What's new

[Request] - Why do no uTubers tutorial for beginners?

Jynks

some heroes are born, some made, some wondrous
Hi there....

I was wondering why no uTibers are making videos for beginners. There are tons of "day 1 combos" and now things like "31% no Meter" strings that make my brain hurt. Still no one seams to take the time to explain what they are doing.

I know most of the people that can make decent MK vids are way higher level and are asking vids for other high levels, but it would be awesome if someone made some simpler combo vids for beginners to cut their teeth on.

Here is a great example of a combo video. This one is way better than most as it is not a demo, but he infact explains what he is doing. Still it is very complex for a beginner.

What would be sweet would be just something simple, like the game has a bunch of 3 button combos in the move list. So why not start there, with a video showing how to link something from there or w/e. Not into a 9(% damage 25 hit combo, but just something simple.

I used to love MK vs DCU. I know that game gets a lot of hate, but I enjoyed it and one of the reasons why was that the tutorial mode actually had longer combos in it, so every character I could learn 2 or 3 decent bread and butter combos.

When I look at youtube for bread and butter "simple" combos it usually is presented like this.

This is all well and good, but I have exactly ZERO idea how to replicate it. All this video is really is a kind of showing off. I mean I am sure some people can understand it, but many noobs can't.

Anyway, I was hoping one of the many legeneds around here, might be interested in taking up the challenge of making vidoes for noobs in addition or instead of the complex ones. Fighting games are getting more and more popular it seams, and there is a real need for noob lessons I think.

Anyway, thanks for your time in reading this.

--Jynks

kivatt

Kono Dio Da
Well if you go to different streams, like Tom Brady & Reo's, CDJR's, PL's, and Pig's Armory video, they actually teach newer people how to play the game, and generally the basics of what you should know.

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
I'm working on doing a couple of videos actually, and they are going to be specifically geared towards this game.

Jynks

Thank you for your replies. Some of those linked vids are really helpful. I particularly liked the "breakdowns".

I know for most of you this is all so basic, but some of us are still having trouble getting past 3 hit combos! (as in anything not in the move list)

My channel, request anything you want and i'll try to help out.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz-L02Ip9yWT4BFIsVAuI0A
If you have the time and feel like it, I would LOVE a video like the 1st one I posted but for far more simple combos.

I love how in this video how he breaks it down into parts and talks about execution for noobs. Unfortunately it is a complex one.

I've subbed to your chan in case you do.

Last edited:

MadPropz101

"I still got it...but not much of it"
Thank you for your replies. Some of those linked vids are really helpful. I particularly liked the "breakdowns".

I know for most of you this is all so basic, but some of us are still having trouble getting past 3 hit combos! (as in anything not in the move list)

If you have the time and feel like it, I would LOVE a video like the 1st one I posted (
) but for more simple combos. I love in this video how he breaks it down into parts and talks about execution for noobs. Fortunately it is a complex one.

I've subbed to your chan in case you do.
You want a video like that for Raiden?

Jynks

Thank you so much for offering. I personally amd trying to learn Cassie and D'vorah at the moment, but thinking of dropping Cassie as I just can not get the run thing happening between. I literally haven't got it to work once! I just thought that I would like to try the new toons.

So, personally I am not that interested in Radian. Though it is very kind of you to offer. I'd still watch if the vid existed though.

Still I think there is a community need for these type of videos, not just for me personally. Fighting games are in some ways more popualr now than they have ever been and while the vetrens are just getting better and better there are so many noobs like me and all we have are "48% No meter Combo" vids that are so beyond us, and also are just demos with no information.

I suspect that the first chan to seriously take on tutorial vids for noobs will become VERY popular.

zoofs

bless
I'm going to tell you right now, do not watch juandingohd if you want to get better. No offense to him, but in the occasional video he used to do for injustice where he would actually play and not do a tutorial, would be him spewing a lot of random misinformation about the game. His combo tutorials may seem okay, but they are usually thrown together pretty sporadically and nowhere near the optimal bnb. If you want to learn a character, I would suggest just going to the character forums here and reading the guide if there is one, or just the general discussion/combo threads. The only youtuber I have seen personally that was pretty knowledgeable was http://www.youtube.com/supermansajam like someone stated before, who is also a member on tym I believe.

Jynks

The only youtuber I have seen personally that was pretty knowledgeable was http://www.youtube.com/supermansajam like someone stated before, who is also a member on tym I believe.
Yeah, I love his breakdowns. Those vids are what brought me to this post. I basically would like his breakdowns / combo vids but for noobs. Focusing on BnB. The way he breaks the combo (looking at his complex combo vids) into sections and talks though execution for each "part" is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

I just assumed he would be more interested in high level stuff, in fact I kinda assume that for everyone.. so thought I would make a post here.

WEll add me on Xbox!
I only have the PC version and the PS4. :(

I know for most of you this is all so basic, but some of us are still having trouble getting past 3 hit combos!
Wall of text incoming, but I hope it helps!

There is no such thing as "3 button combos". In Mortal Kombat such "combos" are called strings. They usually end with something like a knockdown, where the opponents gets stomped to the ground, or at the very least gets pushed far away.

The combos start, when you cancel those strings into special moves. Many strings require 2-3 button presses and most of the time it will be 3 button presses. Now you could pick any character and try doing a 3 button press string and cancel a special attack into it. Chances are high that it won't work, but at the same time it's not supposed to work. Sometimes it does though. What you will have to do is to do the first 2 button presses of the string and then cancel that into a special move to extend your combo.

Here is the example from above visualizied... Let's say a string wants you to do [1, 1, 1]... meaning, that they want you to press [X, X, X]... You see your character punching the opponent 3 times and the opponent lands on the ground and has to stand back up.
Now you want to extend that combo to get more damage and you try doing something like [1, 1, 1, Down Forward 1]... But it doesn't work out. The opponent still lands on the ground after the third hit. That's where you have to cancel the the special move on the second hit of the string, so you would do [1, 1, Down Forward 1] and you would see your character punching the opponent two times and then performing a special move on the opponent, which might allow you to combo the opponent even further with yet another string, so the combo might end up looking like this [1, 1, Down Forward 1, 1, 1, 2].

Now you might be thinking that such a combo is aready too complex for your taste and that you would rather be doing the [1, 1, 1] combo and there is nothing wrong with that, if you're a beginner. These strings are specifically designed for beginners, so that they can do cool looking combos with little to no effort.
But if you want to get better at the game and do more damaging combos, you'll have to do the harder combos, which you now might find complicated...

... and there is a good reason for that: Your brain prevents you from doing such combos.

The human brain is not really made for multi-tasking. There are studies, which state that the human brain is limited to 3 to 4 things at once. So once you try doing a longer combo at the beginning, you mess it up entirely, simply because it's too long and wants you to do too much at once.
Here is another example... Let's look at telephone numbers... When you take a look at them, you usually don't see a long string of numbers like 9995551234... No, you usually see them separated like this (999) 555-1234, which allows you to remember those numbers more easily.

The same applies for combos, but more in a way how you execute them... When you try to do a longer combo, you don't do it by trying to get it all in one attempt like in [1, 1, Down Forward 1, 1, 1, 2]... No, you break the combo into pieces and you practice it in pieces...
So you would start practicing the combo by doing [1, 1] over and over again... Learning combos is all about getting them down into your muscle memory, so that you can execute them without even thinking about it. Your body does the combo in the end, not your brain. So you're doing [1, 1] over and over again, until you get it into your system and once you do, you add one more piece of the combo and practice it again [1, 1, Down Forward 1]... Once you have that down, you add one more piece [1, 1, Down Forward 1, 1, 1] and once you've mastered that, you add the final piece [1, 1, Down Forward 1, 1, 1, 2].

Naturally there are always characters, that have easier combos than others. Where you could simply mash a strings and specials with one character, you have to add juggle timing, run canceling and shit like that with another character. In MKX Scorpion, Sub-Zero and Kung Jin are considered having simpler combos. As a beginner you should stay away from technical characters.

And as a total beginner combos shouldn't even be your first priority. Even if you have a combo down, applying it is yet another story. Doing combos on dummies, that don't move is easy-peasy, but getting those first hits on moving opponents is yet another story. Try doing it against a computer on easy and you'll see that it's already hard, so what you have to practice first, are general movement and your normals. You need to know the distance of your [1, 1] and how fast it comes out. You need to know how safe you are on those strings / specials and if the opponent can punish you hard for it; basically everything that goes on except for the few seconds where you're executing the combo. So don't necessarily think about doing combos, but rather check out the threads of characters you're interested in an try looking for opinions on which strings are safe to use and which benefit you the most.

At the early stages doing to most damaging combo isn't even that important. The damage downscales a lot in NRS games. You might get to 31% damage with an execution heavy combo, which you had to practice for quite a long time and at the same time you could get 20% for something, that requires half the amount of work. Sure, you get less damage, but you'll be able to land that combo more frequently and as you get better, you can experiment more and more and try some execution heavy combos.

Jynks

Thanks for all your help guys. Nice to have a non-toxic forum!

Wall of text incoming
Thanks, there is some great advise in there. I am trying to split up the combos and I totally get about the difference between the dummy and combat, though I can only make a few on the dummy.

Another trick I have started is playing on very hard, but basically doing it as "blocking practice" in the 1v1 single match mode. One thing in vs I was having trouble with was getting knocked down and just never being able to been stand back up. Still with blocking, and "wake up attacks" I am better at this.

The thing is combos are fun, winning matches is low on my list of priorities at the moment. My current goal is to try and get some "bnb" combos on the toons I am using.

I have recently been practicing this combo from the D'Vorah thread.

F44>F34>B12 jc airgrabb (32%- no meter all variations)

I'm not sure what "jc" means... but I split it into sections... F44>F34 is what I am practicing at the moment. I have started to land it more often, turns out that you do not just enter it as a "string" there is in fact timing you need to do as well, so once I started "watching" the screen closer I started to pull it off more often, but I still miss it like more than 60% of the time. Then I also practice F34>B12,1+2 as a separate thing. The idea is once I am used to it I can stick them together.

I think that is the way to go right?

ULTRACHEN has system basics and newbie stuff
I'll check it out, thanks for the tip

@Sajam is one of the best imo. Also I think NRS is doing tutorials to teach people.
Sajam has been mentioned a few times and I linked a vid of his in the OP. The thing is his Breakdowns are very good, but as far as I can tell all he has done after that is very complex combos. I basically hope that someone will do exactly what he did with that cassie video I liked but for much more noob friendly combos.

I have the NRS chan subed and they are currently doing breakdown vids, but Sajam's are way better I think.

sars

Noob
Thanks for all your help guys. Nice to have a non-toxic forum!

Thanks, there is some great advise in there. I am trying to split up the combos and I totally get about the difference between the dummy and combat, though I can only make a few on the dummy.

Another trick I have started is playing on very hard, but basically doing it as "blocking practice" in the 1v1 single match mode. One thing in vs I was having trouble with was getting knocked down and just never being able to been stand back up. Still with blocking, and "wake up attacks" I am better at this.

The thing is combos are fun, winning matches is low on my list of priorities at the moment. My current goal is to try and get some "bnb" combos on the toons I am using.

I have recently been practicing this combo from the D'Vorah thread.

F44>F34>B12 jc airgrabb (32%- no meter all variations)

I'm not sure what "jc" means... but I split it into sections... F44>F34 is what I am practicing at the moment. I have started to land it more often, turns out that you do not just enter it as a "string" there is in fact timing you need to do as well, so once I started "watching" the screen closer I started to pull it off more often, but I still miss it like more than 60% of the time. Then I also practice F34>B12,1+2 as a separate thing. The idea is once I am used to it I can stick them together.

I think that is the way to go right?

I'll check it out, thanks for the tip

Sajam has been mentioned a few times and I linked a vid of his in the OP. The thing is his Breakdowns are very good, but as far as I can tell all he has done after that is very complex combos. I basically hope that someone will do exactly what he did with that cassie video I liked but for much more noob friendly combos.

I have the NRS chan subed and they are currently doing breakdown vids, but Sajam's are way better I think.
I am just like you, this simply my first fighting game. I only play Cassie brawler because I don't want to much going on at once. I mainly uses b12-db2-run-33-bf4. This is the first combo I learned and it took me like 2 hours to get it down. I practiced it in sections. First I would do b12-db2-run. I didn't that for a while and then I did 33-bf4. It's only 23 to 25 percent but I'm happy with it for now. When I got good at that I did 242 at the beginning of it. That's 29-31 percent. Then I put the game on hard and tried to find openings to use these. Then I jumped online. At first I was hitting 1 out of 20. Now I'm hitting like 5 out of 20. You mix these with some of her other moves and your onto something. That's what helped me and I am 100 times better then when I first started. I didn't care about my record online and I just focused on practicing my combos. Just don't get frustrated and the first time you hit it playing someone you will feel like the man lol.

Reauxbot

You think you bad? You aint bad.
Wall of text incoming, but I hope it helps!

combos.
Why dont you make a video?
The one special thing that i love about TYM is that this community is so informative and in touch with each other.
I personally dont have the luxury as a lab monster. Im in the military. So i only get some times to play and get work in.
As i said in a Cassie forum this place is almost so good to the point in the threads just to read opinions and see what people are trying.
Some people understand not all of us have the time understanding.

And thanks for the text. I usually read and watch anything that gets me some insight.

Dude I feel your pain, im in the same boat as you. I google and youtube and like you I see videos that dont explain anything but are more like whap whap whap 31% dmg end of video lol. It would be nice to see some bread and butter lower tier combos that the video tells you ok go work on that and stay tuned for my video that will be one step up from that and show ya how to link what you've perfected from last video into new video.

Ive tried to look up tom brady's stream but it always says offline. Ive tried to google what pros do paid lessons and havent had any luck either.

Ive already learned more reading this thread than ive done googling and youtubing...Ive only been playing a week and I think I tried to advance too quickly. I had a couple good days where I won like 6 games in a row and seemed to be picking it up and then all of a sudden I started worrying about combos and I cant buy a win lol..now I know how ppl feel when I explain workouts to them and they look at me funny and im like whats so hard about it? But ive been doing it for 15 years..now im the newb but with this lol. I am interested in learning Kung Jin if anybody wants to help or make some simple videos. I like his bojutsu style.

I think there has been good information as far as combos, character guides and what not. However, the lack of anti-character guides, beginner guides (like learning to chunk combos), neutral game/footsie game tutorials, and anti-air tutorials to me has been astounding.