What's new

Request to NRS for slight adjustments to the replay system.

Vagrant

Noob
I'm very happy with the fact that we have replay in NRS games and I especially love the displayable frame data.

Would it be possible for us to pick game speed without having to activate the previous speeds first? As it stands, to get to the slower speeds you have to go through 2x and 4x game speed which zips you across part of the match. This may not seem like much but since we don't have the ability to rewind the replay at all, if you miss what you're looking for in the replay, you have to restart and go through the whole match to find the spot you wanted to see again. This can be very frustrating. Especially for players who just got bopped by someone online and are trying to learn where they made mistakes.

I'm not sure why there's no rewind feature in replay, but if we can't have rewind could we please toggle the speed we want and then have a separate button to activate that speed or something? Obviously rewind would be ideal.

Like I said, I love the replay system and I know very little about how difficult it is to implement different features within that replay system, but this is a quality of life adjustment that I think the competitive scene would benefit from and apreciate.

@16 Bit (Sorry you're the only person I know that still visits TYM. lol.)

Yeah I wish you could rewind. I know that would make replay files so much bigger because if it works anything like it does in stuff like Warcraft 3, the replay is not an actual recording, but just a list of inputs and timestamps that are "replayed" in a freshly opened game.
This way you can keep the file size incredibly small and still have the full match recording at your hand.

But yeah it would be cool if you could toggle to the desired speed without having to go through the other speeds.

Vslayer

Juiced Moose On The Loose
Lead Moderator
A rewind feature would be amazing, and maybe a free camera angle like in DOA6 so we can get some awesome screenshots. XD

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Let's talk UI for a second. NRS makes great looking UI's but sometimes they just miss basic functionality. I have this long list of 30 or so games saved in my match replays including the recent games, when I favorite one, it gets brought to the top along with my cursor. So if I want to favorite the last three games I've played, I have to scroll alllll the way back down one game at a time, there's no option to skip to the bottom page like even evil ass Comcast has. Like it doesn't even auto scroll if you hold down. Alternatively, the cursor could just not go straight to the top with the favorited game. A minor annoyance, but it's just common sense UI design and I feel like there's a lot of shit like this. Like there was variation tabs and loadout info in the loading screen in the past two games, but you guys didn't get that done for release for this game? It was patched in, but that's a pretty big UI issue to not have those in the first place. Then stuff like KL where I can see my points but not my win record or rank for that season? What's the point of just seeing points? I digress.

It's an issue in other fighters so I suspect it's an unavoidable issue(it's not like we're watching actual video replays here, just inputs) but It would be awesome if NRS would be more transparent about when patches are so that we don't just lose all of our in game match replays, and have some time to do some on console recording.

I also had a lot of issues in the past with replays failing with "end of input recording" and sounds repeating themselves(like the sound Brainiac's drones made) through out the replay though I've had no issue with the latter in MK11.

Last edited:

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
Replay feature needs a toggle to hide the replay functions that's if i wanted to record the whole match. Updates stop some replays from being played which makes them useless to save as of right now.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Replay feature needs a toggle to hide the replay functions that's if i wanted to record the whole match.
Yeah you should be able to hide the replay options at the beginning, and further more, how cool would it be for the match replay to allow us to hide the whole UI? Like it might be possible to get that if you play with the settings but that should be available during the replay IMO.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I'm pretty sure the reason we can't rewind is because you're not watching an actual video replay - the game saves data that and uses that to recreate the match with game engine later and the game doesn't know how to read that data backwards. The upside of doing it this way is that it requires way less memory and processing which is probably a better trade off than being able to rewind a 2 minute match

I would think they could fix the play speed buttons though. That should just be a relatively simple UI fix

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
rewind and frame by frame play would be totally awesome.

They also somehow got a fighting data analysis algorithm going, maybe we will see an evolution of that in the future.