can choose to drop your combo at the key point to mix them with another attack

Example 3:
I show it to you that 214~exFB is a true blockstring that is +8 on block or more, so in case of doubts you can end your blockstring with this which leaves plenty of room to block, evade or counter their next attack, or you can Back dash the fireball which would leave you around +1

Remember, 21 fbc~2, on block has a gap that can be beat out by 5f attacks and the first hit can also be ducked, but 214~fire ball is a blockstring, with meter is stupid safe.

How to option select

FBC trap on hit
When you're doing 21~fbc~ on hit, you can:
  • Delay your standing 2 and mix with a throw,
  • Delay your B3 for a low starter
  • F4 into Flame aura to catch players counter poking.
  • F4 into ex Spear which is safe on block, beware that if they're not blocking they might try to interrupt that.
  • cross up to catch them in an overhead on a different direction throwing off countering timing.
Flame Aura traps on hit
By not connecting any normal, you can:
  • Jump to counter by throwing off timing
  • Bait an attack by walking backwards (check your position in stage first)
  • Delay you link and hit a low starter
  • F4 into ex spear.
  • B3 into Fbc Backdash
  • B3~exSpear
  • Grab.
  • F4 into Flame aura,
  • F4~FBC back dash (check your position on stage first.)
Fireball frame trap
  • Fire ball is +11 on hit, it leaves in perfect position to:
  • B3 without running in, it can't be interrupted by non armored attacks
  • run 214 string, can't be interrupted by non armored attacks, but first hit can still be ducked
  • F4~ into flame aura or spear (huge window to interrupt, if they're not holding block)
  • Bait an attack by walking backwards
  • 214~fbc

For those who don't know, Flame Aura or Burner, has pretty thigh link to connect a standing 2, this makes hitting feel like a 1f link, but its actually a 3f links, the input leniency can be annoying, if the opponent might try to mash to hit you out of it, so is a good think to bait out mashers, such as SF tech from people that mashes supers ultras and DPs when they're being comboed with 1f links

@Slips
@MITDJT
@GrandMasterson
@JTB123

Here are a few examples:

Last edited:
I knew I was misunderstanding something. I thought you were talking about actually linking 21 into 214 in the other thread because you left out flame aura or fbc in one of the combos. Flame aura into 21 is not a 1 frame link because I can link f3 after flame aura. When I get home I'm gonna try this stuff out.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Mini vortex 2.0!!!!!!
I knew I was misunderstanding something. I thought you were talking about actually linking 21 into 214 in the other thread because you left out flame aura or fbc in one of the combos. Flame aura into 21 is not a 1 frame link because I can link f3 after flame aura. When I get home I'm gonna try this stuff out.
Correct, ppl have been trying to hit those and missing all the time.

So if F3 connects then is indeed +13 on hit, so F3 is a 1f link, standing 2 is a 3 frames link and standing 1 should be easier to connect, B3 also connects

Grape

Noob
The other layer of this is ending your combo in teleports after you hit the aura -> 21 link.Totally escapable but with conditioning they might not react fast enough if you mix up these options with the ones in the OP. B3 xx fbc and F4 xx aura/spear both reach and convert to combos from that range. Good showcase of tech, I've been working on this for the past 2 days too and just don't have a way to showcase it.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The other layer of this is ending your combo in teleports after you hit the aura -> 21 link.Totally escapable but with conditioning they might not react fast enough if you mix up these options with the ones in the OP. B3 xx fbc and F4 xx aura/spear both reach and convert to combos from that range. Good showcase of tech, I've been working on this for the past 2 days too and just don't have a way to showcase it.
You can extract your videos from the PS4 with an external drive. the PS4 will automatically create a new folder and dump the videos there.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
Good shit Eddy Wang.

Guys with practice these links and cancels aren't very hard. If you really want to practice your execution put on full stamina and go to town canceling over and over again to get it right on block and hit.

I'll try to post some matches of me and LI joe and spencer later if the replay bug doesn't screw it up.

I've been baiting counter pokes and using flame aura against them with a lot of success as well.

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
Absolutely.
I kinda got it down, though it's hard to do in an actual match and it's hell for me to do it on the player 2 side of the screen. I actually think it's relatively harder than focus ex canceling in sf4 because all you har to do is hit MP+MK, f, f. But with FBC, having to hold in 1 while you press f, f, block is awkward. I can't loop it yet either. It's so disorienting because of the input delay. How many times could you chain it in one combo?

Grape

Noob
I kinda got it down, though it's hard to do in an actual match and it's hell for me to do it on the player 2 side of the screen. I actually think it's relatively harder than focus ex canceling in sf4 because all you har to do is hit MP+MK, f, f. But with FBC, having to hold in 1 while you press f, f, block is awkward. I can't loop it yet either. It's so disorienting because of the input delay. How many times could you chain it in one combo?
You can only do 1 fbc per combo

PaletteSwap

Misanthropiate
You can only do 1 fbc per combo
Good... I was thinking it isn't worth the trouble to pick up hellfire if I had to learn to connect multiple FBC's in one combo to utilize the variations full potential. Now I just need to get the hang of connecting 2, 1 after flame aura.

As of now, I can only consistently link 1, 1 after it, and even then I'm just mashing away at 1 during the flame aura animation hoping it connects. Any tips on timing or animation cues to get down the 2, 1 after it?

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
You can only do ine FBC agh.
I thought Hellfire had something to it.
Back to practing The Spectre

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Remember, 21 fbc~2, on block has a gap that can be beat out by 5f attacks and the first hit can also be ducked, but 214~fire ball is a blockstring, with meter is stupid safe.
From my testing, it has no gap.. The komputer doesn't even reversal.

Question.

So whenever I end a combo with flame aura, I generally go straight into 214 fbc regardless of whether I hit them or not because of how tight the execution is after flame aura.

How effective is this in regards to what options my opponents are left with to escape my pressure after not connecting with 214 after flame aura because they block?

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Question.

So whenever I end a combo with flame aura, I generally go straight into 214 fbc regardless of whether I hit them or not because of how tight the execution is after flame aura.

How effective is this in regards to what options my opponents are left with to escape my pressure after not connecting with 214 after flame aura because they block?
block everything while you build meter.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
I have the worst time comboing in this form When i connect with the spear. No way back into vortex if hit with a raw spear

Triplswing

your soe will BERRN
Question.

They can MB through 214 if it doesn't jail.

At the end of your combo, try linking flame aura with standing 4 into teleport, then do 214 FBC. It's easy enough that you can count on it online, and it also does great damage.