What's new

Tech Quick Tech Analysis pt.1 : N.T.C.G./C.G.N.T.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
One of Bane's many techs is his unique ability to link his normal throw into his command grab and vice versa from anywhere on the screen. On paper, this sounds average if not irrelevant as a whole, but this analysis of the tech will show not only advantages to using this tech but also possible remedies to its counters.

(Make note that all normal throws are forward throws)

First off is the N.T.C.G., or the "Normal Throw -> Command Grab". As can be seen from a lot of characters, normal throws don't leave the victim with much time to use their wake-ups before standing again. Why, then, is this useful? After all Bane, as he is, has just put himself a little over quarter screen distance from his opponent and given them a free stand! That is where the command grab comes into play. The distance is easily covered, and a Bane player can train himself to buffer it in the ending of the grab animation to have it come out as soon as it's able, something the opponent isn't going to be able to do as its not a window they commonly have to worry about. Linking N.T.C.G. will result in about 30% unclashable unblockable damage by itself, so there's some good merit in using it.

As an added benefit, the throw leaves them within range for double punch as well, meaning you can potentially punish eager jumpers.

Counters:
Break the N.T. - This is the most common solution that can be done, as stopping the normal throw prevents the set-up. However, once the Bane player sees himself being pushed away, he can actually buffer a command grab to punish the throw break.

Backdash the C.G. - This is another solution that is very possible, as Bane doesn't have many answers for an opponent mashing out their backdash from that range. The command grab can't be punished, however Bane loses his pressure so this is probably the best bet. Bane players ~can~ use charge out of the grab instead of C.G., but it's not as guaranteed so its unlikely. If you are not fast enough, however, the Bane's command grab will eat your backdash for morning brunch.

Wake-up after N.T. - Some players may be able to use that small window to wake-up. However, if you lack a teleport or don't know your grab-immune specials you run a risk of eating the C.G. anyways because of the armor properties.

Jump the C.G. - Be careful, double punch will knock you out of the sky and tack on an extra bit of damage to boot along with good advantage.

Possible set-ups:

b.23 d.2 j.2 b.23 (Da) b.1 N.T.C.G. - Fast stand reset into frame trap.
DP N.T.C.G. - (On-block) Leaves you neutral, if the opponent respects the double punch then its free.
113xxbf1 (DaOv) N.T.C.G. - Using the Dash Over, we can use this as a trap when the opponent expects the b.23 follow-up.

----------

Next is the C.G.N.T., which of course is the "Command grab -> Normal Throw". This one is the more practical option as it doesn't rely on as much commitment or damage sacrifice, and instead is simply a very strong follow-up. Just as before, they link into each-other distance wise surprisingly well, however the command grab can be used as a power ender to most BnBs making this tech the more common of the two. Coming out in just 10 frames, N.T. is by far our fastest tool out of command grab oki, and it hits surprisingly well. As before, it adds about 30% by itself but also links into the N.T.C.G. allowing for a loop of the tech against unrespecting opponents.

Also as before, the range the command grab leaves you at allows you to use Double Punch to catch fliers.

Counters -

Break the N.T. - See above.

Wake-up after C.G. - This is the most reliable way to avoid the normal throw, however if the Bane is using anything with armor this becomes a risky expenditure without teleports.

Backdash the N.T. - You can avoid a lot by backdashing these techs, but once there is nowhere left to run (the wall carry is decent) this becomes a less optimal strategy.

Possible set-ups -
b.23 d.2 j.2 b.23 (Da) C.G.N.T. - Command grab works as an options select as it can actually beat out a lot of tech wake-ups and normal wake-ups alike, backdashes, and also just the quickstand itself and tech rolls.

b.23 123 C.G.N.T. - This does the good damage while still setting up the extra 12% damage onto the end with the possibility of more afterwards. Probably the most reliable set-up as, even with the tech's failure, you are still getting the sure damage without sacrificing any.

113xxbf1 (DaOv) C.G.N.T. - Same as before, this works as an unblockable option after the opponent is crossed-over by the dash. Does decent damage to boot.

This is just a quick look into a simple but effective tech, and hopefully more Banes can begin to implement this into their game plans and oki situations as I see far too often Banes giving up pressure after command grab enders, and I feel that a lot of people aren't fully utilizing the power of his grab game.

SUPARNOVAX

Low tier? I was born in it, molded by it
There's not much advantage for forward throw for a body press to just frame.

The only thing that makes sense is body press advantage covering the normal throw start up.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
There's not much advantage for forward throw for a body press to just frame.

The only thing that makes sense is body press advantage covering the normal throw start up.
Its more for corner play and to catch unexpecting opponents, but I list that in the main post that the N.T.C.G. is mainly for that, to catch opponents not used to the throw animation's ending time. In the corner where they have nowhere to run, the N.T.C.G. is much more effective.

SUPARNOVAX

Its more for corner play and to catch unexpecting opponents, but I list that in the main post that the N.T.C.G. is mainly for that, to catch opponents not used to the throw animation's ending time. In the corner where they have nowhere to run, the N.T.C.G. is much more effective.
They're not links. Edit your OP. You can't just make up something and call it tech when it's not.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
They're not links. Don't make stuff up for the sake of it.
Its true they aren't links, but they are things that follow into each other and, in certain MUs, are effective in conjunction. Plus it gets tiring typing in Normal Throw into Command grab, and pretty much no one aside from Bane can actually do it so yeah.

Also most "reset techs" aren't links, but people still hail them as such.

SUPARNOVAX

Its true they aren't links, but they are things that follow into each other and, in certain MUs, are effective in conjunction. Plus it gets tiring typing in Normal Throw into Command grab, and pretty much no one aside from Bane can actually do it so yeah.
Forward throw doesn't link into body press. That is my point. You're making things up.

SUPARNOVAX

It's not a link when people can jump it. If people hesitate and sit there to let you grab it, that's not a link lol

It's the same rule as body pressing into body pressing.

edit: You should just delete this thread.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
It's not a link when people can jump it. If people hesitate and sit there to let you grab it, that's not a link lol

It's the same rule as body pressing into body pressing.

edit: You should just delete this thread.
Fair enough, then Ares MB god smack resets must not be true resets because people can jump them? There's a lot in the game that can be avoided, however jumping when expecting the Command grab leaves you open to other follow-ups so yeah.

But my mistake, obviously the only "links" are the unavoidable kind that don't happen to have any form of opening. In other words, a lot of combos in this game which have gaps aren't "links" and the opponent getting hit simply invalidates them. B.23? Not a link obviously. We better stop using it D:

Edit: no.

SUPARNOVAX

Fair enough, then Ares MB god smack resets must not be true resets because people can jump them? There's a lot in the game that can be avoided, however jumping the Command grab leaves you open to other follow-ups so yeah.
First off, I don't know what that is yet. A reset from Ares has nothing to do with your definition of links. I simply corrected you that what you mentioned isn't a link between forward grab into the body press. You should reword and change that not to confuse people. That's more of a frame advantage situation. Throws cannot combo into grabs in this game from what I can tell. This ain't Marvel vs Capcom 3, so there is no linking. I don't know if MK games have a different definition of links, but in other fighting games links are formed between attacks given enough hit stun.

If that Ares reset does what it's intended, which is to end the combo somewhere to present a new situation for a fresh combo to begin as a follow up, then it's a reset. I've no idea why you brought that up.

But my mistake, obviously the only "links" are the unavoidable kind that don't happen to have any form of opening. In other words, a lot of combos in this game which have gaps aren't "links" and the opponent getting hit simply invalidates them.

Edit: no.
If the game doesn't say it combos, it's not a link. We're just talking resets and stuff happening like Bane charge setups where he tramples people for an extra 15%+ damage after a combo because that was properly planned. What you're mentioning here with forward throw with a body press follow up isn't a link, it is just a frame trap with a command grab. Body press is too slow to really work that way and you don't get enough frame advantage off the forward throw. By your definition we could just call body pressing into itself is a link, but it isn't.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
First off, I don't know what that is yes. A reset from Ares has nothing to do with your definition of links. I simply corrected you that what you mentioned isn't a link between forward grab into the body press. You should reword and change that not to confuse people. That's more of a frame advantage situation. Throws cannot combo into grabs in this game from what I can tell. This ain't Marvel vs Capcom 3, so there is no linking. I don't know if MK games have a different definition of links, but in other fighting games links are formed between attacks given enough hit stun.

If that Ares reset does what it's intended, which is to end the combo somewhere to present a new situation for a fresh combo to begin as a follow up, then it's a reset. I've no idea why you brought that up.

If the game doesn't say it combos, it's not a link. We're just talking resets and stuff happening like Bane charge setups where he tramples people for an extra 15%+ damage after a combo because that was properly planned. What you're mentioning here with forward throw with a body press follow up isn't a link, it is just a frame trap with a command grab. Body press is too slow to really work that way and you don't get enough frame advantage off the forward throw. By your definition we could just call body pressing into itself is a link, but it isn't.
Outside of juggles, the MK/Inj system doesn't do the same hitstun linking that marvel or SF have. Hence why we can't loop d.1 which is 11 frames and +17. Frame traps can be called "links" if the moves cover each other in terms of advantage, but outside of neutrals nothing links if its not juggled. The ares reset is an example of something that can be jumped but that doesn't stop it from being a reset.

We don't call it a "link" in the form of a noun, however we can call it w "link" as a verb, as in the action of linking together moves with an intended outcome made possible by the properties of said attacks. I said "we can link the throw to the grab" as in "in the chain of action, this is the next link". The only true block string is b.1 d.1 which is a "link" by your definition, but there's also b.1 normal throw, which is +12 on block and has a 10 frame start-up but is avoidable by jumping. Actually, it's also a link in the noun sense as one move's frames help the other ones connect.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
Today I learned that if I make up definitions for things, I can say whatever I want!

Good to know.
Noun of link: a relationship between two things or situations, esp. where one thing affects the other.

Verb of link:
make, form, or suggest a connection with or between.

So no, these are realistic and actual definitions for what "link" is. If a move has positive frames and another move uses them, by all means that is a "link"

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
Noun of link: a relationship between two things or situations, esp. where one thing affects the other.

Verb of link:

So no, these are realistic and actual definitions for what "link" is. If a move has positive frames and another move uses them, by all means that is a "link"
The dictionary doesn't use the same definition of links as fighting games do, but it's ok because I happen to have one.

"A Link is when the hit-stun is long enough from one move to allow you to combo with another move." -Eventhubs

"- n. - A combo method where you combo two moves in a row not based on any special system built-in combo method. The first move simply recovers fast enough and the second move simply comes out quickly enough for the two to connect.
- v. - To perform a Link." -SRK glosary

In this case, you can link moves out of strings, or normals. It's not a link. Also, most resets are escapable. Saying something isn't a "true reset" because you can get out has nothing to do with the reset itself.

SUPARNOVAX

Outside of juggles, the MK/Inj system doesn't do the same hitstun linking that marvel or SF have. Hence why we can't loop d.1 which is 11 frames and +17. Frame traps can be called "links" if the moves cover each other in terms of advantage, but outside of neutrals nothing links if its not juggled. The ares reset is an example of something that can be jumped but that doesn't stop it from being a reset.

We don't call it a "link" in the form of a noun, however we can call it w "link" as a verb, as in the action of linking together moves with an intended outcome made possible by the properties of said attacks. I said "we can link the throw to the grab" as in "in the chain of action, this is the next link". The only true block string is b.1 d.1 which is a "link" by your definition, but there's also b.1 normal throw, which is +12 on block and has a 10 frame start-up but is avoidable by jumping.
Today I learned that if I make up definitions for things, I can say whatever I want!

Good to know.

Verb of link:

I'm done.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
The dictionary doesn't use the same definition of links as fighting games do, but it's ok because I happen to have one.

"A Link is when the hit-stun is long enough from one move to allow you to combo with another move." -Eventhubs

"- n. - A combo method where you combo two moves in a row not based on any special system built-in combo method. The first move simply recovers fast enough and the second move simply comes out quickly enough for the two to connect.
- v. - To perform a Link." -SRK glosary

In this case, you can link moves out of strings, or normals. It's not a link. Also, most resets are escapable. Saying something isn't a "true reset" because you can get out has nothing to do with the reset itself.
I never said anything wasn't a true reset, but simply that it being escapable doesn't invalidate it as a reset.
D.1 is +17 and 11 frames of start-up so by all means d.1 d.1 should be a link but isn't. If the normal rule of links applied in this game then I could d.1 people as an infinite or have two of them "link" because one is fast enough to get in with the + frames of the one before it. This is not the case, and the definition you provided hails from a glossary specifically depicting games in which a different combo engine exists. When I can link multiple c.lights, let me know.

Sajam

Nightwing In Retirement
I never said anything wasn't a true reset, but simply that it being escapable doesn't invalidate it as a reset.
D.1 is +17 and 11 frames of start-up so by all means d.1 d.1 should be a link but isn't. If the normal rule of links applied in this game then I could d.1 people as an infinite or have two of them "link" because one is fast enough to get in with the + frames of the one before it. This is not the case, and the definition you provided hails from a glossary specifically depicting games in which a different combo engine exists. When I can link multiple c.lights, let me know.
The definitions apply when you consider that the recovery effects of moves have to be factored in, and this is a unique factor to the game engine. The definition of a link still applies to a majority of the game, and is significantly easier to apply than dictionary definitions that have nothing to do with the game.

Doombawkz

Trust me, I'm a doctor
The definitions apply when you consider that the recovery effects of moves have to be factored in, and this is a unique factor to the game engine. The definition of a link still applies to a majority of the game, and is significantly easier to apply than dictionary definitions that have nothing to do with the game.
But your definition still doesn't apply to the engine, and there would be no reason why b.1 links into d.1 on block but not on hit, despite giving less advantage on block than on hit does. How do you explain that if the linking system truly does apply as normally?

SUPARNOVAX

But your definition still doesn't apply to the engine, and there would be no reason why b.1 links into d.1 on block but not on hit, despite giving less advantage on block than on hit does. How do you explain that if the linking system truly does apply as normally?