What's new

Reptile problems.... big time

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Ok so the character I have the most problems with is reptile. Nothing I do seems to work. The only thing I can figure out to do is to bait the dash and throw... and that's if he doesn't tech the throw. If I jump, I get dashed. If I try to wake up attack, I get dashed. If I try to crossover punch, he d3's making his hitbox so low he's unhittable on crossup. If I don't just sit and wait for the dash, I get dashed 18 times and I'm dead. Maybe there's something I'm missing here. I've tried applying pressure to try and knock him out of dash on startup frames but then I usually get forceballed.

Even trying to exTU on wakeup doesn't work, because when I get knocked down they usually throw a forceball which moves reptile forward putting him just out of range of exTU, and his recovery is so fast that while I'm coming back down from the exTU I get dashed again. I'm getting quite frustrated. Any tips?

Mix flame, missiles. He'll eventually get burned triyng to dash your flamethrower... sometimes doing double flames in a row works since usually a dash happy reptile will want to dash right after being burned.

PND OmegaK

Drunk and Orderly
Abuse the fact reptile has to jump or elbow dash to get in, horizontal missilies and the flamethrower are your key to victory. Sektor recovers pretty damn quick from missiles so don't be afraid to fire one out if reptile has a forceball on screen, and try not to use up missiles too much because you're asking to be elbow dashed if you do. With the d3 issue, try jump kicking into teleport. Pracitce teleporting on reaction when reptile uses a forceball, and lastly; punish a blocked dash with 12b1 ~ combo.

Hope this helped!

Robotic

Gentleman.
I posted something like this in the Sektor matchup thread, but here you go. This is all foundational and subject to your own spin and experience. Nonetheless:

Zone. All. Day. Reptile needs to get in close to gain advantage here. Missile knocks down on hit - advantage Sektor. Quick recovery on missile means you can rinse and repeat those missiles until Reptile wises up. Watch your opponent the whole time you are zoning and keep a hair trigger on IATU if Reptile decides to try forceballs to interupt your missiles. If Reptile dash blocks, flame thrower from 3/4 screen and repeat. If he gets ANY CLOSER, do not do back-to-back torches because Reptile is now in range to punish a blocked flame thrower with elbow dash - it has a far reach. Play your cards right and Reptile will grow impatient and try to elbow dash in at the wrong times. PUNISH A BLOCKED ELBOW DASH WITH A FULL COMBO. Once Reptile thinks all you have is a full screen game, he will not look for or respect your upclose game. You can jump in an apply mixups, finish combos with anything EXCEPT flame thrower to keep Reptile on the other side of the screen. When Reptile reaches X-ray, STOP THROWING MISSILES.

Keep in mind this is just a foundation.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Or, if you're playing me...stop doing shit in general LMAO.

arydious

Noob
The flamethrower works wonders against him, he will dash right in and you have roast lizard for dinner. Wait for the force balls and do the insta air telepunch. Enhance them and pull off your combos, not to many combos and you got the match down.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
This matchup is annoying because Sektor not only keeps Reptile out very well, he builds meter for safe wakeup later when Reptile does get in. THE MOST ANNOYING THING EVER. Lol.

It's in Sektor's favor, for sure.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Wow thanks for the tips. I think my problem was dicking around with up missiles and flamethrowing back to back/ending combos with flamethrower. I'm going to practice against my reptile friend tonight. Hopefully he ends up more pissed off than I usually am. haha.

I just stumbled across this thread and I have to say you have zone Reptile. He will utterly destroy Sektor on the inside with his elbow dash but if you keep him at fullscreen with b1s and rockets you should be able to beat Reptile. Also, if one gets really dash heavy flame will obliterate the spamming and if a Reptile gets really desperate and tries to trade projectiles, especially balls Sektor gets TU for free. The spit is a even trade with the rockets but in the end knocks down Reptile and that is really hampering to Reptile's game.

This match up is in slightly in Sektor's favor. If Reptile gets in Sektor's face he can practically dash all day for free but in that mid to long range dead zone he has to really be careful since Sektor TUs on his zoning for free.

i think b1 is a better option to keep reptile out then flamethrower. Here are my reasons. Reptiles elbowdash is so fast he can basically do it on reaction to your flaamethrower and beat it out on startup. also if you do it to close (chances you will) and the reptile blocks it he can punish you for it. The reptile player can also dash RIGHT in your face and you'll accidentally do falmethrower on reaction and the reptile will block and punish. Just minor things but add up during a match in the inside game. I would use b1 since its quicker and cant get punished. (unless jumped over but what reptile jumps haha)

So its not just me?! I absolutely hate this match up. Reptile has to be one of the harder match ups in my opinion. Admittedly my perception is skewed because my good friend plays Reptile and he knows all my tricks. Let me tell you, its literally hell with Reppy's mix-ups and forceballs. Sometimes I win more often than not he does. However when I do win it's usually because I succeeded in keeping him away and TU'd is attempts to get in with a forceball. Don't get me wrong however Reptile is a tough cookie. Look for crossover punches and be liberal with your usage of missiles and flamethrowers. But dont wiff a flamethrower or else Reppy will dash in like the mad hatter!

I suggest using Reptile for a bit.

I can manage to be fairly decent with Reptile, and watching higher level Reptiles always helps. I know how to play as him, what works, and what does not, etc...

When you have the mindset of knowing how to use a character, it comes down to how your opponent uses him. This tells you how to react, and which special, standard moves, and combos they favor. This leads to being able to read your opponent, and punish accordingly.

Dash is a bitch to deal with, but it can be countered if you can read it.

I can manage to be fairly decent with Reptile, and watching higher level Reptiles always helps. I know how to play as him, what works, and what does not, etc...

When you have the mindset of knowing how to use a character, it comes down to how your opponent uses him. This tells you how to react, and which special, standard moves, and combos they favor. This leads to being able to read your opponent, and punish accordingly.

yeah baiting dash can be easy sometimes since reptile players love that mobility. I main reptile and sektor but am trying to play the whole cast so i know everyones punishable/non punishable strings and their mix ups and other information. it will help your game greatly when you try to figure out a character every other week lets say. still play your mains but it always helps to know what the rest of the cast is capable of. I punish reptiles dash online with sektors 12b1 and encourage you online players to try it, otherwise reptile will run all over you (literally). alot of people say 'you cant punish the dash online!' this is not true.. play with people who you know have a good connection as well as yourself and reptile shouldnt be a problem. as soon as you punish a dash from reptile they will cut down on the dashing. Without punishing it they will basically run you over with it the whole match just to say 'YOU CANT DO NETHING BOUT THUS NUB' and thats where the rage comes lol. So learning how to punish (usually a string starting with your 1 jab) and anticipate the elbowdash is a key factor i would say for any character facing reptile.

sorry if this seemed obvious or what not, im high and prolly repeated things more often then i should have and this little extra messege isnt necessary but yeah , you get the idea lol.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
EX Homing missle and flamethrower all day long. When you jump and he tries to elbow dash as you land right before you hit the ground, EX TELEPORT PUNCH. Sector has all of the tools to keep Reptile out. If Sector does not have meter in this match up he can still win, but it is not as easy. Sector relize on meter for EX moves alot. As long as you have a EX homing missle or EX teleport punch you should be ok. Don't use these whenever you want plan an attck and bait him out. If you play smart Reptile should be the least of your problems. Get back to use when you start having problems with a well played smoke. NOW SMOKE IS A BAD MATCH-UP FOR SECTOR.

HadesWTF

Don't Hate!

And that's how I can beat your Sektor. (half the time)

=P

lol

Casselman

Also: LockUpYourBones
Have a tourney coming up. Looking to try and take it with Sektor. But I'm not sure if its the ebst choice with powerful reptiles and kitanas also attending.

I can outrange kitana pretty fine. She isn't my concern at this point. Its reptiles dash. Upon a punish or a 12b1 juggle. what combo is there ending in a missile trap thats safe on the dash for another offensive opportunity?

Ive tried in the corner 12b1, 12, 122+upmissile. But his wakeup dash beats both the missile and the block.
12b1, 12, 12+upmissile is alot safer but still poses some risk.

Also. When ranging reptile. I find upmissiles are useless with the dash. and unless you read the jump, bf2 is unsafe against dash as well (frame difference)

The main hole in my game. More of a question in need of answering, is what to do with constant crossover pressure on a rushing opponent? Its hard to to practice test with just myself. But is there any jab or starter for a cross-jumping opponent to set up a F33/4TU, b34 EXtu, B2+bf2? or something along those lines?

Have a tourney coming up. Looking to try and take it with Sektor. But I'm not sure if its the ebst choice with powerful reptiles and kitanas also attending.

I can outrange kitana pretty fine. She isn't my concern at this point. Its reptiles dash. Upon a punish or a 12b1 juggle. what combo is there ending in a missile trap thats safe on the dash for another offensive opportunity?

Ive tried in the corner 12b1, 12, 122+upmissile. But his wakeup dash beats both the missile and the block.
12b1, 12, 12+upmissile is alot safer but still poses some risk.

Also. When ranging reptile. I find upmissiles are useless with the dash. and unless you read the jump, bf2 is unsafe against dash as well (frame difference)

The main hole in my game. More of a question in need of answering, is what to do with constant crossover pressure on a rushing opponent? Its hard to to practice test with just myself. But is there any jab or starter for a cross-jumping opponent to set up a F33/4TU, b34 EXtu, B2+bf2? or something along those lines?
Easy money.. Look if reptile is your problem i have an answer. Reptile gave me plenty of issues so i sat in the training room until i found an answer, An answer emerges. Reptile Dash elbo is his bread and butter he loves that shit. On block its hard to punish.
Bullshit! Sektor can punish on block using 2,1 combo.. It gives them a small stagger off the 1 so you can squeeze in a teleport punch and combo as you kno how. It is a tight window. When i say tight i mean really tight i say practice it, Alot!! When you get it down punishing his dash elbow would be np And he will think twice about doing if not you can ride that to the promise land.

Note: this tactic hardly works online. If yet to do it with the best connection. Offline np

Recap: Dash elbow punish with 2,1 into teleport Punches. It works. may require some practice to get the timing down. Hard to hit confirm...

SwiftTomHanks

missiles are coming
This matchup is annoying because Sektor not only keeps Reptile out very well, he builds meter for safe wakeup later when Reptile does get in. THE MOST ANNOYING THING EVER. Lol.

It's in Sektor's favor, for sure.
Sektor is a bottom tier character and this match up is 10/0 AT BEST in favor of Reptile.

Easy money.. Look if reptile is your problem i have an answer. Reptile gave me plenty of issues so i sat in the training room until i found an answer, An answer emerges. Reptile Dash elbo is his bread and butter he loves that shit. On block its hard to punish.
Bullshit! Sektor can punish on block using 2,1 combo.. It gives them a small stagger off the 1 so you can squeeze in a teleport punch and combo as you kno how. It is a tight window. When i say tight i mean really tight i say practice it, Alot!! When you get it down punishing his dash elbow would be np And he will think twice about doing if not you can ride that to the promise land.

Note: this tactic hardly works online. If yet to do it with the best connection. Offline np

Recap: Dash elbow punish with 2,1 into teleport Punches. It works. may require some practice to get the timing down. Hard to hit confirm...
12 comes out quicker and easier to hit confirm into 12b1. 12b1 punishes reptiles dash. 21 is a good punish for things that the 2 whiffs on in the 12b1 string. for instance, 21~TU b21 b34 TU - about 37% i believe. Unfotunetely we shouldn't be discussing what punishes what online. It should just be what punishes what..online or offline. elbowdash isn't reptiles BnB, a BnB is a combo lol. elbowdash is reptiles mobility/punish tool. We are considering both reptile and sektor players are top notch and a top notch reptile wont spam elbowdash cuz the sektor would punish that shit all day. Its more about baiting the elbowdash IMO.