What's new

Question - Kotal Kahn Rank Kotal's Variations from best to worst

Rank Kotal's three variations from most competitively viable to least competitively viable

• 1) War God, 2) Blood God, 3) Sun God

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • 1) War God, 2) Sun God, 3) Blood God

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • 1) Sun God, 2) War God, 3) Blood God

Votes: 19 19.8%
  • 1) Sun God, 2) Blood God, 3) War God

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 1) Blood God, 2) Sun God, 3) War God

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • 1) Blood God, 2) War God, 3) Sun God

Votes: 10 10.4%

• Total voters

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
I have seen a lot of debate in recent months on the Kotal forums about where each variation stands in relation to the other two. Imo, Kotal is one of the few characters in MKX with 3 legitimately competitive variations.

So, I'm just curious to see how fellow Kotal players would rank them a few weeks before what is very likely to be the last major balance patch we get. Have at it.

TotallyNotKotalKahn

Low Tier Addict
WG is generally accepted as the best all around variation. It is kinda weak against zoners, honestly i wish his db3u destroyed projectiles like leatherfaces stance thing does.

blood god while having some obvious weaknesses has better all around gameplan and ability to stick to the gameplan and win than sun god does. Obsidian totem gives him enough time and meter to outpace his opponents damage.

sun god is the weakest because its gameplan just doesn't have the same level of utility as blood god. I love sun god, and when you actually open a dude up the damage is real, but it takes alot of setup to do what he does and its nowhere near as rewarding as blood god.

oaoo94

Owner of HAZARDOUS Gaming
I love Blood God. I would say War God is the best only because it has a better chance against Grandmaster Sub. Other than that, the other two variations handle every other match up pretty well.,

TommyKing5

But the saw... the saw is family
It's a tough question. I don't think any of Kotal's variations are 'bad', just that some do the job better than others.

War God has a whole arsenal of armoured moves as well as mixups at his disposal. On knockdown you always have to respect him. While his damage is not as good as the other two, even as a Kotal main I hate fighting War God the most, especially when I'm stuck in the corner.

Blood God I feel is better in certain matchups than War God. In my opinion, Blood God is a great counter to Tempest due to the fact that the Obsidian Totem (db2) nullifies his high damage. You really don't have to respect Tempest as much.

Sun God has great damage and a different type of mixup in the form of tick throws. Sun God also has a great way to manage his levels of Sun God Choke, giving him meter or health on a level three cash-in.

All in all, Kotal is a tank in all three. While War God has the most opinions out of all three, the other two variations shouldn't be looked over.

Looking forward to what KP2 brings to Kotal, I'm sure there will be more changes to him past what we've seen in the beta.

DelSchokoladenSaft

Can of Corn Main
Ooh, these are some juicy pit-za pies.
I main Sun God, but I feel comfortable playing the other two variations as well.

Since I used Sun God since the days of the first level doing 7%, I might've crawled into a bubble

Blood God is potential energy. It's glorious when you land a combo with blood sacrifice and crystal totem up, but it seldom happens in the heat of the match. I use obsidian totem the most and I always crack a smile when I win by time out.

War God is the most straight forward character with 50/50's. I use it against other 50/50 characters.

Sun God is kinetic and potential being able to cash out levels for meter or health.
48% comboes are cool.

KeyserSoze

Fabled Villain
It's a tough question. I don't think any of Kotal's variations are 'bad', just that some do the job better than others.

War God has a whole arsenal of armoured moves as well as mixups at his disposal. On knockdown you always have to respect him. While his damage is not as good as the other two, even as a Kotal main I hate fighting War God the most, especially when I'm stuck in the corner.

Blood God I feel is better in certain matchups than War God. In my opinion, Blood God is a great counter to Tempest due to the fact that the Obsidian Totem (db2) nullifies his high damage. You really don't have to respect Tempest as much.

Sun God has great damage and a different type of mixup in the form of tick throws. Sun God also has a great way to manage his levels of Sun God Choke, giving him meter or health on a level three cash-in.

All in all, Kotal is a tank in all three. While War God has the most opinions out of all three, the other two variations shouldn't be looked over.

Looking forward to what KP2 brings to Kotal, I'm sure there will be more changes to him past what we've seen in the beta.
Very much agree with the last sentence. So many people are jumping to conclusions in various forums in TYM based on the Beta. Remember, the beta isn't final and NRS has explicitly pointed out the beta is not up to date balance-wise.

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
As I said before I am the best sungod I have ever seen. That being said pre-beta I believe Sun God and War God were even. Post-beta War God is now the best with sun and blood being even.

mattnin

Noob
I've played LOTS of Blood God. I've also given myself stints of playing War and Sun but I always get back to Blood. I think War God is the weakest of the three but probably just barely edges out Sun God because of the paddle moves. Sun God is ok but really, all he has is a command throw over Blood God. Blood God has everything, he has a great defense buff forcing you to kill him twice. If you're reliant on the cheese command throw of Sun God, I can see how you think Blood God is worse. But if you play enough Blood God and learn footsies well enough, you'd probably also think the defense totem is better than the throw. I no longer have issues with Grandmaster like I used to. As matter of fact, I'd rather face a Grandmaster over a cryo any day. Grandmaster is weak and his ice clones and ice balls are mitigated with a parry. I'm just no longer a believer that Blood God is the weakest of the three. Then again, maybe I'm biased. I just really like Blood God. He reminds me of Zangief in Street Fighter 2. High risk, but if you can pull it off and land the spinning piledriver, he was unstoppable. With Blood God, if you can successfully manage your totems with expert parry usage, Blood God is formidable. I'll leave my Blood God opinion to the scores of dead Tremors, Kung Lao's, Grandmasters, and other top tiers. Except for Hish Qu Ten *shakes fist*

TheRealOnlyGoonie

Hey You Guys
I've played LOTS of Blood God. I've also given myself stints of playing War and Sun but I always get back to Blood. I think War God is the weakest of the three but probably just barely edges out Sun God because of the paddle moves. Sun God is ok but really, all he has is a command throw over Blood God. Blood God has everything, he has a great defense buff forcing you to kill him twice. If you're reliant on the cheese command throw of Sun God, I can see how you think Blood God is worse. But if you play enough Blood God and learn footsies well enough, you'd probably also think the defense totem is better than the throw. I no longer have issues with Grandmaster like I used to. As matter of fact, I'd rather face a Grandmaster over a cryo any day. Grandmaster is weak and his ice clones and ice balls are mitigated with a parry. I'm just no longer a believer that Blood God is the weakest of the three. Then again, maybe I'm biased. I just really like Blood God. He reminds me of Zangief in Street Fighter 2. High risk, but if you can pull it off and land the spinning piledriver, he was unstoppable. With Blood God, if you can successfully manage your totems with expert parry usage, Blood God is formidable. I'll leave my Blood God opinion to the scores of dead Tremors, Kung Lao's, Grandmasters, and other top tiers. Except for Hish Qu Ten *shakes fist*
Tell me you're joking. You really think blood god is his best variation?

Generalbit

The blade of osh-tekk is stale.
Matchup dependent. War God is universally strong up close and mid range, but in the matches against strong zoners such as reptile or kitana SG or BG is better due to parry and pizza eating projectiles.

Kotal_Wannabe

AKA AndyPandy
Wargod is definitely the best variation right now, he's got possibly the best armored attack in the game and does respectable meterless midscreen damage. Though I mostly play bloodgod just because it's fun to put up a defense totem and laugh when someone spends meter on a combo while i'm building it up, also the corner damage is so damn satisfying when it lands. But anyway bring on the beta I think sungod has some real good potential with his new projectile dissolving pizza and also the b14 grab on hit and block will be fun to use and and a world of pain for people who don't know the matchup and noobs alike.

Last edited: