What's new

Ranked needs to be 2/3

Rizz091

Noob
I feel like Netherrealm needs to hear this, and most competitive players would agree with me that this game needs 2/3 ranked matches. It works great on SFV and I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who get gimmicked to death in one game and want that run back. This only serves to make the online play more enjoyable and competitive.

League style ranking system would also be nice! The current matchmaking is all over the place. 5 casual players who don't know what they're doing and then boom you run into a top player. Then another new player, I'd like to just play higher skilled players and not waste my time with people who don't know what they're doing. What are your thoughts?

Edit: glad to see such a positive response! Yes I also agree player matches should be competitive by default or have the ability to search player matches and koth by default. I'll tag @tylerlansdown as well as suggested.

Last edited:

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
That would actually be really cool. I enjoyed that feature a lot in SFV. It gave you a chance to figure out your opponent if they surprised you in game 1.

I also agree about the ranking system. Personally I have always hated the matchmaking (or lack of) in NRS games. Sometimes my record looks better than it probably should because I keep getting matched with people who I am significantly better than, then all of a sudden a good player comes in and I get my ass kicked.

I remember talking about this during the start of MKX, and I got told by people here that matchmaking was fine and if I wanted tough games consistently I should just look for players here, which I still think is ridiculous. Why should you have to go outside the game to find competition to make up for very, very poor matchmaking? Pretty much every other fighting game in existence tries to pair you up with players of equal skill consistently.

John Grizzly

The axe that clears the forest
They also do 2/3 in Killer Instinct. I'd love to see it happen. Can't tell you how often I lose to some nonsense and feel like the biggest shithead in the world right after. 2/3 would be a fantastic option. I'm sure some players would still want the 1 game, but they could easily implement a setting that matches you against other people who want 2/3.

I feel like Netherrealm needs to hear this, and most competitive players would agree with me that this game needs 2/3 ranked matches. It works great on SFV and I'm sure there's plenty of people out there who get gimmicked to death in one game and want that run back. This only serves to make the online play more enjoyable and competitive.

League style ranking system would also be nice! The current matchmaking is all over the place. 5 casual players who don't know what they're doing and then boom you run into a top player. Then another new player, I'd like to just play higher skilled players and not waste my time with people who don't know what they're doing. What are your thoughts?
The only problem is that NRS has had a history of having bad netcode, and I have seen people on Injustice 1 lag switch thousands of times, so it would be unnecessary to force a best out of three with people who have bad connections and/or are cheating until those issues are solved.

I can't stand Ranked in its current state. I still play it but it pisses me off. You can't actually get better playing one game at a time. I feel like the quality of opponent is better in Ranked than Player Matches. I find I'm much more likely to get lopsided matches in Player. I also have <5% chance to beat anyone I'm ever matched against in either mode according to the game so I don't know what they're using to calculate that shit but it isn't right.

I play my secondary characters and characters I'm learning in Player matches which ends up in me losing badly for a lot of games sometimes and it's all skewed I think.

The Netcode for me is damn near flawless with I2.
I'm not an expert on netcode, but what I said is still true: which is that NRS has a recent history of having questionable netcode. Online ranked for the past four titles aren't exactly as clean as Killer Instinct online, which is part of what the TC's recommendation is based on...

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
It's so simple and I dont understand why it's not a thing:

Make it best of 3 or 5

Make at least 5 tiers of skill level, (i.e. Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Diamond) with like 3 different sub levels per tier.

Allow inter-tier play but allow the players the choice to play the match or not so Silvers dont HAVE to play Diamonds.

If a Bronze beats a Bronze, you move up a subtier, if a Bronze beats, a Platinum, have them move up faster.

Make rewards for all of this greater than Player Matches.

SnowboardRX

^ You have no idea who this guy is ^
YES!!! I've been wanting this since before MKX. Makes more sense than a 1 and done. Hell, let there be two types of ranked modes. 1 for the way it is and an option for people who want a best out of 3/5 set. I guarantee you'd have close to a 100% agreement consensus on this.

I'm not an expert on netcode, but what I said is still true: which is that NRS has a recent history of having questionable netcode. Online ranked for the past four titles aren't exactly as clean as Killer Instinct online, which is part of what the TC's recommendation is based on...
Have you even played Injustice 2 online? It's damn near perfect. Majority of the time it's like playing offline...barring the one person you connect to who's playing on a WiFi router.

I love the way KI does their ranking system, bronze and silver only play 1 match gold players plays 2/3 and it feels phenomenal to pull of that win. This weeds out the one and done crowd and keeps the competitive integrity of matchmaking for the people who wish to level up. You should also allow people to reset their ranks at least once a season for the one and dones.

I love the way KI does their ranking system, bronze and silver only play 1 match gold players plays 2/3 and it feels phenomenal to pull of that win. This weeds out the one and done crowd and keeps the competitive integrity of matchmaking for the people who wish to level up. You should also allow people to reset their ranks at least once a season for the one and dones.
What do you mean by the last comment about people resetting their rank?

Name v.5.0

Iowa's Finest.
@Rizz091 I really believe this is worth tagging someone from NRS on...I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but it would increase the hype and longevity of the game. Hell, I use Ranked as a way to test out a new character because I'd rather have a good Player Match score than a good Ranked score. How backwards is that???