What's new

ranked variations and e-sports

Hello Everyone
I have been playing fighting games for 30 years. I am no where near a tournament guy. However, I do recognize that mk11 is doing something really special and we need to acknowledge this.

I have a background in individual competitive combat sport. My sport is fencing. MK11 is the closest a video game has come to recreating the feel of a combat sport. it isnt just another "how long can you keep your combo going" game. No, everything your opponent tries to do to you can be countered and escaped from. The system has straight forward and simple tools but then if you go about really learning them your game can become very complex with resource management and threat. This is great.

The tutorial in the game is also unique. I have not seen another game go into detail of frame rates and punishments. I am just use to "here are the special moves and a combo trial" and that is it. I never understood all the talk of frame rate and punish timing and such when I would watch a stream of a competition. It was never worth it to me to go through and look up what all that meant. But now, I understand this stuff. So the next time I watch some matches on stream I will have a greater understanding of the subtle aspects of the high level game. This is important for e-sports.

Now e-sports. E-sports has been building up popularity in the last few years. MK11 has the potential to capatilized on this and build it up even more. See because it teaches you the subtle things in the game In am better equipped to see those things in a match and gain more enjoyment from the viewing. Every sport can be dull or exciting depending on one's understanding of the subtle things. A fencing match can be exciting and dynamic to watch but if you haven't taken a class and learned the rules of right of way then you will be lost on how the scoring is done and lose interest. The set variations for ranked work into this as well. And they are necessary for the game to be viable in e-sport. imagine how much time would be wasted in every competitor in an event needing to go through and build their variation? If you go and do a MK11 ranked match you play the same person in a first to 3 wins game where the loser of a match has the option to change characters. This is the standard rule for most e-sport competitions. So if I go and mess around with ranked matches I will be playing just how I will see things on stream, which gives me more understanding of it.

I have not seen another game put as much effort into teaching players how to appreciate the high level aspect of the game. When they say they want to support the game for a long time I believe them.
Now for my opinion on the RNG stuff. It took me 2 nights of playing (I have a 4yo and a 2yo so I play when everyone is in bed) to get the 20k xp needed to max out a set of gear. that seems reasonable to me. there is a lot of gear. I am surprised by how much gear is out there. I am find with this gear being RNG because I can drop a character specific island and just get gear for that character I choose. I just do not want to get a double of any gear piece, and I do not think that is possible so I'm glad.
I do not like micro transactions. But I understand they need to find a system to have some kind of continuous income stream so they can pay their staff to keep developing the game. I'm not sure if I like it or not, I've ignored the premium store so far, as I do with most games. I'm not really interested in purchasing costumes or easy fatalitie one use things.

NRS if you are reading this here is my suggestion for a continuous income stream. Monthly online tournaments. build a organization system that will take a number of players, 100 or 50 or whatever (you don't want it to last longer then 2 hours), and place them into an automated tournament. Charge $5 to enter. Award 40% of registration for prize support in Xbox cash or psn cash. and give a color variation of bronze, silver, gold (depending on how high you place) to the character skin you used the most. If you have this running for a weekend you will get a lot of people to enter and a lot will enter over and over again. I know I would enter this. Even expecting to get scraped, I've always found official tournaments of anything to be extra exciting and fun.

Well there are my thoughts. I am enjoying this game and I look forward to enjoying this game for a long time. i know the cool thing right now is to be mad at towers difficulty and RNG but the gameplay is giving me something I've been wanting for a long time and I am just thrilled with it.