What's new

Resident Evil 3 Remake

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Resident Evil 3 Remake was officially released today. I am a huge survival horror and Resident Evil fan who has played almost all of the games in the series. Unlike the remakes for Resident Evil 1 and 2, I have read some mixed reviews on Resident Evil 3 Remake. I am about more than an hour into the game and I am enjoying the experience thus far, but I will reserve my final judgement once I beat the game.

I see lots of people playing this game on my friends list. Please share your thoughts about the game now and after the first play-through. I am really curious what people have to say, especially those people who played the original Resident Evil games on the Play Station 1.

BlissfulMedusa

Modern Woefare
I’ve heard that people are beating it in 3 hours or so on their first play through. Honestly, if that’s the case the game is a total scam. Should’ve been added on to RE2 as DLC.

I’m hoping these are just a few cases of people running as quick as they can, but even still, it’s concerning for a $60 title.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Hey Dave, I'm a huge fan of the original series. I remember having my wall plastered with nemesis articles before RE3 came out. I replayed RE3 last year too. What a game.
I was pretty excited for the RE3 after MOSTLY enjoying the RE2 despite some glaring flaws. However the reviews of RE3 remake, and it being an outsourced job not even made by the same team, has led me to put off buying it until it's on sale. I'm just not hyped for it anymore.

Resident Evil 3 Remake was officially released today. I am a huge survival horror and Resident Evil fan who has played almost all of the games in the series. Unlike the remakes for Resident Evil 1 and 2, I have read some mixed reviews on Resident Evil 3 Remake. I am about more than an hour into the game and I am enjoying the experience thus far, but I will reserve my final judgement once I beat the game.

I see lots of people playing this game on my friends list. Please share your thoughts about the game now and after the first play-through. I am really curious what people have to say, especially those people who played the original Resident Evil games on the Play Station 1.
I’m on right now Dave. I’m a huge fan of the originals as well. Still have my OG ps1 Director’s Cut of RE1.

Ac3s777

Noob
the game is fun as hell, also re2 has a short clear time as well. I mean you take it slow as you want, I for one knew this remake wasnt going to be a long game but its quality over quantity

LionHeart V1

You will feel deaths cold embrace
Fun game. Super short. Beat it within 5 hours. 6 with cutscenes. RE2remake took me if I remember correctly 9 hours on my first run. Don't understand why Capcom decided to cut a lot of content rather than expand. I found Nemesis to be the most disappointing part of the game TBH. He doesn't even follow you around except for in 1 area which was in the demo. The rest of his encounters were scripted events which led to a boss fight.

I think the game was a little rushed. I don't think nearly as much love and care went into making compared to RE2remake. I'd give it maybe 7.5/10. Again I liked it but RE2remake set the bar so high RE3remake had a lot to live up too. It falls just a tad short.

I don't give a damn about resistance. Capcom shouldn't waste their time on a mode that people will play for maybe a couple of weeks before its completely dead.

I've only played an hour or so, but I'm really enjoying it so far. Obviously can't speak to the length of the game yet. All the mixed reviews have set my expectation bar low, so I think I'm setting myself up to be pleasantly surprised.

The only criticism I have so far is that the action focus has made the game a little less tense and atmospheric. I'm not sure what Capcom's obsession is with trying to make Resident Evil action packed, but it's just not really the series' strong suit. I was terrified from the first moment I played RE2 until pretty much the end, and I just haven't really had the same feeling of terror so far. To be clear, I'm not saying I dislike what I've played or that it isn't good, it's just a different feel from RE2 in a way I'm not sure is quite the perfect home run that RE2 was.

I've played pretty much every RE game. I played OG Resident Evil back when PS games game in the big tall cases. I don't think it's really fair to compare this to the original. The originals were cool at the time because there was nothing else like them, but I'm never tempted to go back and play them. The controls alone made them a chore to play.

IM a RE fan too. I always wanted a RE2 remake and my dream came true last year with a bliss of a game (not perfect).

But RE3, which is my socond favorite, deserved a better treatment, and only by the fact that they cut clock tower and a lot of the original, weird changes, and again....the focus on action that put the series in trouble....I mean, I really would rather not seeing a crap like this instead of playing something unfinished.

They realized how RE2 was succesful so they tried to put a lazy RE3 thinking that people would buy it even with the game not completed.

Disappointing mess.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
I'm on my 3rd run right now in Nightmare mode and it's still fun, just doesn't hit the same as re2 remake. But then again I liked re6 so...

I'm not a fan of the multiplayer, but I can see why people will like it.

I'm on my 3rd run right now in Nightmare mode and it's still fun, just doesn't hit the same as re2 remake. But then again I liked re6 so...

I'm not a fan of the multiplayer, but I can see why people will like it.
RE2R is better, but I like Jill more than Leon. I played about 20 mins last night. I was too drunk to keep going lmao.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
Can you redo the records and that's how you farm points?

Or is it one and done? It doesn't seem like there's enough challenges to buy everything in the shop.

*Yes, it's one and done and yes there are enough points

Last edited:

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
I just beat inferno w S rank and HOLY FUCK! I only finished with a little over a minute left. My heart was beating so fast. I got to the final boss with 50 minutes left and no deaths. Then ended with 33 deaths.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I don't give a damn about resistance. Capcom shouldn't waste their time on a mode that people will play for maybe a couple of weeks before its completely dead.
I agree with you, but I am rather biased because I play fighting games for multiplayer and games like Resident Evil for single player. So I think Resistance should have been an add-on with the main focus being on the story mode.

Can you redo the records and that's how you farm points?

Or is it one and done? It doesn't seem like there's enough challenges to buy everything in the shop.

*Yes, it's one and done and yes there are enough points
When do you get to purchase items? As soon as you beat the game? How do you accumulate points?

E

Eldriken

Since when have Resident Evil games ever been known for longevity/length? The first or second time through, sure. But that's because you have to figure out puzzles, paths, item locations, etc.

After that? Naw, man. These games can be beaten within 1-3 hours. Nothing new here, folks.

But as far as the Remake goes altogether, it falls kinda short of its source material. Only in some aspects, mainly. Some locations are missing, enemies, etc.

Make them any longer and then "padding" gets talked about and people aren't happy about that either. It's a lose/lose.

Hebrew Negro

KingofBosz97 XBL
When do you get to purchase items? As soon as you beat the game? How do you accumulate points?
The shop opens up after you beat the game for the first time. You earn points by completing records in the bonus menu. There are ways to farm points. I have a little under 18 hrs total play time and I've pretty much unlocked everything.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Since when have Resident Evil games ever been known for longevity/length? The first or second time through, sure. But that's because you have to figure out puzzles, paths, item locations, etc.
I agree. I am currently playing on the "Hardcore" difficulty so I am neither familiar with the "Assisted" nor the "Standard" difficulty. I think the main issue, at least on the initially available difficulty modes, is that the game is too easy because of auto-saves and unlimited typewriter saves. Resident Evil is not meant to be played in this manner. No survival horror game is. When you program a survival horror game to be easy to beat, you automatically remove the survival aspect of the game.

As I said, I am playing the game on hardcore and without any auto-saves. I simply ignore every auto-save and I load my game to the most recent typewriter save when I die. While the game is certainly no traditional Resident Evil game, I feel like I am enjoying a traditional Resident Evil experience than I otherwise would be.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
So I beat the game on hardcore a couple of days ago. I would say that Resident Evil 3 Remake plays more like Resident Evil Revelations 1 and 2, which contain a mixture of action and survival horror gameplay, than the two Remake predecessors. I enjoyed playing the game but would offer the following criticism.

- the game feels too short for a full price. More gameplay with Carlos, or even a section with Tyrell and Nikolai, could add two or three more hours of gameplay.

- the auto-save feature only ought to exist in the "assisted" difficulty. You should otherwise need ribbons to save your game. Fear and tension diminish substantially when a survival horror game is too easy to beat.

- the game needs less focus on action and more on survival, exploration, and item management. If I wanted to play an FPS, I would.