What's new

Real Talk: EVO2017

El_Rubio

Noob
Hi guys! How do you feel about EVO17 as spectators?

I feel it was the worst EVO ever for us.

I watched it (almost) all and I'm disappointed.

I would like to see what happened with a lot of players, but stream was centered on Sonic, Theo and Semij.

They didn't stream players like Bio or Scar for example. We didn't have much diversity.

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
Semij was extremely exciting to watch. Once he was knocked out, I left the hall though to play blackjack and slam booze. He was the last entertaining player to watch.

PunkMafia83

PSN: YaRnToNpUnKMAFIA
I actually really enjoyed it. Obviously honeybee was a highlight. I really liked theo's Superman well. Good character variety and exciting matches overall.

Worst Evo ever? Not even close. Go check out the tekken 6 grand finals where Bob reigned supreme lol.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
I don't think it was the issue.Did we need all those developpers on stream? Why did Hayatei not have 1 match streamed all the way from pool to top 8 the one who was in charge of that should be put on blast.
I don't think you realize how much goes on at an event, just to run a bracket with 800 people in it. I'm not even talking about the stream yet -- just to run the actual tournament and have things go smoothly and on time.

You're thinking of this as a big line of people on one setup, just waiting for the one king-ordained, hand-picked match to please the stream viewers (who paid nothing, by the way). Just hold up the whole tournament, stop the presses, so we can get this guy on stream.

There are a million factors to consider. Priority is given toward advancing the tournament on time. All setups are not the stream setup. We should be happy they they actually made an effort to put notable players on stream, rather than complaining that the players *you* specifically wanted to see didn't end up being the ones that worked logistically.

If one of you guys actually had to go run a giant tournament, with people yelling at you on the venue floor because XYZ isn't right and X player isn't where he's supposed to be, and TurtleBurger is playing Guilty Gear when his match is up, and the runners need bracket updates ASAP, and an admin is needed because the headphones aren't working at setup #12, and DLC is missing on the other side of the room, etc., you'd appreciate how much it takes just to give the appearance of a smooth stream for everybody else.

Last edited:

Johnny Based Cage

The Shangest of Tsungs
I mean we get it. The person most people didn't want to win won with the character most people (if not outright everyone) can't stand watching. Some great matches and upsets also weren't caught on stream too.

Woopty doo. It was a huge tournament with some shit bound to be missed and it ran smooth as butter with great commentary, production values, plenty of hype moments and upsets that were caught on stream, etc, etc. If this Evo was bad than Injustice 1's first Evo and grand finals from its second were seventh layer of hell torture levels of bad by comparison.

Linkuei82

Live by the sword, Die by the sword
What are we talking about here? Pools stream? Top 8? Grand finals? Productions? All of that put together?

Production wise it was the best to me. Pools that was on stream was the worst. Grand Finals is tied to Inj Evo 2013 to me.

DrZmmm

Noob
Some of the matches in pools were awful(at least what I saw on stream), but I guess that's to be expected? I thought it was a great tournament overall. A good variety of characters used and some very nice matches

Shaka

Tier Whore.
Only issue is they didn't stream the entire top16, they left out key matches and put lots of random scrubs on screen.

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I thought it was great.

There was character diversity, excellent play, good commentary, and high production values.

I don't think you realize how much goes on at an event, just to run a bracket with 800 people in it. I'm not even talking about the stream yet -- just to run the actual tournament and have things go smoothly and on time.

You're thinking of this as a big line of people on one setup, just waiting for the one king-ordained, hand-picked match to please the stream viewers (who paid nothing, by the way). Just hold up the whole tournament, stop the presses, so we can get this guy on stream.

There are a million factors to consider. Priority is given toward advancing the tournament on time. All setups are not the stream setup. We should be happy they they actually made an effort to put notable players on stream, rather than complaining that the players *you* specifically wanted to see didn't end up being the ones that worked logistically.

If one of you guys actually had to go run a giant tournament, with people yelling at you on the venue floor because XYZ isn't right and X player isn't where he's supposed to be, and TurtleBurger is playing Guilty Gear when his match is up, and the runners need bracket updates ASAP, and an admin is needed because the headphones aren't working at setup #12, and DLC is missing on the other side of the room, etc., you'd appreciate how much it takes just to give the appearance of a smooth stream for everybody else.
What goes down is none of my concern as a viewer me watching ads or having Amazon prime is me paying for it I'm paying with my time.
Let's not act like it wasn't someone job to hand pick the match that were on stream it was. That person did a poor job by not showing matches from fan favorite like Hayatei, it's not like the tournament stop while someone is waiting for his match to be streamed. Having none of Hayatei matches streamed and having DJT vs Xian not being on stream by choice(If the rumor is true) just show that the guy in charged did a poor job.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
What goes down is none of my concern as a viewer me watching ads or having Amazon prime is me paying for it I'm paying with my time.
Let's not act like it wasn't someone job to hand pick the match that were on stream it was. That person did a poor job by not showing matches from fan favorite like Hayatei, it's not like the tournament stop while someone is waiting for his match to be streamed. Having none of Hayatei matches streamed and having DJT vs Xian not being on stream by choice(If the rumor is true) just show that the guy in charged did a poor job.
You don't understand.. You don't just 'pick' every match in an 800-man tournament, with a million people playing matches at one time on a ton of different setups in multiple pools. What and who's available depends on multiple other considerations, that come from the tournament, and are not under the control of a guy or girl running a stream.

It's not that person's job to disrupt the entire tournament or delay the bracket just so your personal favorite can be shown if they're playing a match. The tournament is definitely first priority for the people who are there (and paid hundreds of dollars to be there), and the stream is secondary.

And NetherRealm doesn't run ads, so I'm not sure what you mean there.

Last edited:
You don't understand.. You don't just 'pick' every match in an 800-man tournament with a million people playing matches at one time. What and who's available depends on multiple other considerations, that come from the tournament, and are not under the control of a guy or girl running a stream.

It's not that person's job to disrupt the entire tournament or cause delays just so your personal favorite can be shown if they're playing a match. The tournament is priority first for the people who are there, and the stream is secondary.

And NetherRealm doesn't run ads, so I'm not sure what you mean there.
What i am saying is that we pay with our time it's not really free nothing is. I'm not asking for every match to be streamed I'm asking for good matches to be streamed. It's not like there isn't a pre schedule list of potential matches to stream. Those may change depending on how the tournament is going but choosing the potential best is someone's job and he failed at it.