What's new

Match Footage Raiden Match Videos

B W1zZ

Noob
My fellow disciples, I should have more match videos coming soon from the last tournament I attended (going to wait for the youtube links) stay tuned.

B W1zZ

Noob
EDIT: Videos are currently private. Sorry guys.

This is footage of me playing Raiden in the most recent tournament here in Arizona. I found all of the videos except for the very first match I played. Granted I did make mistakes in some situations and could have done better in the sonya matchup (Morty has come a long way), I think I made a pretty good showing. Videos are in order and the bracket from this tournament can be found here:

http://challonge.com/manawerxmk9tournamentweek_6

B W1zZ Vs. JediRobb

MortySeinfeld Vs. B W1zZ

Sao Vs. B W1zZ

B W1zZ Vs. DetroitBallin

B W1zZ Vs. Dr Dogg (Losers Finals)

B W1zZ Vs. MortySeinfeld (Grand Finals)

Code:

Uh, not to go off topic, but the commentary on the BW1zz vs Morty Vid (2cnd vid down) was distracting, uncomfortable and hilarious.

Awesome matches, and I really appreciate you putting them up. For all the bitching that goes on about Raiden, he's really underrepresented in high-level play, so I'm grateful for any chance to see it. You played very well and beat some good opponents, and Morty is just a great player so no shame in losing to him.

Not sure if you want input on your play (and frankly I'm not sure I'm in any position to give it to you), but if I were to make one suggestion, it would be to calm down and slow down sometimes. Your offense is so heavy that several times I noticed that your opponent started to get used to your offensive pattern, and it was obvious that they were reading what you were going to do next. I started reading it just sitting at home watching. Especially in the Sonya and Shang matchups, this is what cost you. Instead, vary your pace between rushdown offense and more patient, spacing-oriented, hit-and-run tactics. Raiden's pressure is good, but his rushdown is only decent. What makes him maybe the best character in the game are his options, mobility, and priority. He's so stupidly mobile that it's almost impossible to force him to stay put, so you don't have to be very afraid of that, while your opponent ALWAYS has to be worried since you can land a hit almost any time you want to from anywhere on screen if your timing is good.

That said, again, kudos on some awesome fights. And I'll echo the post above me in saying that the commentating was pretty painful.

yeah, i also felt out of place giving you any pointers either, but i noticed that youd fall into routine, expecting your opponent to block, so youd go with a d+3 or d+4 even though you just connected with combo starter. In addition, i noticed you might have been going for the VB throw trap, which i find really hard to pull off against sonya and kitana.

B W1zZ

Noob
Awesome matches, and I really appreciate you putting them up. For all the bitching that goes on about Raiden, he's really underrepresented in high-level play, so I'm grateful for any chance to see it. You played very well and beat some good opponents, and Morty is just a great player so no shame in losing to him.

Not sure if you want input on your play (and frankly I'm not sure I'm in any position to give it to you), but if I were to make one suggestion, it would be to calm down and slow down sometimes. Your offense is so heavy that several times I noticed that your opponent started to get used to your offensive pattern, and it was obvious that they were reading what you were going to do next. I started reading it just sitting at home watching. Especially in the Sonya and Shang matchups, this is what cost you. Instead, vary your pace between rushdown offense and more patient, spacing-oriented, hit-and-run tactics. Raiden's pressure is good, but his rushdown is only decent. What makes him maybe the best character in the game are his options, mobility, and priority. He's so stupidly mobile that it's almost impossible to force him to stay put, so you don't have to be very afraid of that, while your opponent ALWAYS has to be worried since you can land a hit almost any time you want to from anywhere on screen if your timing is good.

That said, again, kudos on some awesome fights. And I'll echo the post above me in saying that the commentating was pretty painful.
I don't mind any input, but it's easy to put some things on paper and look at matches in hindsight...completely different in an actual tournament match where the pressure is on.

Yeah the thing is there are several different "playstyles" or ways you can play Raiden...it's all about using the right style in the right situation. And I've pretty much been working on exactly what your talking about; going from the heavy offensive style into a more defensive dashblocking style and using his F24 string defensively.

I've been playing against Morty for a long time and he knows my Raiden pretty well...which is why the matchup is so difficult since wakeup teleports and just telports in general can be risky since all sonya has to do is dive kick and go into a full combo. It can be incredibly difficult to get in on a high level sonya player that has a very solid defensive game and fast pokes. I'd say Sonya is probably one of if not the hardest match up for Raiden, but far from unbeatable.

Also I did drop the B312 string a few times and opted for pokes instead since I thought the string would be blocked. B312 can be hit confirmed into each hit in the string, but it takes practice and doing the combo slowly. The whole purpose of using the B3 into mixups or B31 into mixups etc is to open them up for punishment by a full B312 or 334 combo. Also D4 gives advantage on hit and puts Raiden at a pretty big advantage when cancelled into teleport...also good for lowering his hitbox and anti air in some situations.

I'm glad you guys enjoyed the videos...unfortunately nothing I can do about the commentary lol

The only mind blowing thing you did wrong (B W1ZZ), is you can't jip Sonya or kitana for that matter. just take the jik into superman until they are accustomed to blocking jump in attempts.

You're right hindsight tips are useless "LOL STOP DROPPING COMBOS BRO" isn't very useful. What I'm giving you is match up knowledge.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Yeah, having those videos be viewable again would be pretty awesome. There just aren't enough videos of high level Raiden play.

B W1zZ

Noob
You have a nice Raiden P2W, I think you could benefit from using dashblock more to zone your opponents.

On another note the tournament streamer has decided to keep the footage from the tournament I posted private for the moment, and there's nothing I can do about it. Sorry guys.

asdfasdfa

You have a nice Raiden P2W, I think you could benefit from using dashblock more to zone your opponents.

On another note the tournament streamer has decided to keep the footage from the tournament I posted private for the moment, and there's nothing I can do about it. Sorry guys.
its funny you say that. i rarely play this game even though i love it. i refuse to play online because it doesn't make you a better player. i will start dash blocking more lol

..and why someone would keep footage private is stupid.

B W1zZ

Noob
its funny you say that. i rarely play this game even though i love it. i refuse to play online because it doesn't make you a better player. i will start dash blocking more lol

..and why someone would keep footage private is stupid.
I don't agree with it myself, but some people here don't want to be studied for tournament reasons...although I could care less.

And yeah playing offline is the best decision, since when you play online a lot you tend to develop bad habits and auto-pilot tendencies that end up hurting your game more than anything. Online is okay for matchup experience and just playing for fun though.

SGX

Noob
Grand finals from a Charlotte NC tourney on 8/27

Loser's finals from a Charlotte NC tourney on 9/17

Grand Finals

^ Some recent tourney videos of me. I've been placing well, but I feel like I still have a long way to go. By the time Grand Finals with that KL rolled around last night, the tourney nerves and lack of sleep were getting to me, so I really blew that one. (Kept repeatedly jumping after blocking 2,4 lowhat)