What's new

Raiden Teleport Punishment Guide: The Easiest Way To Stop Sending Me Ragemail

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
And people keep telling me you can "poke" raiden out of both his blockstrings, but I have not ever been able to. I've even tried to spin it with Kung Lao, but thats not possible either... He flashes for a second but still gets hit by Raiden's string. It seemed as though the spin got off, but it never hit him. Havent tried with Kitana's d1, but after using Kung Lao, I dont want to risk letting go of block, thats too dangerous, an easy 40%+ if you fuck up.
Poking out is a very short window and maybe not even possible if you block b+3 too close. Everyone talking about how easy this is are crazy.

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
It's funny to see this thread today. About 2 days ago I played a Raiden on XBL who had a respectable truskill of 32. I think I punished tele with F31hatchet like 8 times (would've only been 6 but stupid lag always makes me drop damn combo) what's funny is everytime I hit him with it he just teleported again immediately just to get hit by it again. LOL. It's sad when someone who plays like this has a truskill of 32

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
I never try to poke Raiden mid string. If he does b312 he almost always does a special at the end either shocker, vicinity blast, or tele. what I do is hold back and block high til right after the 2 then switch to down and back block. if he does the vicinity blast it whiffs and i'll do d4 into a block string or combo. if he does shocker i'll be blocking and punish and if he does tele i punish with
(since i'm already holding back) F31hatchet. the one thing that gets me is if he does eh tele, i swear i never expect it. don't get me wrong if he teleports blocking he's almost impossible to punish but at least this way that's all he can do, anything else and he gets hit. and yes i also use a lot of down pokes. and god do i hate training mode in this game. if you put raiden on wakeup and always blocking to try to punish his tele on wakeup he does a f-ing eh tele every damn time and of course it doesn't use his meter so you can never practice punishing the stupid crap. you just have to get experience from fighting him

It sucks that you guys made it seem like you can just casually counter a good raiden with such basic tactics. I've watched high level raiden play and saw his huge advantage with those teles still. Stop pretending like it's child's play because it's misleading. It seems at even high levels the same string is used over and over just like online and is really hard to counter. A feat even some decent players can't do consistently like sheeva's stupid telestomp

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Im way late on this post but have to comment because im seeing more and more of this online. Ive found that the best matchup is to simply use kano and anticipate the teleport and counter with the upball. The best part is if you anticipate wrong you still get to throw a knife. I know its spammy as hell, but the only way to beat spam is to spam yourself.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
I'm sick of people letting me give it to them in the ass all match for free because they're awful at the game. So here's a one-stop-shop for tools you can use to punish Raiden's teleport, thus making me hate you sooooooo much less:

1) Every character can punish with a throw.
2) Every character except Shang Tsung can punish with an uppercut, so can Smoke and Kenshi, but you need frame perfect timing. I could end this thread right here.
3) Every character except Raiden can punish with :d:bk, but all characters can hit him in the recovery with at least one of their down pokes which will not only stuff his ass but also give you a guaranteed pressure string, therein providing you with momentum. I should end this thread right here.

Now I'll list everything every character has that can snag Raiden in teleport recovery. If someone is blank, that's because I don't have frame data for them.

Baraka:
- All down pokes
- Blade spin
- Slices
- Blade charge

Cyber Sub-Zero:
- All down pokes
- :fk:fk:bp / :fk:bk
- Slide
- Instant air close/far dive kick
- :fp:fp~freeze

Cyrax:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp~net/:bp:fp~net/:fk:fk~net

Ermac:
- All down pokes
- :fk:fp~lift
- :bp~lift
- :fp:bp~lift

Freddy Krueger:
- All down pokes
- :r:bk:bp:fp~combo

Jade:
- All down pokes
- :x

Jax:
- All down pokes
- Dash punch
- Gotcha grab
- :r:bk:fp:fk

Johnny Cage:
- All down pokes
- :bp:fp:r:bp~combo
- :r:fk:fk~nut punch
- Flip kick
- Shadow kick

Kabal:
- All down pokes
- :l:bk
- :r:bk~spin
- :r:fk:bp~spin
- :l:fp:bp:fp~combo

Kano:
- All down pokes
- Up ball
- Straight ball
- Choke
- :bp:fp:bp~combo
- :l:fp:fp:bp~combo

Kenshi:
- All down pokes, but uppercut needs to be frame perfect for punishment.
- Spirit Charge
- Rising Karma (must be frame perfect)
- :bp:fp:l:bp~combo
- :r:bp:bp:l:fp~combo

Kitana:
- All down pokes
- :bp:fp~:en fan combos/:bp:fp~cutter into safe jump.

Kung Lao:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp:bp~spin
- :bp:fp:bp:fp~spin
- :l:fk:fk~spin
- :x

Liu Kang:
- All down pokes
- :l:fk:fp:bp~combo
- :bp:fp:fk~combo

Mileena:
- All down pokes
- Roll~combo

Nightwolf:
- All down pokes
- Shoulder
- :r:fk:fp~combo
- :fp:bp:bp~combo

Noob:
- All down pokes
- Shadow tackle
- :bp:fp:bp~teleslam/fireball/:x
- Shadow Upkick is not an actual punish here, but if you use it like one the threat will keep them grounded, and depending on timing, it'll smack them out of superman too.

Quan-Chi:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp:bp~trance~combo

Raiden:
- All down pokes except :d:bk
- Superman
- :r:bp:bk~superman
- :fp:bp:fp~combo
- :fk:fk:bk~combo

Rain:
- All down pokes, uppercut requires frame perfect timing.
- :fp:bp:r:bk~combo
- :fk:fk~bubble/lightning~combo
- :bk:fk~bubble/lightning~combo

Reptile:
- All down pokes
- Elbow dash
- Slide
- :fk:bp~combo
- :fp:bp:bp~combo
- :x (must be frame perfect)

Scorpion:
- All down pokes
- :fp:fp~spear
- :fk:fk~spear
- :bp:fp~spear

Sektor:
- All down pokes
- Flamethrower works the same way here as Noob's upkick
- :fp:bp:l:fp~combo
- :l:fk:bk~TU~combo
- :l:bp~TU~combo

Shang Tsung:
- All down pokes except uppercut
- :bp:bp:fp~combo
- :r:bk:fk:bk~combo

Sheeva:
- All down pokes
- :fp:bp:l:fp, dash :bk~grab'n'punch
- :bp:fp:bp:r:fp~grab'n'punch

Sindel:
- All down pokes
- Sweep
- :bk:bk, :fp~scream (frame perfect timing needed)

Skarlet:
- All down pokes
- 212~dagger cancel~combo

Smoke:
- All down pokes, uppercut requires frame perfect timing.
- :bp:fp~smoke bomb

Sonya:
- All down pokes
- Instant air divekick~combo (note that this is far and away the BEST teleport punisher in the entire game)
- :fp:fp:bk~MS~:l:bp~combo
- :bp:fp~cartwheel~combo

Stryker:
- All down pokes
- Knows Skarlet and Quan's pains

Sub-Zero:
- All down pokes, especially :d:bk
- Srsly, :d:bk makes Raiden cry. Do it moar.
- Slide
- :bp:bp~freeze

So basically the thing to remember here is that getting a full combo punish on Raiden's teleport will require anticipation. Certain things have a little bit more of a lenient punishment window like :bp:bp~freeze, :bp:fp~smoke bomb and everything Kung Lao does, though. Fair enough, if it was easy to punish teleport for full combo Raiden would be the worst character in any fighting game ever.

Even if you won't be able to get a full combo off on it, if you can't :d:bk the shit out of a teleport that puts Raiden at -14 at reappearance, stop playing.

You might notice that I have stressed DOWN POKES in this guide. Like... repeatedly. Had to have mentioned them around 30+ times. There's a reason for that. Footsies/poking/patience/getting a life lead and running away like your wang is on fire is how you don't lose to Raiden. Play it like it's Street Fighter, basically. You end up taking the teleport away from him and then he's just some asshole in a stupid hat with bad normals.

AND NOW I CAN GET SOME SLEEP. Thunder take you. :china:
I wonder how many of those are guaranteed punishers, i.e. ones that Raiden cannot avoid? Looking at the list, he can block after he teleports and a lot of the punishers will miss and then he can counterattack. For example, you can teleport and hold block and Uppercut is not guaranteed and neither is 2,2,Ice Ball with Sub-Zero (for example). Sorry if this has been mentioned already, I didn't read the whole thread.