What's new

Raiden footsies/spacing

Unreal6S

XBL: Unreal6S
I really don't have a good sense of this. Mostly because Raiden has a monstrous hit box, terrible pokes and little or no anti-air. I've been fairly successful at baiting a jump in then I teleport into superman and other very simple things like that, but I really want to know:
a). Where should I be spaced
b). What are good tools for footsies (other than pokes)
c). How to incorporate d4
d). What to do for anti-air

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
I really don't have a good sense of this. Mostly because Raiden has a monstrous hit box, terrible pokes and little or no anti-air. I've been fairly successful at baiting a jump in then I teleport into superman and other very simple things like that, but I really want to know:
A) it depends on what their footsy moves are. For example, against reptile, I stand just outside elbow dash range so if they do the dash you can either dash forward to block and punish or you can use f2 or b3 to whiff punish. That's just one example. You can d4 then b3, f2, 3, teleport depending on whether they block it or get hit by it.

B)b3, f2, d4

C)you can d4 if you're expecting them to do a string that starts high, or after a jump in punch, or just in open space sometimes as a footsy tool.

D) 1~vb, dash shocker, 334, superman against jump ins
d1, dash 1~shocker, 334, superman against cross ups. You can also use the first combo against cross ups too but it's a strict timing that is hard to use reactively.

Unreal6S

A) it depends on what their footsy moves are. For example, against reptile, I stand just outside elbow dash range so if they do the dash you can either dash forward to block and punish or you can use f2 or b3 to whiff punish. That's just one example. You can d4 then b3, f2, 3, teleport depending on whether they block it or get hit by it.

B)b3, f2, d4

C)you can d4 if you're expecting them to do a string that starts high, or after a jump in punch, or just in open space sometimes as a footsy tool.

D) 1~vb, dash shocker, 334, superman against jump ins
d1, dash 1~shocker, 334, superman against cross ups. You can also use the first combo against cross ups too but it's a strict timing that is hard to use reactively.
Thanks a lot man, I'm pretty sure we're friends on xbl, so if you wanna work on your Raiden mirror skills im willing to play whenever. By the way, nice default.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Thanks a lot man, I'm pretty sure we're friends on xbl, so if you wanna work on your Raiden mirror skills im willing to play whenever. By the way, nice default.
Yeah definitely. Send me an invite sometime if you see I'm on. I'll do the same. I play other characters too so we should be good. Raiden mirrors are fun haha.

Unreal6S

Yeah definitely. Send me an invite sometime if you see I'm on. I'll do the same. I play other characters too so we should be good. Raiden mirrors are fun haha.
Yeah definitely, Raiden's my main, but I play kitana, noob, quan chi, sub zero, and rain all as secondaries, and like half the cast are my third layer of characters, so we could have good games for a while, plus you can show me some stuff with Raiden

mekane

Noob
what can you do after you finish a string, such as B3-1-2, and you expect them to cross over you? I don't like NJP because they "might" not jump, but I want a move that can continue pressure but also stop the cross over. It seems like d1 doesn't catch them at the start of their jump, b3-1-2 doens't catch them, and neither does 334... not even 1-2-1 catches them it seems like, sometimes i might catch them with one of the htis but can't follow up into combo. is NJP the only option then?

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
you can back dash after 334 because 334 is only -1 on block. b312 is -3 so you still can but they might catch you with something. if they jump then you are at a good spacing for 1~vb for anti air.

Unreal6S

what can you do after you finish a string, such as B3-1-2, and you expect them to cross over you? I don't like NJP because they "might" not jump, but I want a move that can continue pressure but also stop the cross over. It seems like d1 doesn't catch them at the start of their jump, b3-1-2 doens't catch them, and neither does 334... not even 1-2-1 catches them it seems like, sometimes i might catch them with one of the htis but can't follow up into combo. is NJP the only option then?
Also I don't think there's anything wrong with a well timed teleport after a string in combination with intelligent blocking. The essence of Raiden's pressure isn't his ability to keep pressure going, but his ability to get pressure back quickly and easily because of the teleport.

Chaosphere

The Free Meter Police
Also, if you think they are going to try to cross you up after a blocked string, you can always simply hold block and do an ex-shocker once they get on the other side of you. This is probably the safest thing to do as long as you have meter. Otherwise you can do a d1 anti cross up combo which is harder to do.

mekane

Noob
damn raiden anti air sux. i land the 1 but VB doesn't connect. and kicks beat the 1 pretty easily. i think this is why even top level raidens are forced to jump a lot, NJP / air to air.... even BWizz jumps a lot i noticed.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
damn raiden anti air sux. i land the 1 but VB doesn't connect. and kicks beat the 1 pretty easily. i think this is why even top level raidens are forced to jump a lot, NJP / air to air.... even BWizz jumps a lot i noticed.
Kicks beat all standing jabs, anyway it can be awkward trying to do 1~VB but practice it enough and it works. Combine that with EX Shocker and d1 combos and you basically can't jump at Raiden.

B W1zZ

Noob
Raiden is way easier to play on stick in my opinion...stand 1 vb , d1 dash 1 shocker combos etc in my opinion would be easier on stick than pad, not to mention doing 121, 1212 etc.

Anyways in response to the OP:

It's all matchup/situation dependent in my opinion. If you have the life lead use dashblocking and force them to come to you while playing mind games with lightning/superman/tele. B312 is great for whiff punishing combos if the opponent misses while attempting to rush you down.

B3, B31, F23, F24, D1 VB, Stand 1 VB, D4 are all options for footsies, along with sweep and mixing in throws. It's all about making reads. Also it's a good idea to train yourself to hit confirm the B312 string. For example, you do a B3...if it hits follow up with 12 into a full combo...otherwise you could just go into 1 or stop at B3 then follow up with a throw or other footsies/strings. Also if your opponent likes to jump after you do a D3 (sometimes as a counter to F24), a stand 1 vb combo is guaranteed if they attempt to jump after D3 hits.

D4 starts up kind of slow but its pretty effective off of a jump in punch or a follow up for a D3, and after a JIP you choose to either D4 or F4 (overhead). After it hits your guaranteed a block string, but often times it's easy to land a full combo after you D4 (hit), dash 334.

D1 dash 1 shocker, en shocker, 1 vb dash shocker, 2 vb dash shocker combos are all anti air options. If you want to play more defensively tele the jump ins and punish or escape jumps/ jump ins with superman. JK followed by a ground superman is a good option as well. If your B312 ends up juggling an opponent follow up with shocker into 33 VB superman or 334/334 tele.

mekane

Noob
Also if your opponent likes to jump after you do a D3 (sometimes as a counter to F24), a stand 1 vb combo is guaranteed if they attempt to jump after D3 hits.
awesome.... everytime I d3 on hit they were jumping my F24, and it made me very, very angry lol.... so this will teach the basterds to block!

mekane

Noob

D1 dash 1 shocker, en shocker, 1 vb dash shocker, 2 vb dash shocker combos are all anti air options. If you want to play more defensively tele the jump ins and punish or escape jumps/ jump ins with superman. JK followed by a ground superman is a good option as well. If your B312 ends up juggling an opponent follow up with shocker into 33 VB superman or 334/334 tele.
So if you are playing Jax and you are ready for him to jump at you from fairly close distance, too close to back dash then superman. do you pretty much just have to use ex shocker? JK -> back breaker is a lot of damage and his jump kick has incredible priority and range.

mekane

Noob
awesome.... everytime I d3 on hit they were jumping my F24, and it made me very, very angry lol.... so this will teach the basterds to block!
what about a d1 if they attempt to jump? that should catch them i would think after a d3 lands, what about at neutral frames? and is this a viable tactic or is the difficulty of trying to combo after a d1 as they are jumping make this not a viable strategy?