What's new

General/Other - Raiden Raiden Patch Notes Discussion

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Now that that's out of the way, here's to Displacer getting a buff to it's reason for existing when the real patch rolls around.

MadeOfMetal

Kenshi Srubtastic,Cyrax, Special Forces Mains
What exactly about Displacer needs buffing?
it got quite the opposite..... i think... i know for sure his master of storms and thunder god got nerfed.

ESG magick's combo mid screen changed from 36%-33%

Last edited:

MadeOfMetal

honestly i feel his Thunder god is his strongest variation... and displacer/master of storms fall short.... don't get me wrong.... i think they all have very good kits, for setups and trickery.. but the frame advantage on TG is probably the best variation competitively.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Meterless teleport is hot garbage.
Considering you can spend a bar of stamina to choose where you reappear on the screen, or fake it out to potentially force a reaction from the opponent?

I respectfully disagree.

If it's getting out of pressure you're worried about, the teleport will need super meter. Or you can use EX Shocker, EX Flying Thunder, or backdash depending on how the opponent is pressuring you.

skrone

cold blooded
I think it would be best if the balance was just left alone for a while. We JUST got a patch, one that came too early IMO. Lets see what people come up with before we talk about buffing (or nerfing) anything.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Considering you can spend a bar of stamina to choose where you reappear on the screen, or fake it out to potentially force a reaction from the opponent?

I respectfully disagree.

If it's getting out of pressure you're worried about, the teleport will need super meter. Or you can use EX Shocker, EX Flying Thunder, or backdash depending on how the opponent is pressuring you.
I don't care where I can reappear on screen. Being -29 is being -29. I'm sorry but whoever put that variant together was on a steady diet of milktoast and weaksauce.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Pretty sure it's still punishable by most of the cast even if you do far teleport.

Existence of those moves is exactly why EX-tele is worthless as a reversal. There's almost no reason to use it over something else.

Nice performance at yomi btw. I still couldn't get rid of impression that you play variationless Raiden. Picking TG or even MoS would've extended your option chart so much.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
I don't care where I can reappear on screen. Being -29 is being -29. I'm sorry but whoever put that variant together was on a steady diet of milktoast and weaksauce.
If you don't see how mixing up your teleport locations can make a difference in the movement game, I'm not quite sure what to say. But as you probably know something I don't, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Pretty sure it's still punishable by most of the cast even if you do far teleport.

Existence of those moves is exactly why EX-tele is worthless as a reversal. There's almost no reason to use it over something else.

Nice performance at yomi btw. I still couldn't get rid of impression that you play variationless Raiden. Picking TG or even MoS would've extended your option chart so much.
No, EX-teleport is not worthless as a reversal. If the opponent suspects that you'll interrupt his offense with either EX Shocker or EX Flying Thunder, he can stop his pressure and block. If you in turn suspect this, you can opt to teleport yourself out of there instead of risking a punish. If the teleport is meter-burned, you recover much faster than you would had you done a normal teleport, and you skip the need to relinquish stamina to choose where you reappear.

Alternatively, you can backdash if you have the stamina.

What I feel most players do not realize is that teleports are a pretty powerful tool in fighting games. If you could recover fairly fast from any of them, be it on block or whiff, it would be incredibly difficult to contain you. It's hard to balance such moves so that they aren't OD.

Trust me, Displacer has benefits that Thunder God and Master of Storms do not. It may diminish your offensive options, but if you're like me and you hate being trapped in the corner, it's the way to go.

And thanks about my matches at Yomi, but there are quite a few of them I'm not proud of remembering. I hope to redeem myself somewhat at Combo Breaker this weekend, but considering my limited time on the game...doubtful.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
If you don't see how mixing up your teleport l can make a difference in the movement game, I'm not quite sure what to say. But as you probably know something I don't, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.
Being -30 anywhere on screen should guarantee you'll be eating a block string at the least... You have footage of this not happening to you? I don't even have a memory of it not happening to me.

No, EX-teleport is not worthless as a reversal. If the opponent suspects that you'll interrupt his offense with either EX Shocker or EX Flying Thunder, he can stop his pressure and block. If you in turn suspect this, you can opt to teleport yourself out of there instead of risking a punish.
So your advice for using MB Teleport to escape pressure is to use it when you read that your opponent will stop pressuring you and block? ...What? If I read that my opponent is just going to stop pressing me and just block, I'm going to throw or go for b2/b33 like a sane person rather than MB my teleport. That'll just be spending a bar to be at -7 against an opponent who just decided to relinquish momentum.

If the teleport is meter-burned, you recover much faster than you would had you done a normal teleport, and you skip the need to relinquish stamina to choose where you reappear.
Yeah, instead you're spending a bar of real meter to MAYBE have a chance to burn a second bar on a combo...

Alternatively, you can backdash if you have the stamina.
Should have some given you won't ever get a breaker if you're having any sort of success with MB teleport.

What I feel most players do not realize is that teleports are a pretty powerful tool in fighting games. If you could recover fairly fast from any of them, be it on block or whiff, it would be incredibly difficult to contain you. It's hard to balance such moves so that they aren't OD.
No I realize this, it's just that Raiden's is not one of those teleports. And yeah, a character based around teleporting should be difficult to contain. Don't know why on Earth that came up like a warning or something.

Good luck at Combo Breaker. Will be watching. Hope you prove me wrong but I think the odds are in my favor.

MadeOfMetal

i personally think that meterless tele is awesome. think about it. if you are using raidens vast aray of mixups/pressure/ and mind games, and then ocasionally throw in a tele far or even behind, i dont think most players will read you.

but if you like to constantly do the same one over and over i would agree with you.

but i respectfully disagree

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
i personally think that meterless tele is awesome. think about it. if you are using raidens vast aray of mixups/pressure/ and mind games, and then ocasionally throw in a tele far or even behind, i dont think most players will read you.

but if you like to constantly do the same one over and over i would agree with you.

but i respectfully disagree
The thing about Raiden's mixup game is that what he can do for effect depends on range. After that suitable options aren't very numerous.
Second concern is that even if opponent doesn't react immediately, you don't gain much from it as I see it. The problem is that people on scene already react to things that are way faster and done in similar situations (when number of possible options is considerable).

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah, if you use your teleport so sparingly your opponent basically forgets you have it you probably aren't going to be punished for it too often.

But the recovery is still so bad you can barely get a block string for warping on a fireball sometimes. Up-play that.

SirRaven

Teleport tickle fail
It works great against the scrub Jacqui spammers.

IMO, regular teleport is all about placement. The recovery on a regular DU teleport leaves you wide open to punishment unless your opponent was mid string. I've found it pretty good against characters that have slow string startups. If you see that string coming, you can TP out of it and punish them. Most players are smart enough, though, to not use slow start up strings though.