What's new

General/Other - Raiden Raiden General Discussion

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
You've downplayed Raiden so hard and told me to be a realist even after I've been doing a decent job of uploading winning sets against big names, tech, and combos to my YT page: http://www.youtube.com/user/lilmajin .

Hell, I've even managed to do well in recent tournaments with Raiden and have beaten notable players from INC, YOMI, and C88 using the same neutral tools that you claimed were "bad" and "trash."

Albeit I agree to disagree. If Raiden gets buffed, then cool. If he gets nothing, then that's cool too.
Love your Raiden. Going to sub when I get the chance. I love the character I just suck with him. I want to play displacer but can't find a decent guide / combo guide any where. People who use Raiden in tournaments don't use the combos ever in the combo thread

Lil Majin

Raiden Enthusiast
Love your Raiden. Going to sub when I get the chance. I love the character I just suck with him. I want to play displacer but can't find a decent guide / combo guide any where. People who use Raiden in tournaments don't use the combos ever in the combo thread
Thanks. In one video or a couple, you'll find everything that you need to know about Displacer on my YT channel.

Lil Majin

Raiden Enthusiast
The only buff Raiden needs is to his d1, it constantly gets low profiled.
Yeah, he needs a couple of hotfixes:

- d1 can no longer be low profiled
- b1 can no longer be low profiled
- f4 can no longer be hit by lows once airborne
- NJP, add a hitbox directly underneath Raiden so that advancing attacks no longer go under it on his way down
- Give jumping 2 the same cross up timing as jumping 1 (you have to wait a millennia before ji2 crosses up)

As far as true buffs, the only thing that I really think he needs besides a complete overhaul of MOS, is making mb teleports easier to do.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X

- NJP, add a hitbox directly underneath Raiden so that advancing attacks no longer go under it on his way down
- Give jumping 2 the same cross up timing as jumping 1 (you have to wait a millennia before ji2 crosses up)

As far as true buffs, the only thing that I really think he needs besides a complete overhaul of MOS, is making mb teleports easier to do.
This is very odd topic, but when is CEO? Time/Date?
When if I can, see you play in it?
I believe you said you were attending

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky

Never had issues with D1 low profiling myself, but that's just me. B1 is quite a good mid at point blank, I don't think it needs any hotfix changes anymore. If you're not point blank you can expect it to be low profiled on occasion, I don't think mids are to be seen as a barrier that no part of the opponen's body can pass through without getting hit.

MoS definitely needs buffing. EX-teleport being easier to do HAS to be a thing. It's nearly impossible to properly wake up with it.

Lil Majin

Raiden Enthusiast
@D7X Yes, I'll be at CEO. It's this Saturday, June 25th. My pool starts at 12PM, and it's FULL of killers. I have HoneyBee, WoundCowboy, and EVB_Conflict in my pool and 21 others. I've definitely got my work cut out for me.

@DDutchguy I can agree with b1, but at point blank, it can still be low profiled. That never should happen up close but it does. Mileena can roll under it and d1, Kotal's d4 low profiles both and so does Liu's d3.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
@D7X Yes, I'll be at CEO. It's this Saturday, June 25th. My pool starts at 12PM, and it's FULL of killers. I have HoneyBee, WoundCowboy, and EVB_Conflict in my pool and 21 others. I've definitely got my work cut out for me.

@DDutchguy I can agree with b1, but at point blank, it can still be low profiled. That never should happen up close but it does. Mileena can roll under it and d1, Kotal's d4 low profiles both and so does Liu's d3.
Thanks man!
I'm rooting for you mainly because you're a Raiden player! Love to see people not use top 5 characters 24/7

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X

Eastern or Central time?

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Tips on LRCs? Hardest string? Easiest string? Visual cues? How long did it take you? etc.
I need a 3rd main, and Raiden is fun. Hopefully my ADHD won't kick in and make me quit :(

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Actually now I want to know a good way of doing F2 LRC 214.
So hard lol.
If it's even worth learning though

Last edited:

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
You sure you don't mean F24? In that case, it's just a really hard cancel. No easy way of doing it.
Should I learn it without a combo starter? F2 you can cancel into 214 too.
What are the cancels I should learn?
Thanks for the feedback by the way! Glad some Day 1 Raidens are helping. Love the Raiden community :)

DDutchguy

Should I learn it without a combo starter? F2 you can cancel into 214 too.
What are the cancels I should learn?
Thanks for the feedback by the way! Glad some Day 1 Raidens are helping. Love the Raiden community :)
Just tried the F2 cancel, never knew it actually combo'ed. F24 is easier to hit confirm although F2 seems a bit easier to do. I generally don't use F2 much in Thunder God, but you could definitely learn the cancel for whiff punishing.

However, canceling into 213 or 214 is very hard to do on nearly every strong. As such I think it's better to first cancel into F12B2 and confirm that into B14~Superman. It's a much easier cancel to perform and will serve as a substitute for the 213/214 cancel until you've really mastered that one (I can't do it consistently online yet).

As for important cancels, F12B2, B12~LRC, 214~Superman is a very important one to learn, because it serves as your 6-frame punisher. Another important one is B11 into a full combo, because B1 is an incredibly good 8-frame mid. It forces your opponent to not disrespect their minus frames (I'm talking doing a, say, -3 string into a poke) and gives you a full combo or pressure.

KHAOTIC_UNCLE-_-CREEPY

The CreepFather
Wow I thought meter burning the teleport on wake up was just a me thing didn't think other Raiden players had that issue. It's pretty annoying knowing that it's basically a free get out of whatever situation you're in card and it would've just worked for said situation just for a raw teleport to come out leaving you to get destroyed.

DDutchguy

Wow I thought meter burning the teleport on wake up was just a me thing didn't think other Raiden players had that issue. It's pretty annoying knowing that it's basically a free get out of whatever situation you're in card and it would've just worked for said situation just for a raw teleport to come out leaving you to get destroyed.
I'm very certain every Displacer player has the issue. For some reason the window to wake up with it is really tight and as such makes one of Displacer's most powerful tools useless in an actual match.

D7X

EMPEROR | D7X
Just tried the F2 cancel, never knew it actually combo'ed. F24 is easier to hit confirm although F2 seems a bit easier to do. I generally don't use F2 much in Thunder God, but you could definitely learn the cancel for whiff punishing.

However, canceling into 213 or 214 is very hard to do on nearly every strong. As such I think it's better to first cancel into F12B2 and confirm that into B14~Superman. It's a much easier cancel to perform and will serve as a substitute for the 213/214 cancel until you've really mastered that one (I can't do it consistently online yet).

As for important cancels, F12B2, B12~LRC, 214~Superman is a very important one to learn, because it serves as your 6-frame punisher. Another important one is B11 into a full combo, because B1 is an incredibly good 8-frame mid. It forces your opponent to not disrespect their minus frames (I'm talking doing a, say, -3 string into a poke) and gives you a full combo or pressure.
Thank you my friend. Assuming you meant B14 not B12 though.

Shawnzzy

Scrub Extraordinaire
Hey everyone, do you all have any tips for the Tarkatan Alien match up? I feel the acidic can be dealt with by Displacer or TG with the right neutral and a strong defense. I played a strong Tarkatan and got destroyed....
I couldn't do it as Displacer, but I'm not the strongest Displacer so I had more success with Thunder God, which isn't saying much.

Things that I had problems with.

I could armor out of the rekkas with the OS, but only when they went for the third mix up. If I armored any other gap when they had meter they would do armor flip.
While I get I shouldn't armor when they have meter at those points, I was locked down pretty hard. d1 seems like it could get me a poke and let me cross up or make some space, but it wouldn't always come out when I felt it should. (This was online so I'm sure there is a layer of difficulty added to this, but I don't know an offline Tarkatan.)

My game plan was to play footsies with my lightning strings and lightning ball to bait a poorly spaced crawl. If I could confirm a lightning string I would superman to corner and hope I could open him up.
I also tried to use mbdb1 lightning traps which helped keep some pressure off me as long as I timed it right.

This match up seemed really hard for Raiden because of how short many of his quick normals are. Any tips? Videos of Raidens dealing with the xeno?

DDutchguy

This is my first online match with Raiden (Thunder God). Been playing him since last night so I did shitty.
Tips? @DDutchguy @Lil Majin
Just saw the match, I was pleasantly surprised with how you played. Most issues I saw were because it was your first match and as such haven't really been able to figure out Raiden's game plan in practice. Couple of things:

- You're doing far too many supermans (BF3) for your own good. It should only be used as a combo ender or as a way to blow through projectiles. You used it as a raw wakeup at one point and often used it to swiftly end combos you could've gotten 20-25% more damage off of. Again, that is due to you not having played Raiden for very long.

-You were a bit impatient when you got pressured vs Lao. I have the exact same issue so I know what it's like. You always have to wait for the specific point where you can poke out or at least deal with his offense. Several times you got tagged by his EX-divekick or some of his other moves.

- Your midscreen B2s are incredibly ballsy. No one will expect it to happen so that's a good thing, but don't underestimate how unsafe it is.

Overall you did quite alright however. Sure you lost the match, but that was due to the Lao pressure you got stuck in. Work on your patience versus Lao and your general Raiden knowledge. Besides that, you look solid.