What's new

RE: Glitch Cancels

So let me get this straight.. If I want to do 5 hits before I connect a spear with Human Smoke, on the 5th hit I have to hit (example) HP 2 times in a row?

Would someone care to flesh this out as I still don't quite understand it... The guides explanation is very referencial but not helpful.

You have to do the special move on the frame that the 5th hit or whatever number hit connects with the opponent. That leaves a very short window of time to hit it. It's not really something you want to try every single time you have the opportunity.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
I'm going to post the Glitch Canceling explanation so you can point out what you don't understand, it's easier to explain that way but I really thought everything that needed to be said was here

Gameplay Guides said:
Glitch Canceling:

Many special moves in MK have a number of hits you can do before that move is locked. Moves like the Harpoon and teleport punch have a limit of 4 hits and the moves are essentially turned off. MKII did not really have a feature like this, but they start implimenting time limit usage on moves, which still exists in UMK3. You can cancel a LP, HP, JP, or JK on the frame of contact, into a special move with a hit limit, one hit beyond that limit. In other games this technique is referred to as "Just Frames" meaning essentially you have just one frame in 60 to get this to work.

Example character: Scorpion

Block a teleport punch, counter with aaHPHP, delayed JK, teleport punch, run in, aaHP(glitch cancel on contact frame) - harpoon. You have just broken the rules and done 5 hits before a harpoon.

Other examples of moves with hit limit cancels: Kitana's Fan lift (0) Sub's Freeze (1), Mileena's Roll (2), Reptile's Forceball(3), Ermac's Telekinetic Lift(4). Sindels' scream has very strange properties. The scream itself has no legal limit, if you connect a single aaHP or LP between screams, you can continue doing screams until they are too low to the ground, however the general hit limit is 2. If you juggle 1 HP, scream, 2HPs, scream, you can continue doing single HP, dancing on that last hit limit.

After this, you can glitch cancel her scream multiple times: aaHPHP(limit reached), aaHPHPgc, aaHP gc, etc. This concept in general is a very advanced tactic and you should stay away from it in game until you know what you are doing, but the easiest character to practice this with is Sub-zero, as you will see more gcing with him than anyone.

I've messed around with this and never got it to work. I saw it once on XBL, the guy got two HPs->freeze with UnSub before kicking my ass. All-in-all, it's probably not worth the effort unless you have it down to an art. It depends on your view of the "bird in the hand worth two in the bush" idea. Is it worth losing your chance at 40% damage just to go for a 42-43% combo?

dreemernj

Ambassador
megalomaniacvon said:
So you do the special move the exact split second the hit connects?
Yes. When you cancel an HP to a special move there is a tiny delay between when you do the special move and when you switch to the special move animation. With Sub Zero, if you cancel HP to freeze, there is a tiny window where you have triggered the Freeze and it's definately going to happen but your character is still HPing.

If the HP hits after the freeze is triggered but before the animation changes, you'll get a glitch cancel.

In MK3 it was actually possible to do something like this with Kabal against a standing opponent. You could do a standing punch and cancel to dash. Kabal starts moving before his animation changes so he moves forward a tiny bit while in the punch frame. That frame connects, then he switches instantly to a spin and spins the opponent a frame or two later and the spin is actually unblockable.

They took this out in UMK3.

TheGreg said:
I've messed around with this and never got it to work. I saw it once on XBL, the guy got two HPs->freeze with UnSub before kicking my ass. All-in-all, it's probably not worth the effort unless you have it down to an art. It depends on your view of the "bird in the hand worth two in the bush" idea. Is it worth losing your chance at 40% damage just to go for a 42-43% combo?
Doesn't Unsubzeros GC combo do 50% damage?
(aaHP,freeze,aaHP(gc),freeze,aaHPHP,JK,Slide)

dreemernj said:
Yes. When you cancel an HP to a special move there is a tiny delay between when you do the special move and when you switch to the special move animation. With Sub Zero, if you cancel HP to freeze, there is a tiny window where you have triggered the Freeze and it's definately going to happen but your character is still HPing.

If the HP hits after the freeze is triggered but before the animation changes, you'll get a glitch cancel.

They took this out in UMK3.
When trying this on XBLA even with sub , it usually ends up coming out as aaHP , LP as opposed to aaHP , (GC) freeze.

Any advice what im doing wrong?

Hammerbash V2 said:
TheGreg said:
I'm not sure, but you definitely can't start with aaHP, freeze.

You can start with a freeze, then aaHP, gcHP, freeze, etc.

Shock or Dreemer or someone could probably tell you how much damage you can do with it.

TheGreg said:
Hammerbash V2 said:
TheGreg said:
I'm not sure, but you definitely can't start with aaHP, freeze.

You can start with a freeze, then aaHP, gcHP, freeze, etc.

Shock or Dreemer or someone could probably tell you how much damage you can do with it.
You can do:

aafreeze, aahp, freeze, aahp, GCfreeze, aahphp, jk, slide

or

aahp, freeze, aahp, GCfreeze, aahphp, jk, slide

They both do 50%

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Seems interesting and a way to get more damage, very nice.

However after reading everything about this, it seems like one of those "for show look what I can do" things like the parry cancel in MKA, a high level tactic that's most of the time useless or not worth the risk.

MKF30 said:

However after reading everything about this, it seems like one of those "for show look what I can do" things like the parry cancel in MKA, a high level tactic that's most of the time useless or not worth the risk.
no.. Actually, with most characters, you can do some insanely high damage combos with a GC. I've seen a really good Ermac player do 100% combos without using the corner with GC. Same with Human Smoke. And U.sub against the corner, I've seem 70% plus.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
megalomaniacvon said:
MKF30 said:

no.. Actually, with most characters, you can do some insanely high damage combos with a GC. I've seen a really good Ermac player do 100% combos without using the corner with GC. Same with Human Smoke. And U.sub against the corner, I've seem 70% plus.
Despite how much damage someone can do, I still wouldn't risk trying it if a match was on the line. If someone can master it, then by all means try it. I'm just saying I wouldn't risk it as any mistake with it can cost you.

Derek

Noob
megalomaniacvon said:
I've seen a really good Ermac player do 100% combos without using the corner with GC. Same with Human Smoke. And U.sub against the corner, I've seem 70% plus.
ded_ said:
hsmoke and ermac dont have mid-screen 100% using gc and no relaunch
:lol:

ded_ said:
Well I never specifically stated they didn't use a relaunch as well... :sigh:
No offense to you _ded, you're a cool cat.

But read it a bit more carefully..

ded_ said:
There is that mid screen 100% Ermac against Jax that one of you guys put together. It was pretty sweet, I think it started with RH, slam.

Derek

Noob
TheGreg said:
ded_ said:
There is that mid screen 100% Ermac against Jax that one of you guys put together. It was pretty sweet, I think it started with RH, slam.
That's never going to be done in a real match, aside from that the second TKS was blockable be one frame.

ded

Elder God
alright first off, i found that aahpx4 combo. here is another 100% not found by me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chKgk25ypRE

megalomaniacvon what should i have to read? the only useful gc ermac combo would be with gc tks then otg relaunch (from tks), and the getting unblockable another relaunch is very difficult, i really doubt someone ever did that in real match (gc tks and then unblockable relaunch after aa relaunch).

i'm not trying to offense anyone neither to attack someone lol but i'm literaly mastered in glitch cancels and i would never use them in a serious match (not casuals).