What's new

Guide Rain Notes

I hope that these prove useful to someone and I hope that perhaps the rest of the Rain users out there will add more should this actually help anyone. I have no one to test any of these things with, so I encourage anyone who can test these notes, please do so for accuracy. This is all I have for now. Thank you for everyone's input and added info! (M2Dave, ApocaLips, Creepy00, xxTeefxx,Shinzo123)

Basic Normals (not all of them)

Sweep - Rain's sweep appears to be almost identical to Sub-Zero's. The range, speed and recovery all appear to be the same.

Uppercut - Rain's uppercut starts at a decent rate. The speed seems very similar to Kenshi's uppercut with some of the behind the head coverage that Noob Saibot's uppercut delivers.

D+1 - H - Rain's D+1 is decent for a universal move. His fingertips do not count as an active collision region so the range is shorter than it appears.

D+4 - L- This low poke appears to give frame advantage on hit, like most characters. After landing this it would seem that standing 4 is uninterpretable. I have been trying to test to see if B+2, 1+2 will also work.

B+3 - H - Rain's stepping sidekick offers about a 3/4 screen knockdown on hit for 11% damage. This move is unable to cancel into any of Rain's special moves. From max range the opponent can duck the sidekick with ease. At closer ranges this move cannot be ducked, however there are better options at this distance. When used an anti-air this kick excels from afar. Random jump-ins from too far will send the opponent flying full screen distance from you but that lost ground must be regained as Rain's ranged options are limited. Perhaps, if used to put your opponent in the corner this move may be become versatile. If used in the corner to stop a neutral jump (specific, I know) you can land addition hits for a corner juggle of your choice.

B+1 - L - One of Rain's few low attacks outside of the universal move-set. The axe hand has a similar animation to the beginning of Rain's B+2 however this offers little in the way of mix-ups. The range seems sub-par at best and only does 5% damage, there are more options out of Rain's other lows and this move cannot be canceled into any special moves.

B+Throw/Neutral Throw - Rain's back throw leaves him closer to the opponent than his F+Throw. This distance is perfect for D+4 pokes or a super roundhouse (not accounting for wake-up attacks of course) should they use a wake up attack an EX super roundhouse will work wonders. Both throws do 12% damage.

Strings that launch (I do not know if these strings are safe)

1, 2, F+4 - HHH - The first two hits of this string can be ducked by most of the cast** . The third hit cannot be ducked and launches. I do not know if this is safe!

**NOTE** Characters that cannot duck the second hit of this string **NOTE**
Scorpion, Liu Kang, Smoke, Stryker, Shang Tsung, Kabal, Raiden, Kenshi, Rain.

Due to hitbox issues from the idle animations from these characters SOMETIMES they can be hit by the second hit of this string. It is a safer bet to assume they CAN duck the second hit.
Nightwolf, Noob Saibot, Sonya, Kano, Baraka, Sheeva, Cyber Sub-Zero, Kratos, Skarlett

B+2, 1+2 - HM - This first hit of this string cannot be ducked. The second hit is an overhead that must be blocked standing. I do not know if this is safe! B+2, 1+2 bounces the opponent to the same height no matter where they are vertically. It's a great punish starter if you aren't comfortable with punishing with 4,3 yet. This can be fuzzy guarded along with B+2, 3 making this "mix-up" ineffective against opponents who can fuzzy guard.

Strings (I do not know if these strings are safe)

1, 1 - HH - The first hit can be ducked however the second hit cannot be ducked.

2, 4 - HH - The first hit can be ducked however the second hit cannot be ducked. At a distance the second hit can be ducked. If done during a juggle, it will pop them up a little higher and the string is cancel-able. If you add aqua splash after landing 2,4, in a juggle, it will leave your opponent standing for more pressure.

B+2, 3 - HL - The first hit cannot be ducked. The second hit must be blocked crouching. This can be fuzzy guarded along with B+2, 1+2 making this "mix-up" ineffective against opponents who can fuzzy guard.

3, 3, 4 - HHH - This string cannot be ducked and on a successful hit on a crouching opponent forces them to stand for the rest of the string.

4, 3, B+4 - HHH - This string cannot be ducked under and forces the opponent to stand on hit. The first hit of this string can be canceled into Super Round House. 4,3,b+4 does not juggle. This is a pure string that cannot be interrupted.

4~d,b+4 juggles. Can be interrupted by armor attacks and X-Rays in between the hits, but it is not easy to do in the heat of a battle.

4,3~d,b+4 does not juggle. Last hit can be interrupted by armor attacks and X-Rays, but it is not easy to do in the heat of a battle. Solid string, nonetheless, to build meter.

Special Moves

Teleport - D,U - From what I can tell this teleport seems a little slow. Rain can be hit out of the initial animation. I am unsure if it safe, although I doubt it. EX teleport appears to come out fast and acts very similar to his up kick/Geyser Kick move and does 13% dmg.

Super Roundhouse - D, B+4 - Start-up seems a little slow, knocks opponent through the screen (UMK3 style). This can be charged but no noticeable change seems to happen when fully charged. The EX version does 4% more damage and has SUPER armor. This move is safe on block. The charge can be dash canceled however you cannot block after the dash. This move can also be special canceled.**

**NOTE** While holding down 4 to charge the kick, input the command for your next special (D,B+4 - [while holding 4] D, U - Rain will hold his kick then teleport!). All special moves and EX moves can be canceled into except another Super Roundhouse. **NOTE**

I cannot claim credit for figuring this out myself, but with Rain's EX Super Round House you are able to dash cancel into other normals for extended combos. Thank you to xxTeefxx for posting this video in the Rain general discussion thread

Here is a video from Shinzo123, this video should give all us Rain users some ideas of how Rain's pressure game can work. I think we can all agree that Rain has a ton of untapped potential

Water ball - D, F+3 - Decent start-up, the projectile itself seems to travel at a decent speed but appears to be slower than Sub-Zero's ice ball. When the opponent is hit you are able to control their placement on the screen for about 2 (in game) seconds. This move does no damage, however the EX version does 3% dmg and eats a little less than a single bar of the opponents meter.

Up kick/Geyser Kick - D, B+3 - This seems to be a good anti air, has fast start-up speed and I believe it has some invulnerability on wake-up (limited testing). Unsure if this is safe on block, although I doubt it. The EX version appears to come out faster, has armor and does 3 hits.

Lightning - D, B+2 - This move has decent start-up time, similar to Ermacs tele-slam. If the opponent is walking forward the lightning will whiff (Sub-Zero testing only). If the opponent is walking backwards the lightning will hit them (Sub-Zero testing only). Lightning appears to be unsafe on block and very unsafe on whiff, use with caution outside of combos. The EX version will hit opponents who are walking forward and backwards, does 3 hit and adds 5% more damage than the standard Lightning.

Aqua Splash/Water Gun - B, F+1- This move has a range that is a little further than Rain's D+4. It will leave the opponent standing after juggles (IE Sektor's flamethrower). I am unsure if this is safe, but it appears to recover quickly. The EX version adds 4% more dmg, appears to start-up as well as recover faster and has armor.

H20 Boost - F, D, B+1 - this move boosts Rain's damage output. Each of Rain's moves does 1-2% more damage from what I can tell in practice mode. The EX version adds more dmg about 2-6% maybe more. You CANNOT block after using either version of this move!

X-Ray
Rain's X-Ray will do 30% damage if it is done naked and can be followed up with a variety of combos. Interestingly, it seems that while Rain can follow up combos into Water Ball or Lightning, these moves will not allow you to juggle as they would normally. The water ball/Lightning hits but you cannot control the opponent/they do not float. Rain's X-Ray can be landed inside of combos with relative ease after a Water Ball (if the combo is kept short) and Lightning (even in longer combos).
Rain's X-Ray will also track the opponent on the ground, however, if the opponent is walking forward the X-Ray will whiff, walking backwards results in the opponent getting hit. Rain's X-Ray animation also appears to be an exaggerated version of Ermac's. This leads me to believe that it is not safe.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Best strings seem to be anything with 4,3. Everything else seems to be useless. Be aware that the second hit of 4,3 can miss at further distances. 4 punishes Reptile's b,f+2 on block, so it is probably 11 - 13 frames fast.

4~d,b+4 juggles. Can be interrupted by armor attacks and X-Rays in between the hits, but it is not easy to do in the heat of a battle.

4,3~d,b+4 does not juggle. Last hit can be interrupted by armor attacks and X-Rays, but it is not easy to do in the heat of a battle. Solid string, nonetheless, to build meter.

4,3,b+4 does not juggle. "Pure" string that cannot be interrupted.

Of course, cancel the super kick for mind games and mix ups.

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Anyone know some good ways to punish something you block that leaves the opponent in the air?

Like lets say, Kung Laos dive kick or Sektors uppercut. How would you punish those?

4,3 isnt hit confirmable. B+2, 1+2 and 1,2,F+4 are. They're better for starting combos and poking. 4,3 is for when you already started a combo or are punishing.

@Pandemic: B+2, 1+2 bounces them to the same height no matter where they are vertically. It's a great punish starter if you aren't comfortable with punishing with 4,3 yet.

If you guys dont mind, I'll add some of the things posted here to the top. Spread the wealth!
@Kwon - Youre very welcome, I really like this character and want to learn all I can.

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
4,3 isnt hit confirmable. B+2, 1+2 and 1,2,F+4 are. They're better for starting combos and poking. 4,3 is for when you already started a combo or are punishing.
Yea, seriously. I would strongly discourage people from attempting to start any non punish bnb with 4,3.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
ApocaLips said:
Good luck building meter. You need to get more hits blocked to gain more meter. Because Rain doesn't have much of a zoning game and his teleport is unlike Raiden's, he can only build meter up close, and b+2,1+2 and 1,2,f+4 won't cut it.

Creepy00

Noob
Notes: Rain's footsies and sweep is really similar to Sub zero :D Dont know if they prevent wake up calls but like sekto's r d4 it lets pressure
Rain throw get punish by sub ice clone, since the damage applies after rain release the character from the airborn throw
Teleport as wake up isnt safe, i got constantly hit by projectiles. But his ex teleport is since it has ex armor and can trade, not that but you can also use it as an anti like his d b 3
Rain 1 2 f4 seems safe on block. Lighting is easy escapable compare to nightwolf -_- good for for mix ups through
Best wake up attack under pressure ex Roundhouse or Ex teleport
Rain seems to have bad match ups against Rushdown character ex Johnny cage
Discovery? Found something :D. His Roundhouse cancel to teleport speed up his teleporting and recovery frames. Also by holdin 4 seems like you can do constantly. Anyone can also can test it?

Any has tips to share like i did and everyone here :) ?

Gamin_Guru

Shang Bang
B+2,3 is a very fast, high-low string with great reach and excellent recovery. Use it enough until your opponent blocks low and crush them with overhead (1+2) into 35%+ combo.

Armor on Roundhouse was stopped by a low hitting special. Can anyone elaborate ?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Gamin_Guru said:
B+2,3 is a very fast, high-low string with great reach and excellent recovery. Use it enough until your opponent blocks low and crush them with overhead (1+2) into 35%+ combo.
Again, b+2,1+2 and b+2,3 is not a mix up. The last hit of each string can be fuzzy guarded. Also, b+2,3 is not safe on block. Unfortunately, I only tested with Reptile's elbow dash. b+2 + anything builds no meter anyway.

I would imagine it depends on your distance. 4,3 has more range than 3,3 but without start-up frame knowledge its hard to know. Does anyone know if 4,3 builds more meter than 3,3 ?? I can't test this at the moment...

wolfe

Noob
tho whole argument between 4,3 and the other starters seems kinda moot. 4,3 isnt hit confirmable and isnt safe...you dont use it as a starter. for the pressure with rh cancels...makes my fingers ache!

I'll end the argument, if you want the most out of a regular RH cancel, use 4 just 4, 4 rh dash cancel 4 seems pretty tight on an escape window for you opponent.

wolfe

Noob
I'll end the argument, if you want the most out of a regular RH cancel, use 4 just 4, 4 rh dash cancel 4 seems pretty tight on an escape window for you opponent.
tech the most would be the b+2 starter for reasons already listed. at best yours could be most effective block pressure.

Creepy00

Noob
Let s keep this updated :D
Found a use another use for rain 2,4. If done after juggling, it will pop them up a little higher, and the string is cancelable in any time. But if you add aqua splash after landing 2,4, in a juggle, i will leave your opponent standing and in the other side of the screen.