What's new

Reptile's Normals

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I've been putting a lot of thought into Reptile's footsies. I've come to the realization that Reptile's normals have some of the most amazing properties out there, and the only downside is that they aren't really any faster than 11f standing, 8f crouching. But the speeds are still very serviceable. But look at this shit:

1 - Solid vertical hitbox. String sets are airtight and 50/50s.

2 - RIDICULOUS horizontal hitbox...AAs from ranges a lot of jabs don't even reach, and beats out a number of things. Did I mention it has a ton of pushback and is 0? 2f3 has so much damn pushback it's unreal...it's better on block for spacing than anything not max range d4 xx acid hand, and is safe as fuck and nets an amazing splat knockdown. Also airtight.

3 - Hits mid on EVERY character, has evasive hurtbox, AAs, leads to solid damage, 0 on block throughout entire 321 string. Yet again it's airtight. :confused:

f3 - This normal is amazing. Why have we not been using it??? Leads to wakeup game on hit, hops over lows, -3 with pushback, great range, great hitbox, oh my word.

f2 - Is basically Smoke's b2 if it wasn't an overhead and less safe when done naked.

b1 - Safe on block low that advances VERY fucking far. Goes under lows if timed right. On hit leaves Reptile at max d4 range, so mindgames ensue on this on hit.

b4 - Very unconventional sweep, but it does something no other sweep does...goes over other lows. It does this more consistently than f3. You ALWAYS have to be careful attacking Reptile with d3s. He can easily b4 and go over your shit.

d4 - d4...nuff said. Huge range, is among the best footsies tools in the game due to what he can cancel into. The only d4 that is better is Sonya, Sub's is arguable because the range is nowhere near as beastly and is much more limited in options.

This isn't factoring in the fact that he walks the fastest out of any character, has great specials for footsies, is difficult to play footsies vs due to dash, has a slide that goes under lows, and some of the best meter options out there. This is just his normals.

We seriously gotta step up our footsies. Cuz this character has amazing options for that.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
In a game that is all footsies, this character has the jump on a lot of the cast now.

4 best D4 options:

D4 acid hand - safe
D4 invis - unless read this can be quite safe if followed immediately by another d4 cancel. Only fast advancing specials and very few normals punish it when followed by D4.
D4 forceball
D4 EX dash

Espio

Kokomo
Good to hear Reptile getting a positive thread and being hyped up, this is a very solid character and this breakdown is awesome and informative since I don't play Reptile, this helps me in understanding him a bit.

Reptile is in a really good place in this game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Is b1 worth it? Isnt get punished if your opponent happens to jump?
If that meant anything as to how good a normal is, all the characters would be screwed.

It's an advancing low that is safe on block and has tremendous reach on top of lowering Reptile's hitbox to a decent degree. It doesn't lead to damage but it's good at getting the opponent to crouch block.

If that meant anything as to how good a normal is, all the characters would be screwed.

It's an advancing low that is safe on block and has tremendous reach on top of lowering Reptile's hitbox to a decent degree. It doesn't lead to damage but it's good at getting the opponent to crouch block.
I also think that reptile players should start using the D+4 on hit also. Its a guarantee f2 and I believe b1 after

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
2f3 is gdlike. Also 2f31+2 doesn't scale in the air. Its always 17% damage :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

3 - Hits mid on EVERY character, has evasive hurtbox, AAs, leads to solid damage, 0 on block throughout entire 321 string. Yet again it's airtight. :confused:
3 is phenomenal! My buddy uses it a lot & it blows up my poke attempts. However I always felt that Reptile's footsies were watered down because Elbow Dash is a whiff punisher & a rush down tool.

G4S MinotaurLord

Wielder of Toxins
Not to mention that reptile's AA crossover options aren't horrible. If you predict the crossover and react with a NJP your followup setups are numerous and effective, from longer combos to the F3, 1+2, to the "ghetto jumpover" 32 dash crossup. Also, EX forceball is a pretty baller anti-air in general. So is EX (and regular) spit. Reptile is hype, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

IKizzLE

BloodHound
Yup. He's been top 10 in this game, since the game came out.
He has every tool you need, demolishes characters footsie's game, and he can't be zoned out by anyone, even kabal.

And no, Mileena is not a bad matchup. I honestly don't even know any of his bad matchups offhand.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
Kenshi is pretty rough, too. I think Sonya and him are the only two.
If you're a player that dashes relentlessly then yes this would be. When played patiently this is 5-5, I'm tempted to say borderline advantage Reptile.

Kenshi doesn't have a true projectile to zone Reptile with. He also needs to respect the forceball cancel so Reptile can even zone him.