What's new

Strategy Rain Mixups

Havent seen a thread for this yet so I figured I'd start one off.
Post any good mind games or mixups that you guys know for Rain.

One that I found works well up close is the b2, 3 and b2,1+2 mix. b2,3 does 11% damage and ends in a low, sweep-like move. I've been using it to condition my opponent to block low and then as soon as they do I switch to b2, 1+2 (overhead ground bounce) which opens them up for a possible combo. Both also seem to be safe on block (no one has punished me yet on either one, could just be online though).

Edit:
Don't know how I forgot about these -_-

Roundhouse Kick can be canceled into any other special which makes for a nice guessing game.

The 4,3,b4 string can be canceled into any special after 3 (EXCEPT RHK, it won't combo)
to combo the RHK simply cancel after 4 into RHK to get a combo going.

If you guys know of any others post them here.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
It's not a mixup. It's really easy to fuzzy guard the overhead and the low after you block the :l:bp.

And :l:bp:fp+:bp might be safe, but :l:bp:fk can definitely be punished by fast specials.

One that I found works well up close is the b2, 3 and b2,1+2 mix. b2,3 does 11% damage and ends in a low, sweep-like move. I've been using it to condition my opponent to block low and then as soon as they do I switch to b2, 1+2 (overhead ground bounce) which opens them up for a possible combo. Both also seem to be safe on block (no one has punished me yet on either one, could just be online though).

Edit:

Roundhouse Kick can be canceled into any other special which makes for a nice guessing game.

The 4,3,b4 string can be canceled into any special after 3 (EXCEPT RHK, it won't combo)

man, you have ps3, otherwise i'd show you. Rains mixup is quite TERRIFYING, as a matter of fact, its technically a reset when your foe falls for this. 1 2 forward 4 4 3 Roundhouse, 2 lightning strike, now this is where the reset takes place, it uses a bar. Do the damage buff as they are still falling from the lightning, now EX round house right away, it will hit them RIGHT when they get up, and punish him off the roundhouse. afterall, your armored, and as well you can use your Lightning strike and Aqua ball again. Enjoy ^^ A different variation with more damage could be, 1 2 forward 4, dash 1 2 forward 4, dash 4 3 Aqua ball, 2 Lightning armor buff, enhanced roundhouse, but im not sure never tried it, maybe you should and let me know how it works!

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"

Edit:

All of this is already in the guide thread, a bunch of us are discussing his b2 options currently.

It's not a mixup. It's really easy to fuzzy guard the overhead and the low after you block the :l:bp.

And :l:bp:fp+:bp might be safe, but :l:bp:fk can definitely be punished by fast specials.
That's what I'm relying on though. After a couple b2,3 , if my opponent is able to block both and thinks that once again after the b2 ill throw out the 3 and he crouch blocks, then i just switch it to 1+2 for the overhead starter. Idk, works for me pretty well

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
That's what I'm relying on though. After a couple b2,3 , if my opponent is able to block both and thinks that once again after the b2 ill throw out the 3 and he crouch blocks, then i just switch it to 1+2 for the overhead starter. Idk, works for me pretty well
You're talking about online, I'm guessing? This isn't a mixup. The only way it works is if there's lag about or your opponent has zero reactions.

You're talking about online, I'm guessing? This isn't a mixup. The only way it works is if there's lag about or your opponent has zero reactions.
Yeah, its all I have to go on with no players in my area to play with and the training mode being ass..

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Ah, bummer. Yeah, this is something that's definitely not useless, but it's definitely not great either. It's something to do, and it's good after a bubble reset. But it's just not a 50/50. You don't have to guess against it.

Rains mix up really isnt that good. As stated B2,1+2 can be easily fuzzied EX roundhouse is extremely baitable dont look to use it more than once in high level play. The bubble reset is not as reliable as one would think either due to the fact, throws can be ducked, again B2,1+2 is easily fuzzied, and the fact your opponent can jump, attack or X-ray once they touch the ground. What i tend to do is B1 it seems to be very fast, almost the same speed as smokes sweep(minus the knockdown). Once i get my opponent to block it i do B2,1+2 RH,RH cancel, or Ex RH ect to try and mind fuck my opponent. 2,4 is also good to use in my opinion due to its natural delay. Which can be hit confirmed into lightning or bubble. Without a low starter you really have to rely heavily on your opponent making bad decisions when playing with rain. The only way to win with Rain is to create the ultimate MIND FUCK...which is easier said than done! Without the knowledge of possible frame traps with rain i dont expect to ever see him at high level