What's new

Raiden frame traps?

Liu_Kang

Noob
I main Raiden, and I already do most part of raiden possible combos. (37%; 27%, etc), but i want to improve my gameplay with him.

I just saw Justin Wong play as Raiden, and i realize that the gamestyle he uses (d3 f24) .... This is a frame trap, right? f2 is very fast...

A question to experience Raiden players:

Does Raiden has more frame traps?

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
Well... :d:fk -> :r:bp:bk isn't really a frame trap. You can get out of it by jumping away.

On hit, :d:bk guarantees you uninterruptible :r:bp:bk, :fk:fk:bk or :l:fk:fp:bp. It doesn't combo, but they do have to block it. And after :r:bp:bk is blocked, you're at +1 so your opponent has to block a superman after it.

That's what I got off the top of my head.

Raiman

Noob
1212 teleport has advantage, f24 cant be interupted, and i'm pretty sure d4 teleport grants a free throw attempt. d4 frees up his overhead. sweep is safe. so d4 sweep and d4 overhead all day. not sure how much advantage is on vb now but i think its still a lot, and now ex teleport cant be punished and can cancel into strings, so free chip damage at least off that

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
1212 teleport has advantage, f24 cant be interupted, and i'm pretty sure d4 teleport grants a free throw attempt. d4 frees up his overhead. sweep is safe. so d4 sweep and d4 overhead all day. not sure how much advantage is on vb now but i think its still a lot, and now ex teleport cant be punished and can cancel into strings, so free chip damage at least off that
Yea, I'd like to know how many frames VB is on block post-patch? Anybody know that yet? It sounds like it's still a frametrap.

Liu_Kang

Noob
Raiman, if is not much to ask, can you do a video showing all these traps you said?

Raiman

Noob
Raiman, if is not much to ask, can you do a video showing all these traps you said?
dont really wanna make a video but heres my proof.

1. 1212 teleport f24, d4 freeing up overhead and sweep being safe are all in the living guide.
2. the ex teleport info has been stated in patch notes. it is uninteruptable and strings can be input DURING the teleport, when you do that theres no recovery afterwords.
3. the d4 teleport throw might not be true i just think it is because they are in so much stagger. its never failed me yet.

NOTE** 1212 teleport f24 and d4 teleport throw might not even be true now with the new patch, i havent had anyone to practice with offline to test them but they all seem to still work online for whatever thats worth. hope that helps.

Liu_Kang

Noob
dont really wanna make a video but heres my proof.

1. 1212 teleport f24, d4 freeing up overhead and sweep being safe are all in the living guide thats how i know that.
2. the ex teleport info has been stated in patch notes.
3. the d4 teleport throw might not be true i just think it is because they are in so mucch stagger. its never failed me yet

NOTE** 1212 teleport f24 and d4teleport throw might not even be true now with the new patch, ill have to look into it.
hope that helps.
Ok, this one is d4 ... and then overhead (f4), rigtht?

Thank you very much!

Yea, I'd like to know how many frames VB is on block post-patch? Anybody know that yet? It sounds like it's still a frametrap.
For the VB if they get hit by it it is still the same. Now when they block it, for me it felt either neutral or negative, trust me it is pretty bad IMO. they can just jump easily now.

Also his teleport feels more predicted and slower, making it impossible to combo Down 4 into shocker after the 334 teleport string. Back 31 into shocker also has a more tighter timing to combo after a 334 teleport string.

Raiman

Noob
Ok, this one is d4 ... and then overhead (f4), rigtht?

Thank you very much!
yeah overhead is safe too, so just mixup d4 f4 or d4 b4.

For the VB if they get hit by it it is still the same. Now when they block it, for me it felt either neutral or negative, trust me it is pretty bad IMO. they can just jump easily now.
They can jump away on start up of Ex tele.
wow so raiden lost a huge gameplay strategy with vb and the new ex teleport isnt even that good if they can jump out of it. what a load of crap. not to mention his 40% combo is way harder now. welcome to A tier raiden say good by to S tier.

Ruuku1012

Real Talker
wow so raiden lost a huge gameplay strategy with vb and the new ex teleport isnt even that good if they can jump out of it. what a load of crap. not to mention his 40% combo is way harder now. welcome to A tier raiden say good by to S tier.
Which 40% combo are you talking about?

I'll say again: 334~teleport, f2~VB... is EASY. As in REALLY easy. Much easier even after the patch than many other characters' BnBs.

And no, you can't just jump out of ex tele on reaction. It's too fast for that. The only way that would be possible is if your opponent is standing and doing nothing, and prepared to jump as soon as they see Raiden move at all.

Too much doom-crying, not enough testing.

Raiman

Noob
first of i do 334 teleport 1 shocker for 41% damage, ive never done f2. and i now do it about 3 or maybe 4 times out of ten where as before i did it about 8 or 9. you must just be a boss because bwizz even said that the timing is way more strict now, witch it is. its like me trying to get reptiles njp combo consistently all over again

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
first of i do 334 teleport 1 vb for 41% damage, ive never done f2. and i now do it about 3 or maybe 4 times out of ten where as before i did it about 8 or 9. you must just be a boss because bwizz even said that the timing is way more strict now, witch it is. its like me trying to get reptiles njp combo consistently all over again
F2 after tele actually scales poorly so it is indeed better to use 1 as a link. Also tele 1 vb? Are you referring to 334, Tele, 1, Shocker, F2VB (B3 adds one percent) Superman?

first of i do 334 teleport 1 vb for 41% damage, ive never done f2. and i now do it about 3 or maybe 4 times out of ten where as before i did it about 8 or 9. you must just be a boss because bwizz even said that the timing is way more strict now, witch it is. its like me trying to get reptiles njp combo consistently all over again
As I said in the other topic, I'm no execution wizard. I can't get Reptile's njp combos more than about half the time even when I'm practicing him regularly. But this isn't that level of difficulty. At least, the f2~shocker version isn't. I've never tried 1~vb like you're talking about, though. Here's my 334 bnb:

334~teleport, f2~shocker, f2~vicinity blast, b3~superman for 37% (40% with jip, obviously).

And although I do have to pause for slightly longer than I used to after teleporting, it's a tiny adjustment that is really inconsequential. Maybe the f2 version is just easier? I dunno.

Raiman

Noob
F2 after tele actually scales poorly so it is indeed better to use 1 as a link. Also tele 1 vb? Are you referring to 334, Tele, 1, Shocker, F2VB (B3 adds one percent) Superman?
i messed up, i dont do 1 vb i do 1 shocker. so its jip 334 tele 1 shcoker 334 superman. 41%. dash f2 after the second 334 for 42% but its a little tricky

Raiman

Noob
Seems very inconsistent for 1 percent more.
i used to nail it every time, untill now. i usually dont even do 334 at all now, i cant get high damage off it anymore wich was the only point to that string. its not fast and the hitbox off the first 3 is terrible. also i dont see why people think f2 is so fast, its 10 frames. 1 is 9 frames. 121 is raidens fastst string so why use f2 after teleport intead of 1. it is less damage and more frames.

i used to nail it every time, untill now. i usually dont even do 334 at all now, i cant get high damage off it anymore wich was the only point to that string. its not fast and the hitbox off the first 3 is terrible. also i dont see why people think f2 is so fast, its 10 frames. 1 is 9 frames. 121 is raidens fastst string so why use f2 after teleport intead of 1. it is less damage and more frames.
It sounds like you're not questioning whether f2~shocker still works or not, but upset about the fact that 1~shocker is more difficult. Of course 334 isn't Raiden's best option. It's only ever been at most 2-3% more damage than his b312 combos (except in the corner). It's for punish and those times where you're pretty sure it will hit and need the extra damage.

Also, the reason f2 works better has nothing to do with speed, and everything to do with hitbox. It's a lunging gut punch that's angled downward, which is obviously much more likely to catch a falling target (even at 1 more frame) than a standing jab at face-level.

Raiman

Noob
It sounds like you're not questioning whether f2~shocker still works or not, but upset about the fact that 1~shocker is more difficult. Of course 334 isn't Raiden's best option. It's only ever been at most 2-3% more damage than his b312 combos (except in the corner). It's for punish and those times where you're pretty sure it will hit and need the extra damage.

Also, the reason f2 works better has nothing to do with speed, and everything to do with hitbox. It's a lunging gut punch that's angled downward, which is obviously much more likely to catch a falling target (even at 1 more frame) than a standing jab at face-level.
ill try f2 and see if its easier. i should also keep my mouth shut until i get my converter back because i'm speeking off trying that combo with a 360 pad

EDIT wow i just tried f2 shocker and my god, its so much easier than 1 shocker. i mean before 1 shocker was easy and worth the 1% more damage but now i'll just start doing f2 shocker. so much more consistent. thanks shoshinsha

You got that backwords you want to tele into 1, shocker then f2 VB superman.
no some people do tele f2 shocker, i never see anyone do that combo you stated 334 tele 1 shocker f2 vb superman? how much damage is it?

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
no some people do tele f2 shocker, i never see anyone do that combo you stated 334 tele 1 shocker f2 vb superman? how much damage is it?
Don't remember the exact damage but i believe it is 40% i remember testing F2 after tele and it affects the scaling for the rest of the combo and results in 1 or 2% less.

ill try f2 and see if its easier. i should also keep my mouth shut until i get my converter back because i'm speeking off trying that combo with a 360 pad

EDIT wow i just tried f2 shocker and my god, its so much easier than 1 shocker. i mean before 1 shocker was easy and worth the 1% more damage but now i'll just start doing f2 shocker. so much more consistent. thanks shoshinsha
Hey, no charge. Glad to be of service. Hope you get your converter back soon. I play on a TE stick and can't imagine trying to do much of anything in this game on a 360 pad.