What's new

Rain general discussion

HeavyNorse

#BlackLivesMatter
This is more than likely the worst character in the game. Way too early to tell I know, but this is my day 1 prediction. Especially until hydro boost gets fixed.

The fact that 133 whiffs on like everything including FB and 242 is full kombo punishable on block without the ability to cancel into anything is hysterical.
The whiffs are definitely a bug that needs to be hotfixed.

Mandolore1123

Man of Science Who Wields the Living Lightning
I notice that if you do corner combos against females if you do the jump too early you switch sides and kick them out of the corner

Dante

Noob
You can hitconfirm 242
This is more than likely the worst character in the game. Way too early to tell I know, but this is my day 1 prediction. Especially until hydro boost gets fixed.

The fact that 133 whiffs on like everything including FB and 242 is full kombo punishable on block without the ability to cancel into anything is hysterical.
You can hitconfirm 242 at two points (although the first one is hard and not worth it)
Where does 133 whiff?

Dante

Noob
I’m running hydro boost (in hopes that it gets fixed soon), and tidal wave (for safety). Can anyone recommend me a 3rd move for the remaining slot?
Hydro boost, Edenian Force, jet stream (? the db1 insane anti air move that you cant play without :p)

Anyone found anything good with Purple Rain? Seems bad

Agilaz

It has begun
Hydro boost, Edenian Force, jet stream (? the db1 insane anti air move that you cant play without :p)

Anyone found anything good with Purple Rain? Seems bad
133 cancelled into lightning lets you set it up and it can punish rolls if you make the right read. if they don't roll and you get it out and they just block it you're plus, but since rain lacks real mix you're not getting much of a potential reward

methademic

UPR Methademic

Trust me when I say this, its just you.. not the character.

Zviko

Noob
I've been messing around with the lightning and yeah it's not great but it's hella fun when it works. I wish the amp one wouldn't go away if you get hit.

I found a setup but only tried it on Mileena and Scorpion so I don't know if it's universal/females only etc yet. So you do starter into geyser kick amp, B1, 242 DB2amp(between 2nd and 3rd hit of 242). Covers all options on Mileena except forward roll but if you do F4 as soon as you can after the setup it will punish her and push her in lightning for combo. If she does back roll she gets out but still needs to block last hit. I forgot to try delay wake up. And on hit you get B1, 242, BF3 for corner carry. The whole sequence is almost 50%.

Doesn't work the same on Scorp but instead of F4 you use S4 which will do the same thing and it will also punish U3. Moves like his U3 and Mileenas U2(F4 also cover that) get out of it but there's a way to punish it. And because lightning takes so long (3 strikes) whatever you do to cover forward roll/advancing getup attacks, you will still have plus frames in case they block.

Like I mentioned, backroll they can do safely but if you do the long version of lightning it actually punishes them. Short version doesn't punish forward roll, that's why you cover it with F4/S4/or whatever works against certain character. And yeah 113 into lightning has potential too.

I only tried it on these 2 so far. Let me know if I'm missing something stupid which makes this whole post useless.

Mandolore1123

what do you guys use to whiff punish? I find it hard to punish basic stuff like flying kick because of the push back too :(

SparkySanders

Unga bunga dude
I’m running hydro boost (in hopes that it gets fixed soon), and tidal wave (for safety). Can anyone recommend me a 3rd move for the remaining slot?
You can run the boost for corner combos, geyser for midscreen bnb’s while keeping bf3 for the corner carry and armor break. For the safety I like using amp hydroplane. It’s nice it can be cancelled and has a kb.

Mandolore1123

You can run the boost for corner combos, geyser for midscreen bnb’s while keeping bf3 for the corner carry and armor break. For the safety I like using amp hydroplane. It’s nice it can be cancelled and has a kb.
Thanks! I'll look into it. Right now I subbed geyser for Restand for nice corner stuff, but I'm going to look into hydroplane

MuMuGuy

Noob
how would y’all describe Rain’s general play style? I didn’t get to try Ultimate out yet because I was busy all day yesterday.

Mandolore1123

how would y’all describe Rain’s general play style? I didn’t get to try Ultimate out yet because I was busy all day yesterday.
Rush down. Godlike movement and decent buttons. Suffers from stubby arms and hit box issues but super fun IMO

Agilaz

It has begun
Rush down. Godlike movement and decent buttons. Suffers from stubby arms and hit box issues but super fun IMO
Almost everything is either unsafe or at the very least end of his turn. Not a good look for a "rush down" character. Damage isn't spectacular either. He's alright at best but be prepared to work really really really really hard if you want to win

Mandolore1123

Almost everything is either unsafe or at the very least end of his turn. Not a good look for a "rush down" character. Damage isn't spectacular either. He's alright at best but be prepared to work really really really really hard if you want to win
He can make stuff safe with the AMP BF2 toss or other moves like tidal wave, and his movement is godlike for dashing in and out of opponent’s ranges. His damage is pretty meh mid screen but in the corner with Hydro Boost and the restand special I can delete health bars easily. I know his frames aren’t the best but there’s always the threat of FB reversals or a stray Katar toss to keep opponent’s on their toes.

I agree that he needs to work a lot harder to get those wins but I’m not willing to write him off just yet

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
Footsie bait/switch god. His wave dashing, both forward and backward, are easily in the top 2-3 in the game. I'd argue he's #2 in backdash and #1 in forward dash. I know Ninjakilla is an Elder God at wave dashing so he's not the best litmus for the general playerbase, but just look at this shit.

Rain is not a rushdown character. Don't know why people keep saying that. No plus frames on any of his normals. No plus frames on any of his specials except the lightning move. His staggers are bad ranging at an average of minus six. So essentially no pressure game.

Slymind

Noob
I've been watching some Rain gameplay(K&M, Ninjakilla), and really digging his style, he reminds me of Fujin due to his mobility.

Onryoki

We all die alone. So love yourself before you go.
So far from what I’ve seen he seems more of a defensive character.

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
Early thoughts on Rain:

-Short hop u3 is amazing

- F3 is a godlike anti air and neutral advance since it low crushes. You can use it as a combo ender too.

- F4 is super abusable in the corner.

- Learning how to backward wavedash is a must because it lets the pushback off F2D3 be very strong.

- Pokes into AMP Katar Toss is a good mindgame

- B1 is your best stagger and meaty, while B21 is your up close and personal mid.

- B14b(hold) is a free get out of jail card when you're in the corner. (be ready to microduck a grab though).

- His d3 is possibly one of the best in the game with it's activate frames, advantage, and range. It also has no hurtbox.

- Water Bubble is kind of a bill until they come off the breaker since they can break the bubble on hit.

- Hydro Boost is the king of Corner Damage

- Rift is amazing for controlling neutral and it might be a possible must have move.

- Geyser is a godlike anti air and lets you combo off the last hit of jab punisher

- 133 does not get armor broken by bf3 since it will whiff.

- F2 1+3 KB into Fatal Blow is the round closer, so save this KB for the kill.

- Tidal Wave is hilariously abusable in the corner.

- Hydroplane is a super anti neutral

- Purple Pain after 13 in the corner covers all wakeups.