What's new

Resident Evil 6 (Demo) Review / Guide

REO

Undead
I didn't have high expectations on the demo for Resident Evil 6 as the past two games released have been a personal let down. But to my surprise, Resident Evil 6 is a big upgrade from the previous two, system-wise. Since I made one of these for Resident Evil 5, I'm making one for Resident Evil 6.

I will go over controls first, which has been the biggest improvement, in my opinion.

**Note - PS3 controls**​
Key:​
* = held​
+ = simultaneously​
CS = crawl state​

Face Buttons:​
Square (1) - Reload / Pick up​
Triangle (2) - Item Slot​
X (3) - Solo Action​
Circle (4) - Partner Action​
Directional Pad: (d-pad)
Left / Right - Change Weapons
Down / Up - Change Grenades
Shoulder Buttons:​
L1 - Ready Weapon​
R1 - Physical Attack​
L2 - Display Route Guide​
R2 - Use Health Tablets​
Analog Sticks:
Left Analog - Move
Right Analog - Look Around
R3 - Switch Sides
L3* - Run
Other Actions:​
R1, R1 - Melee String​
L3*, R1 - Running Attack​
L3*, L1 - Slide (L1* to enter CS or L3* to continue running)​
L3*, L1*, Down - Slide into Evade Backwards (L1* to enter CS)​
L1*, Left Analog - Move while readying weapon​
L1*, Right Analog - Look Around while readying weapon​
L1*, R1 - Fire / Use Weapon​
L1*, Triangle - Dual Wield (Certain Weapons)​
L1*, X - Dodge (Neutral)​
L1*, X + Left - Dash Left (Knife) / Dive Left (Gun {L1* to enter CS})​
L1*, X + Right - Dash Right (Knife) / Dive Right (Gun {L1* to enter CS})​
L1*, X + Up - Dive Forward (L1* to enter CS)​
L1*, X + Down - Evade Backwards (L1* to enter CS)​
L1*, X +Up, Down - Double Dive (L1* to enter CS)​
R2*, Square - Refill Tablets​
L1 + R1 - Power Shot​
CS - L1* -Enter and maintain crawl state after a certain action for as long as button is held​
CS - L1*, Left - Roll Left (L1* to maintain CS)​
CS - L1*, Right - Roll Right (L1* to maintain CS)​
CS - L1*, Down -Scoot Backwards (L1* to maintain CS)​

As you can tell from the above, the controls are not as limited as previous Resident Evil titles. The controls make the characters feel more fluid and give you better control. Scroll down for some relatively new game play elements and features.

Some Game Elements and Features:

Corpses - Corpses cause the player to stumble when you move over them at a certain rate of speed. If you are running, you will stumble even further. Corpses disable your actions and make you vulnerable to enemy attacks during the stumbling state. Certain enemies can leave a corpse behind. To prevent stumbling from a corpse, move over them slowly or simply go around them.

Moving while Firing - This is not complete new feature as it was introduced in Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City, but it is still a relatively new mechanic they decided to keep and place into Resident Evil 6. You can move around while readying your weapon and attacking.

Crawl State -When you perform certain actions such as (diving, sliding, etc.), you can enter a state known as CS (crawl state). In this state, you are on the ground in a crawling position and can perform certain actions such as rolling or scooting back. You can also fire and attack while in this state. L1 must be held down to remain in this state. To get out of this state, just let go of L1 and your character will return to their normal position.

Physical Attacks - A separate command for an action known as physical attacks has been added to the core game play of Resident Evil 6. You can perform a physical attack by tapping R1. Each character has their own unique physical attacks. A melee string can be done by tapping R1 up to two or three times in a row, depending on the character or weapon equipped. The physical attack your character will perform will change depending on the action they are doing. For example, if you are facing backwards or running, your character will perform a different physical attack.

Fatigue Meter - A new fatigue meter has been added to Resident Evil 6 to lessen abuse from melee attacks. The fatigue meter has tie-ins with other actions which will affect things such as running. When your fatigue meter is depleted, you enter a crippled state where certain actions are disabled, also you move and perform certain attacks slower. Actions that use up the fatigue meter or stop recovery are listed below:

REO

Undead
Consumes Fatigue Meter:
Melee String - drains one bar
Power Shot - drains one bar
Physical Attack (Facing Backwards) - drains one bar
Running Attack - drains one bar
Slide - drains one bar
Action Attack - drains one bar

Hinders Fatigue Meter:
Moving - slows recovery
Attacking - slows recovery

Stops Fatigue Meter:
Running - stops recovery
Physical Attack - stops recovery
Movement Dodges - stops recovery

What I like about the game:

- No more insane invincibility frames from picking up items such as ammo or herbs.

The feature above has been removed from the game which was very easy to abuse in past Resident Evil titles to avoid attacks and make yourself nearly invincible. The dodge system sort of makes up for the loss, but it's not as brain-dead as the pick-up glitch was.

- The fatigue meter.

The fatigue meter was a great addition to the game that they kept because it eliminates relying on broken melee attacks. Melee attacks were very overpowered in past titles and it was ridiculous how they could be abused to no end. Physical attacks are still extremely good, but at least they cannot be abused infinitely anymore.

- The switch sides mechanic

This adds more of a realistic feel and gets rid of some of the awkward camera control past Resident Evil titles had. This is a good feature to aid you in big hordes and action scenes, also great in small corners and behind walls.

- Selecting weapons and grenades

This was very well-done. Very simplistic and straight to the point. No complications at all. Works smooth in and out of combat.

What I dislike about the game:

- Way too much ammo and healing items

This has been a problem ever since Resident Evil 4 and 5, and is still something I still strongly dislike. I hope they add a game mode that severely limits ammo and healing items in the final build.

- Enemies die too easily and are weak

This can also be easily addressed in the final game version by adding a realism mode or something.

- The display route guide feature

Was this really necessary? It makes the game so much easier since it easily tells you where to go at all times. It's impossible to ever get lost or stumble for longer than three seconds on not knowing what to do with this thing.

- Still more of an action adventure game and not survival horror

Overall the demo represents the game as a fun action adventure shooter with co-op play, and it is a big improvement from Resident Evil 5. I still do not like how they're still going for the action route. I would prefer if they return to the old survival game series that got me to love this series. But at least they have brought back zombies and the first campaign is dark with a RE-atmosphere in the city which is very nice. However, I absolutely did not like the other two campaigns that felt way too much like RE5 on steroids. I couldn't care less about those two other campaigns.

REO

Undead
Advanced Strategies:

- Reload Canceling

Every gun has a certain frame where after it passes the gun's ammo will be reloaded, leaving you with unnecessary reloading frames of animation afterwards. To find the frame where the game reloads the gun, look carefully at your ammo stock. Once it becomes full during reloading, that is the frame you want to cancel with another action such as a dodge or a physical attack. This is known as reload canceling, and it eliminates unnecessary recovery after the gun's ammo has been refilled. Every gun has different reload frames, some harder to abuse than others.

- Incendiary Grenades Cause No Friendly Fire

Incendiary grenades inflict no damage to yourself. This means you can chuck an incendiary grenade below your feet with no harm while killing enemies around you. This is a great way to escape situations when you are surrounded by enemies.

- Wall Hugging

To wall hug, go up to a wall and ready your weapon. If the wall can be hugged, your character will stand against the wall. You can hit X(3) to crouch. Enemies behind walls with guns are easier to deal with this way.

- Getting the best out of your Herb (Health Tablet)

As most of us know, herbs heal your health. But with the new fatigue meter introduced, herbs also affect that as well. When using an herb, make sure to abuse your fatigue meter and unleash stamina-extensive actions so you get the best out of your herb. A health tablet heals your fatigue meter completely and gets you out of the crippled state.

- Instant Kills

To perform an instant kill, get behind your enemy and perform an action attack. Some enemies cannot be instant killed. Some requirements may have to be present to instant kill an enemy, such as a weapon or specific angle / condition.

- Quick 180

By tapping down on the left analog stick and hitting X(3), your character will perform a quick 180 degree turn. This also causes the camera to turn around and face the opposite direction. Very useful for scouting around a room quicker and provides easier to access to check if anything is behind you.

- Two-In-One Dodge

You can perform another movement dodge after performing a neutral dodge. The best way to use this is let's say there are two enemies coming after you. One of them attacks, you dodge their attack with a neutral dodge, and then the other enemy goes for their attack. You cancel the neutral dodge with a movement dodge input which gives allows you another opportunity to evade an enemy attack.

- Can't Stop Me!

When running, you will automatically perform an action to maneuver over certain obstacles. This is a good tactic to know because it will maintain your running even after you go over the obstacle. There is no need to stop or hesitate with another action to deal with an obstacle that is in your way.

- Wall Teching

If you run into a wall or obstacle that cannot be climbed over, you can tech and cancel the bounce-animation by tapping another direction. Hold down X(3) to maintain running after teching an obstacle.

- Rest Up

The fastest way to restore your fatigue meter is be entering CS and avoiding movement during CS. This will regenerate your fatigue meter the fastest way possible without the use of health tablets.

LionHeart V1

You will feel deaths cold embrace
I love Resident Evil, and i'm really excited for this game. RE5 was a big disappointment to me.

I agree with you with the action route. Chris and Jake's campaign i did not like too much. Leon's section though i loved. It has more of the old RE feel to it. Its never going to be scary again because co-op just kind of ruins it but its fun playing with someone else, at least they are trying to get the atmosphere right.

Alot of people are complaining about the camera, but i got used to it and its not really that bad. Although when you aim i think the camera is way to close up on you, they should back it up a little bit. The inventory system when pressing Y is kind of weird i really didn't know how to work at first but i think i understand it now. LOL the cover system is kind of awkward, but its just another thing that people are going to need to get the hang of.

Overall I really enjoyed the demo. I knew I wasn't going to like chis or jakes campaign to much but then again its just the demo part of the game and not very long, so who knows i might end up liking their campaigns. I know i won't be disappointed with Leon's campaign.

RE2>RE4>RE1remake>RE3>RE5>RECVX

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
RE2>RE4>RE1remake>RE3>RE5>RECVX
Where would you put Resident Evil Zero?

Gonna try out the demo soon. I might be in the minority of people who enjoyed RE5
I liked Resident Evil 5 as well. I didn't like certain aspects of the story, but it got way too much flak for being "more of the same" when it did everything RE4 did but with a much improved coat of paint/co op experience. I didn't know Gears 2 or Halo 3 were such massive jumps in innovation from their predecessors to not get bitched about as much.

is the demo available for everyone?
Yes.

- Still more of an action adventure game and not survival horror
While this is one of the most forward complaints, and albeit reasonable, here me out. Someone made a very good point awhile back about this: The characters have been dealing with biohazard shit for over a decade, so would it stand to reason that they should be prepared for this kind of stuff by now? Again, I'm not thrilled that mom and pop zombies who run a bakery suddenly drop shotgun and assault rifle ammo, but I'm hoping its mitigated by the fact that you get 3 campaigns that hopefully aren't all action horror. Nice write up, btw.

Faded Dreams V

Retired June 2012. Unretired June 2013.
I really enjoyed Leon's Campaign. It was very reminiscent of Resident Evil: Revelations, only better. I did not like the other two campaigns though. They were, again, very reminiscent of Resident Evil: Revelations, but the side missions that I did not like at all. In Revelations, they were spread out in small chapters after completing a segment from the main story, but now they're full-fledged campaigns. Hurts that I may only enjoy 1/3 of the game.

On a side note, I discovered two hidden emblems you can shoot while I played, similar to the ones in RE5. Guessing there will be plenty of hidden unlockables.

However, I absolutely did not like the other two campaigns that felt way too much like RE5 on steroids. I couldn't care less about those two other campaigns.
Same.

- The display route guide feature

Was this really necessary? It makes the game so much easier since it easily tells you where to go at all times. It's impossible to ever get lost or stumble for longer than three seconds on not knowing what to do with this thing.
Wasn't necessary, but I see no harm in it, honestly. Since RE4, the series has been incredibly linear. Who wants to get lost--even for a split second--in a game that's not designed to throw you off with puzzles or backtracking? This game is clearly continuing the linear route.

- Enemies die too easily and are weak

This can also be easily addressed in the final game version by adding a realism mode or something.
There's usually a hard mode in RE games. But honestly, I only felt they died too easily in Leon's part--probably cause I actually enjoyed the pacing of that campaign. In every other, I wanted them to die quickly, but they were more obstinate; those dog-like mutants in Jake's part were fucking annoying.

I saved Leon's campaign for last hearing it is the most atmospheric of the three. So far I like what I've experienced. It took me a while to get used to the controls because I'm used to more run and gun shooters and this game clearly isn't meant to be played like that. It was a bit claustrophobic at first but I think RE wants you to experience that and once I got used to the mechanics it was smooth sailing from there. Near the end of Redfield's campaign I got the hang of the controls I was able to move around with ease and had a blast in Jake's campaign.

It's a neat idea to have seperate campaigns but I did not like the new HUD for each one. I prefer a more uniform look but the HUD isn't that big of a deal, once your in the campaign it remains like that until the end so I'll just deal with that. It's my only complaint.

Overall the game is very well polished and this is a relief. After the disaster that was Raccoon City I had my doubts about this one and especially since I did not really enjoy RE5. In the end, I've been hearing mostly positive reviews of the demo and my own is good as well.

Lastly, the idea that you can troll someone else's campaign and play as a Zombie is the most genius idea of the year.

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
Game feels too clunky to be an action game like its trying to be. I really like the way they went with Leon's campaign, but it just feels so jerky this time around :(

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
Where would you put Resident Evil Zero?

I liked Resident Evil 5 as well. I didn't like certain aspects of the story, but it got way too much flak for being "more of the same" when it did everything RE4 did but with a much improved coat of paint/co op experience. I didn't know Gears 2 or Halo 3 were such massive jumps in innovation from their predecessors to not get bitched about as much.

Yes.

While this is one of the most forward complaints, and albeit reasonable, here me out. Someone made a very good point awhile back about this: The characters have been dealing with biohazard shit for over a decade, so would it stand to reason that they should be prepared for this kind of stuff by now? Again, I'm not thrilled that mom and pop zombies who run a bakery suddenly drop shotgun and assault rifle ammo, but I'm hoping its mitigated by the fact that you get 3 campaigns that hopefully aren't all action horror. Nice write up, btw.
that was me that mentioned the fact that the characters would know how to deal with biohazard threats by this point :p

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Did you only play liek KLeon's campaign or something? 'Cause I bro-opped this with my buddy we are both RE fans (me since re3 and him since RE4) and we both hated it aside from Leon's campaign which was ok at best.

Gameplay-wise I see your POV and agree with it, however, it doesn't feel like a Resident Evil game.I want my survival Horror back.

Killphil

A prop on the stage of life.
that was me that mentioned the fact that the characters would know how to deal with biohazard threats by this point :p
I knew I read it on this forum somewhere and was like "wow, I never actually thought about that". I told a few friends, they agree that its a valid and hard to complain against point.

Axel_Redd

Vampire Jesus....he wants YOUR blood now!!
I knew I read it on this forum somewhere and was like "wow, I never actually thought about that". I told a few friends, they agree that its a valid and hard to complain against point.
back in the day, the characters didn't know what they were doing in these situations, it was all new to them and had em probably scared ,to death....now its just part of the job description :p

bipolar_shango

" Bros before Hoes"
You mean, Racist-dent Evil 5?

lol JK, the real racism here is that people complained about shooting blacks yet no one complained about shooting Spaniards in RE4.
Zer0 Hundr3d please... I'm a Black Nigerian, who lives in Nigeria. There was nothing racist about that game. I find it very patronizing when people say mundane stuff is racist when we don't even give a shit.

EDIT: Also been shooting NAZI's in Medal of honour since PS one.. No one complained.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Zer0 Hundr3d please... I'm a Black Nigerian, who lives in Nigeria. There was nothing racist about that game. I find it very patronizing when people say mundane stuff is racist when we don't even give a shit.

EDIT: Also been shooting NAZI's in Medal of honour since PS one.. No one complained.
I can admit that one of the Majini's looks like Jean-jaccques, an Angolan basketball player and the streets sounded similar to a place near of my grandma's house.
And i have to agree with you here, that doesn't sound racist by any mean, i actually enjoyed.

Now for RE 6, i agree with REO here, way too much ammo, and that route feature shouldn't be in, but still after testing the game i found it to be interesting in every aspect of gameplay, nothing to complain, besides of what's been said.

I dunno why a lot of dudes are not looking forward for this RE, sounds interesting, specially Leon's Campaign

REO

Undead
back in the day, the characters didn't know what they were doing in these situations, it was all new to them and had em probably scared ,to death....now its just part of the job description :p
How is having ammo, weapons, and health scattered on every corner have anything to do with the survivors specifically being more prepared for these situations? Now I can understand them learning how to throw punches and leap out windows, but the enemies being utter jokes of what they used to be has no logical explanation.

MagicMan357

"130 ms is more legit than Labbing" - TYM
I really liked the demo. People must remember this as a really old build.

I hope they fixed:
The shitty AI when they have guns, but when the have melee weapons they become really engaging
The camera is really retarded