What's new

Question Random smoke questions

Unfortunately I won't have a console to play MK9 on for the next few days so I figured I'd do some theory-kombat in the meantime:

I typically end my combos with jump+kick into air throw but I just remembered you can TP after an air kick too, is that the better option? (since OTG smoke bomb doesn't work anymore)

does enhanced shake do more damage? (should i ever use it to counter projectiles?)

I usually end up sitting on my meter because im used to using it for guaranteed damage with other characters, what do you guys usually use the bulk of your meter for?

My practice partner LOVES to jump in with kick but smoke's roundhouse is terribly slow, what are my best(or fastest) anti-air options?

I get my ass kicked by kung lao's rush down, typically because the start-up on 3,1,2 is so slow and he can attack again before i get my kick out. What is smoke's fastest punish? How do you punish characters who attack very quickly?

Air throw gives a ton of advantage, what do you guys so with this time? I used to smoke bomb but I do it so often that it's super predictable and never hits.

Does invis build meter? Is there any reason I should be doing this?

SZSR

Noob
Unfortunately I won't have a console to play MK9 on for the next few days so I figured I'd do some theory-kombat in the meantime:

I typically end my combos with jump+kick into air throw but I just remembered you can TP after an air kick too, is that the better option? (since OTG smoke bomb doesn't work anymore)
First off, let me welcome you to TYM, great that you found your way here to the Smoke forums to ask your questions, i'll try and answer to the best of my abilities.
does enhanced shake do more damage? (should i ever use it to counter projectiles?)
:en Shake (known as Vibration) I don't believe does more damage as it would make it the go to attack to countering projectiles. Since the beginning my rule of thumb has been to always counter predictable projectiles with regular Shake as it costs no meter (builds it actually); you can block out of it incase it whiffs (not safely, but relatively safely if you are full screen which is the best place to do Shake at personally) and it's just easier to input without that extra block button. So it's up to you but there's more cons to using :en Shake against projectiles, it's much better against throws, normals and physical specials.
I usually end up sitting on my meter because im used to using it for guaranteed damage with other characters, what do you guys usually use the bulk of your meter for?
I use it sparingly on Vibrations and :en Smoke Bombs, :en Smoke bombs make combos easily and since OTG is gone, after jumpkick+air throws, you can do an :en Smoke Bomb for unblockable damage while they are on the ground.
My practice partner LOVES to jump in with kick but smoke's roundhouse is terribly slow, what are my best(or fastest) anti-air options?
Personally, block and punish but some users have used 2, 1, 4 as anti-airs.
I get my ass kicked by kung lao's rush down, typically because the start-up on 3,1,2 is so slow and he can attack again before i get my kick out. What is smoke's fastest punish? How do you punish characters who attack very quickly?
Personally, it's 2, 1, Smoke bomb or 1, 1, Smoke bomb. Some of the game's fastest normals. Not good reach though.

Air throw gives a ton of advantage, what do you guys so with this time? I used to smoke bomb but I do it so often that it's super predictable and never hits.
Always use Smoke bomb, it keeps them away and if they get caught in it, that's more damage for you.

Does invis build meter? Is there any reason I should be doing this?
Yes, not much but yes. As for doing it, maybe like once or twice a match, but not often as an entire strategy for a match because players can catch on. We actually had a discussion about this, check the :ex Invisibility thread.

Ok since I'm alittle new to Smoke I don't know everything but I can answer your questions.

1.Jumpkick air throw is the best option because the last hit of jumpkick TP misses.

2.I don't know about En Shake but don't use it for projectiles use regular Shake.

3.The only time I use use meter is for En Shake to stop rushdown chars but En TP is good to catch your opponents offguard.

4.For anti-airs En Shake is the BEST option but you also use jumpkick airthrow but its good to save meter.

5.En Shake is also good for rushdown but if you don't want to keep using meter do d+1 it stuffs alot of pokes.

6.I use Smoke bomb also but you can also use Smoke Cloud to close distance you just have to experiment.

7. Yes it does build meter but theres really no uses for it but on startup it can go through projectiles.

Hope this helped.

CallMeTetris

draxx them sklounst
I use pretty much all my meter for EX shakes - great for getting out of pressure, and good for anti-airs if you're like me and are terrible at timing normals for AA. Failing that, if I have no meter I try to stop rushdown with d1.

IMO the best thing to do after an air throw is whiff a telepunch as soon as you hit the ground, it'll get you right in their face to start a mixup as they wake up.

Actually, the best thing to do off of air throw is whiff a TP then go into a high/low mixup with sweep/B+2. I detail oki options pretty thoroughly in the guide, check it out so that I don't have to re-type everything.

on how to get outta pressure i would rather doing the phase toward move ,i find a bit safer than shake and if you go through your opponent while he is doing a combo you might have a chance to do combo of choice.
and for meter usage i actually use ex-bomb in my bnb 45-46% or the phase toward as it goes through every thing and gives you a breather.
last advice never use ex-ray as in never cuz the breaker is way more precious than 30% damage.
[BUBBLE][/BUBBLE]