What's new

Real Actors for Mortal Kombat

mattnin

Noob
Not long after Street Fighter II was released in arcades, a somewhat revolutionary game followed. Even though it didn't quite catch on, and played poorly for that matter, Pit Fighter used real actors for its characters and spectators and real pictures for its background.

Not long after that, Mortal Kombat hit the scene and not only included great realistic graphics using actors for character models, but included a state of the art gameplay fighting system as well and was an instant hit. Because of the realism, the gore and blood caused the game to start off controversial.

Don't you think it would've been cool, especially considering the horsepower inside today's gaming consoles and PCs, for Mortal Kombat X to have used real actors and actual sets and background for its graphics? Just like in the first Mortal Kombat games?

Kendall Jenner as Mileena?
Dan Hiergesell as Kano?

I think it would have been awesome!

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
I mean, they kind of do use real actors to make the animations realistic. Like, I'm sure you've seen the NRS videos of them in the motion capture room with actors. But I know what you mean in the OP, and yes, that would be very cool.

mattnin

Noob
Mileena isn't a 5'10" valley girl with the IQ of a teaspoon and no talent.
I actually know nothing about Jenner or what she is famous for. I don't mean this to turn into a Jenner bash topic. I just think it would've been pretty cool if MKX used real actors for its graphics like the old MK

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I mean, they kind of do use real actors to make the animations realistic. Like, I'm sure you've seen the NRS videos of them in the motion capture room with actors. But I know what you mean in the OP, and yes, that would be very cool.
Did they ever state why they do that? Doesn't that make it harder to alter things in the game?

Scott The Scot

Did they ever state why they do that? Doesn't that make it harder to alter things in the game?
I'd imagine that for each move, the actor would do the move as each frame is recorded. For ever frame hold different coordinates to all of the little sensors on the special suit thingy, and they apply it to the model of the character it's for. If they don't like, lets say the way the actors elbow moved, they'd just edit the data they received.

I don't know how it actually works, I'm just a dude on a forum, but I'm assuming it's something like that. :)

LEGI0N47

I like to play bad characters
Do you know how many kids on here have no idea what Pit Fighter was? I dumped many quarters/tokens into that game. Good times!

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I'd imagine that for each move, the actor would do the move as each frame is recorded. For ever frame hold different coordinates to all of the little sensors on the special suit thingy, and they apply it to the model of the character it's for. If they don't like, lets say the way the actors elbow moved, they'd just edit the data they received.

I don't know how it actually works, I'm just a dude on a forum, but I'm assuming it's something like that. :)
That seems like that would create some more hurdles to correct moves if they couldn't just change some data value about it. Like how Kitana got a new low. I'd be interested in someone from NRS talking about that process.

MK_GDROM

*Spit* No Charge
Will Yun Lee could actually play Kung Lao.
Keanu Reeves as Kenshi.
Kate Beckinsale as Kitana
Scott Adkins as Kano
Ray Park as Sub-Zero
Ian Anthony Dale as Scorpion
Michael Jai White as Jax
Donnie Yen as Liu Kang
Ken Watanabe as Raiden
Jason Momoa as Nightwolf
Maggie Q as Jade
Gary Daniels as Stryker

BlackViper415

TYM's Head Herpetologist
It worked back then, but games with digitized actors on static backgrounds like Myst and Mortal Kombat look like moving third-grade collages nowadays. I'm not saying a game should be judged by its graphics because I enjoy both of those games, but it would just look really strange in this day and age.

Scott The Scot

That seems like that would create some more hurdles to correct moves if they couldn't just change some data value about it. Like how Kitana got a new low. I'd be interested in someone from NRS talking about that process.
I don't see where the hurdles are. All the motion capturing does is record what the animations look like whilst making them look realistic and saves a lot of time for the animation team. All the NRS team has to do is apply the Hitbox to the model, then program in whether the move hits low or high or mid or overhead and asign it to a button. If they want to change it they can. I think in one of the live streams they did talk about this, not the process of it in detail but it would be interesting of they did something on it. Maybe try tweeting at some of the NRS team and asking for more information would be beneficial for you :)