What's new

Rain general discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
I like MK11 Rain, he's a cool character with a fun move set.

But I feel like they just made him less cool? Geyser kick has no cancel, he hicks you into a portal which is cool in itself but way less cool then the around the world kick that we see Shang pull out anyhow. Purple Rain is his coolest move but it's not well conceived around his moveset. MK11 Waterball is rad too but not as cool as being able to move your opponent all over the place. The water kung fu is the best.. too much of these Katars man! Evaporate is dope though

STB Bodam

"Game... Blouses."
What are you guys doing for pressure. A friend of mine told me told my pressure it too flow chart, however it’s like outside of b21 stagger or not stagger, which gets low profiled by so many things. And 13/133/134 gimmicks and the F2 in special cancel or F24 what else is there? I also recently started to use 242, tidal wave cause it gives you pretty good spacing but he lacks the range to check certain characters.
While it's kinda risky I like to mix it up and end some of my short block-strings with Hydroplane. You can use it to hit confirm F2~Hydroplane; cancelling it if they're respecting it for the KB or letting it fly when you catch them. It's not something you want to use a lot but I think there's a place for it, assuming you use Hydroplane.

I've also been experimenting with Purple Pain setups. There's something innately tricky about 2-4-2~amp. Purple Pain that messes with folks if they haven't seen it a lot. Obviously super gimmicky but hey... I think it's cool.

The biggest flaw I see with Rain is that the moves he NEEDS are moves you have to choose. Geyser Palm being the biggest one.
This is what I've thought from the beginning. The whole "slot system" is so mistuned for him with Purple Pain feeling so underwhelming since it costs 2 slots and honestly, there's no good reason why Bubble costs 2 slots (not that I'd ever choose it over Katar Toss anyway). It just feels like you're always missing something, or just flat-out replacing one of your solid tools for gimmicky ones. The thing I loved about Rain in MK9 was that he had mind-game potential and could really come off as unique in an experienced player's hands, however, the MK11 version is so limited and like... one note.

I don't know, I was hoping that at least some part of his MK9 kit/tools would remain intact, instead they downgraded every move he has. I understand that an MK9 character can't work in MK11 but c'mon, at least leave the spirit of the character somewhat intact.

Last edited:

just_2swift

MK1 is the best MK period.
Ngl is was pretty bummed out I couldn't have super kick bubble and lighting together for the mk9 feels.

Make super kick a meterless launcher, and if we want to extend with super kick during a super kick started combo allow us to amp it.

It's acting as a meterless launcher for a bar and with this change it will overall help him as a character. Also think of the drip swag combos.

Most you guys already probably know this buuuuuuuuut one way I like to pressure a knocked down opponent is with B1. It'll stuff wake up pokes/buttons/d2's and for the yolo wake up insta jumpers it anti airs for EASY combo conversion. B1 (anti airs) 13 ex geyser palm slight dash 232 1+3 for like just under 25%. In the corner you can do way more damage with hydro boost instead of geyser palm

Wigy

There it is...
Most you guys already probably know this buuuuuuuuut one way I like to pressure a knocked down opponent is with B1. It'll stuff wake up pokes/buttons/d2's and for the yolo wake up insta jumpers it anti airs for EASY combo conversion. B1 (anti airs) 13 ex geyser palm slight dash 232 1+3 for like just under 25%. In the corner you can do way more damage with hydro boost instead of geyser palm
Only issue is you only cover one wakeup timing and leads to nothing on hit grounded. Granted everything you said is true

Only issue is you only cover one wakeup timing and leads to nothing on hit grounded. Granted everything you said is true
very true. What’s another option you guys are using?? I feel like 133 vs a knocked down opponent is risky cuz of all the highs and hit box issues, i feel like I’ll get tagged by the yolo wake up d2’s and delay wake up d2 kB horseshit lol. Maybe I just need to try it more

Also it should be noted how incredible DJT’s rain is. Watching him play is the rain main equivalaent of watching Mozart compose a soon to be famous piece. When his stream is on I dress up in a tux and sip fine wines and sample fancy cheeses and say things like “cheeky devil”

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
How are we punishing nightwolf spirit tracks with this character? The push back is disgusting.
best we can get might be a D3 punish and jail into something. idk if his highs will reach in time with a dash and his mids are too slow (tracks is -12)

just_2swift

best we can get might be a D3 punish and jail into something. idk if his highs will reach in time with a dash and his mids are too slow (tracks is -12)
I tested it. s3 can punish but it feels weird. You can dash cancel into s2 but it's tricky. F3 punishes it as well

Mandolore1123

The matches really aren't all that good but I'd appreciate it if I could get some tips on how to make this character work. Thanks in advance :)

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
The matches really aren't all that good but I'd appreciate it if I could get some tips on how to make this character work. Thanks in advance :)
Honestly, did very well! Here's just some things I noticed in your matches that will make a huge difference.:

Vs Sub Zero
  • If you Block his slide or see him whiff his Fatal Blow, consider spending his F21+3 KB because the opportunity is quite hard to come by. You had the chance many times with a round up.
  • Missed some full combo B21 hit confirms in the corner
  • Vvverryy RIsky going for 242 as a combo ender when the opponent has breakaway, keep it simple with s3 plunge or 133 plunge.
  • If he's not gonna break a Hydroboost combo bnb, spend the 2nd offensive bar and hit him for 39-43% to get him off that defensive bar
  • From fullscreen to Midscreen, try to always have an offensive bar to threaten katar toss amp.
  • This guy mashed d1 a lot on wakeup, Don't forget that b34 is your most active meaty and with Hydro Boost you can option select the special cancel.
  • If you're opponent does not know the flawless block gap off B14 (hold), use that to get out of the corner immediately vs Sub.
  • S4xx geyser or dashing underneath is a great way to deal with jump kicks
  • Consider having a loadout with Rift because the iceball is shut down completely.
Vs Terminator

• Rule of Thumb vs Terminator: Stay away from him. If you see him teleport, use your jump back kick. If it hits, you can convert. If blocked, there's enough spacing for you to back dash and keep your distance. If he delays it, abuse your movement to lower the tracking on the teleport.
  • If Terminator tries to take his turn back after you block a d1, you can back dash, throw, or swing with B21.
  • If Terminator does Running Man stance after F2, and basically any string, You can d2 him immediately.
  • Since you had Edenian Force +Quantum Slice, you have a free escape from the corner and can really annoy the Term player by slowly chipping away at his health and using the pushback to set up whiff punish opportunity.
  • Just like with Sub, if you see the opportunity for F21+3 KB take it, especially with Fatal Blow. You made good reads on running stance tackles and he was wide open for the KB.
  • Lots F2D4 performed here. While this string is really good to use because of the pushback, don't forget to abuse B212 when the opponent has no defensive bar because you'll always be safe, be able to hit confirm, and the pushback of F2D4.
Vs Liu Kang

• If you catch someone airborne with B21, you can convert it into a full combo using Geyser Palm
  • You can use Evaporate on reaction to Liu's Fireballs and really lame him out. You definitely don't need to go in vs Liu if you have the Life lead.
  • Neutral Jump punch/kick beats his teleport clean and gives a full punish. You did this many times but did not convert.
  • There is no oki after Argus Plunge, use this for the corner carry but do not swing on your opponent after.
  • Many times you missed the punish on his flying kick. F21+3 KB is useable to punish his flying kick. If you want to keep the KB, stick to F2 because this covers the large pushback on block of his Flying Kick to make the punish easier.
  • In round winning combos such as the one at 24:10, stick to his guaranteed unbreakable damage by using S3xx argus plunge to cover breakaway and secure the win. Very unfortunate round loss for you here.
  • Since you had Hydroplane in this MU, you can use it to hit confirm your F2, as well as escape pressure from Liu's F43U3 since this move will punish the gap of the string and allow you to ignore his + frames, assuming you're outside of the corner.
  • He wokeup Fatal Blow'd several times in these matches when you had a massive life lead. Highly suggest laming out the Liu player to avoid this situation.
vs Sheeva

• Dash up 133 to punish her Fatal Blow on block.
  • Argus Plunge can be used to avoid Sheeva stomp but if you can dash the moment the screen shifts. Since you had Edenian Force + Slice, you can jump back and zip over the screen and combo down with a punish for a bar.
  • This Sheeva's main source of damage was off of her air grab which she can only combo off of from her overhead starter. Take note what they have as a loadout by blocking high to avoid this.
  • Several b21 hit confirms missed.
  • Always delay wakeup after being hit with her bleed to lower the time the bleed lasts. Try to avoid dashing and jumping until its gone.
  • If they have fatal blow and you have the life lead, the Fatal Blow is their win condition. Stay away, lame them out, let them get impatient and give you the win.

Last edited:

Mandolore1123

Honestly, did very well! Here's just some things I noticed in your matches that will make a huge difference.:

Vs Sub Zero
  • If you Block his slide or see him whiff his Fatal Blow, consider spending his F21+3 KB because the opportunity is quite hard to come by. You had the chance many times with a round up.
  • Missed some full combo B21 hit confirms in the corner
  • Vvverryy RIsky going for 242 as a combo ender when the opponent has breakaway, keep it simple with s3 plunge or 133 plunge.
  • If he's not gonna break a Geyser combo bnb, spend the 2nd offensive bar and hit him for 39-43% to get him off that defensive bar
  • From fullscreen to Midscreen, try to always have an offensive bar to threaten katar toss amp.
  • This guy mashed d1 a lot on wakeup, Don't forget that b34 is your most active meaty and with Hydro Boost you can option select the special cancel.
  • If you're opponent does not know the flawless block gap off B14 (hold), use that to get out of the corner immediately vs Sub.
  • S4xx geyser or dashing underneath is a great way to deal with jump kicks
  • Consider having a loadout with Rift because the iceball is shut down completely.
Vs Terminator

• Rule of Thumb vs Terminator: Stay away from him. If you see him teleport, use your jump back kick. If it hits, you can convert. If blocked, there's enough spacing for you to back dash and keep your distance. If he delays it, abuse your movement to lower the tracking on the teleport.
  • If Terminator tries to take his turn back after you block a d1, you can back dash, throw, or swing with B21.
  • If Terminator does Running Man stance after F2, and basically any string, You can d2 him immediately.
  • Since you had Edenian Force +Quantum Slice, you have a free escape from the corner and can really annoy the Term player by slowly chipping away at his health and using the pushback to set up whiff punish opportunity.
  • Just like with Sub, if you see the opportunity for F21+3 KB take it, especially with Fatal Blow. You made good reads on running stance tackles and he was wide open for the KB.
  • Lots F2D4 performed here. While this string is really good to use because of the pushback, don't forget to abuse B212 when the opponent has no defensive bar because you'll always be safe, be able to hit confirm, and the pushback of F2D4.
Vs Liu Kang

• If you catch someone airborne with B21, you can convert it into a full combo using Geyser Palm
  • You can use Evaporate on reaction to Liu's Fireballs and really lame him out. You definitely don't need to go in vs Liu if you have the Life lead.
  • Neutral Jump punch/kick beats his teleport clean and gives a full punish. You did this many times but did not convert.
  • There is no oki after Argus Plunge, use this for the corner carry but do not swing on your opponent after.
  • Many times you missed the punish on his flying kick. F21+3 KB is useable to punish his flying kick. If you want to keep the KB, stick to F2 because this covers the large pushback on block of his Flying Kick to make the punish easier.
  • In round winning combos such as the one at 24:10, stick to his guaranteed unbreakable damage by using S3xx argus plunge to cover breakaway and secure the win. Very unfortunate round loss for you here.
  • Since you had Hydroplane in this MU, you can use it to hit confirm your F2, as well as escape pressure from Liu's F43U3 since this move will punish the gap of the string and allow you to ignore his + frames, assuming you're outside of the corner.
  • He wokeup Fatal Blow'd several times in these matches when you had a massive life lead. Highly suggest laming out the Liu player to avoid this situation.
vs Sheeva

• Dash up 133 to punish her Fatal Blow on block.
  • Argus Plunge can be used to avoid Sheeva stomp but if you can dash the moment the screen shifts. Since you had Edenian Force + Slice, you can jump back and zip over the screen and combo down with a punish for a bar.
  • This Sheeva's main source of damage was off of her air grab which she can only combo off of from her overhead starter. Take note what they have as a loadout by blocking high to avoid this.
  • Several b21 hit confirms missed.
  • Always delay wakeup after being hit with her bleed to lower the time the bleed lasts. Try to avoid dashing and jumping until its gone.
  • If they have fatal blow and you have the life lead, the Fatal Blow is their win condition. Stay away, lame them out, let them get impatient and give you the win.
Thanks so much for the advice. Probably my number one problem with this character is that I’m not familiar enough with that buttons to use in what scenarios so I’ll have to grind that into my muscle memory. I’ll try to upload more Rain in the future as I do want to get better with him.

thats so nice of that fujin to just let you do that....???

or do you just have godlike timing with the use of it's plus frames??? is purple pain viable now? its such an awesome looking move but 2 slots......

Mandolore1123

thats so nice of that fujin to just let you do that....???

or do you just have godlike timing with the use of it's plus frames??? is purple pain viable now? its such an awesome looking move but 2 slots......
You can kind of machine gun purple pain if they respect it. IIRC the plus frames will cover your startup to get the cloud out but they can still avoid it if you put it at the wrong distance so you have to read what they will do.

just_2swift

You can kind of machine gun purple pain if they respect it. IIRC the plus frames will cover your startup to get the cloud out but they can still avoid it if you put it at the wrong distance so you have to read what they will do.
That's exactly what I did. I knew he would try to jump