What's new

Rate NRS's Balancing Job of Your Main Character(s)!

Can you explain how Thunder Wave can combo a bit easier now? The only changes to Thunder Wave were his far teleport's recovery being increased from 19 to 21 frames and Lightning Strike being able to "track" (not really tracking). None of the two really help his combo ability, as far as I can tell.
Raijin's combos/damage is restricted to Quick Charge, so no combos if it's not on. Thunder Wave has Storm Cell. He can combo at will because of it.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
  • Razors instead of slight frame advantage could of went up to +9 on block
  • It was so + before you got a free hop mixup on hit
  • yeah it was practically the same before so??? it got nerfed
So no, not improved.
I am not sure how you performed combos pre-patch when forward razors did not exist. In any case, I am not interested in the pre-patch version of the game. I think Highborn Kitana may have some potential. She has zoning, anti-zoning, pressure, chip damage, etc. She is not a bad character.

Dr Jackal

Dr__Jackal
Devastating on Shang Tsung... can't understand how they figure out to nerf his damages so much. He was in my opinion balanced, or maybe reduce a little bit the damages, but not like that. Not sure if we will see him in tournament anymore.

So on my main, I am not happy of their job. Awesome job on Kollector by the way.

gitblame

Noob
Reptile is not in the game, I don't consider any character I use in this game as my character.

But they buffed a little Fan-fare Kitana, and made Highborn pressure really stupid, so I guess it's fine.

Rate NRS's balancing job of your main character or characters using the letters A, B, C, D, and F. Include a brief rationale if you wish. Please refrain from ranking characters using the letters. Keep post patch tier list discussions in this thread. However, you may still discuss your main character's or characters' tier status in this thread.

Shang Tsung (Warlock) - A
Rationale - Ground eruption does less damage, which affects all combos. Considering all previous top tier characters received some type of damage reduction, this change is fair. Frame data remains the same across the board. Shang Tsung's gameplay remains the same, but he has to hit you more one time to win the round.

Scorpion (Reborn) - B
Rationale - Scorpion received a controversial adjustment to the teleport. The move remains an exceptional anti-zoning and whiff-punishing tool so I approve of the change. However, I dislike less hit advantage on d+4 when other d+4s were not altered.

Erron Black (52 Kard Pickup) - D
Rationale - Not only did significant changes to fatal blow, scud shot cancels, and d+1 affect various aspects of Erron Black's gameplay, they also affected combos, damage, and set ups. Previous top five characters such as Geras and Sonya also received far less changes than Erron Black. This inconsistency as well as the arguable fact that the character might have dropped a tier or even two leads me to believe that the developers did a poor balancing job in this case.
Erron Black - completely agree... he got hit pretty hard. But worst part is the riffle cancel having to hold UP, this has messed up my timing pretty badly. Also, they didn't do anything to his useless dynamite move.

Erron Black: B-
I get that his first variation needed to be toned down but his second variation has maybe the worst special in the game. Maybe if that was replaced I would feel differently.

D'vorah: B+
Arachnophobia is the freaking jam now. I think she could use just a bit more universal damage or a better mid but I won't complain too much. I wish it was more of a toss up to play Buzzed.

Nightwolf: A
Early days, but the guy is a beast. Seems like a very well designed character so far. Everyone is (myself included) focused on his first variation, but there are grumblings (by better players than I) his second variation might actually be more viable.

Scarlet: TBD
I haven't really touched her since the balance update. I mess around with her every now and then - what did the patch do to her? I liked that there were arguments for both variations pre-patch but I think she needed just a little bit more (not a lot)

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I am not sure how you performed combos pre-patch when forward razors did not exist. In any case, I am not interested in the pre-patch version of the game. I think Highborn Kitana may have some potential. She has zoning, anti-zoning, pressure, chip damage, etc. She is not a bad character.
I'm just saying she didn't get as "buffed" as you think she did from her prior state.

Vhozite

Waiting on SF6
Jade - B+
Balanced midtier character that got a few buffs to her weaker variation and no nerfs. Docked points because ED is still the better variation most of the time and she could do with a few QoL buffs like a faster parry.

Kitana - C+: Fan Fare got token buffs and is still nothing special. Highborn got a good buff to razors but now 90% of her gameplan revolves around that move, which i don't like from a design/fun perspective.

Frost - B: She got much needed adjustments on a lot of her frames, but her bomb variation is still garbage and she still has a couple other issues. But at least now she feels functional.