What's new

Questions from a super Noob (not saibot...)

Jufafs

Noob
Hi All,

I'm very new to UMK3 because of XBLA and I have some questions that I don't really know how to find the answer to. The questions are generally very basic in nature and so they aren't covered in a lot of the FAQs that are currently on the net.

Ok so here are some of my questions...

What exactly is a "combo"... when I try to do the sequence that is listed as a "combo" my opponent usually bounces too far away on the first HP and then I'm just punching air.. What 'exactly' is meant by combo and is it different than just a sequence of button presses... What I mean by that is are their special animation for the "combo" or not?

Also.. why when I do a jump kick I almost always get jump kicked by my opponent on XBL... for example we both jump kick at each other at the same time but I always lose this jump kick face off.. is it because I'm pressing kick too late?

is it better to use the bumper buttons to block instead of the triggers? since it takes more time to depress the trigger buttons? what do you guys use? do you guys all mod your d pad or do you use special controllers when playing on XBLA?

I don't really get what the big deal is with run jabbing...? It looks to my untrained eyes that repeatedly pressing the LP button sends out punches a lot faster than me trying to press Rn, LP, Rn, LP, Rn, LP.. what am i doing wrong or what am i missing? I do see the benefit of getting in throws by this method.. it seems like a cheap way to defeat a CPU opponent...

OK everybody.. I really hope that some of you experts can help illuminate some of my newb questions.. thanks in advance!

dreemernj

Ambassador
I'll take a couple of these.

A combo is a bunch of moves that once started, the opponent cannot stop. There are autocombos, aka dial-a-combos. With Ermac, you get close and press LK the LP. He will do a knee lift and then an uppercut. Autocombos are preset lists of button presses. Press the buttons, and the combo comes out, usually using custom animations that are only there for combos.

You can also combo by juggling people. For instance if someone jumps at you, you can do antiair HP, HP, jump kick, or something like that. That will be a 3 hit combo.

You can also combo using containment moves. For instance if you get robo smokes teleport uppercut, you can do his spear which is a containment. It will real them in, and then you can do any regular hit, or you can do an autocombo.

Containments are pretty much the only way you can combo on the ground other than using autocombos. If you do Scorpion's teleport, and then spear, that isn't a real combo, because they can block the spear. If you do Kabal's ground blade and then run in and try to do an autocombo, that's not a real combo because they can block any hit after the ground blade.

The rule of thumb is, if they touch the ground, they can block and thus break the combo. This doesn't apply to when you do a containment move that brings them to the ground.

Another thing to remember, a lot of containments break if you jump. If you spear someone with Scorpion. Human Smoke, or Robo Smoke, or catch someone in Sindel's scream, jumping will set them free. You can safely jump if you catch someone in other containments though, like Cyrax's net or Kabal's spin.

The combos listed in the character guides are mostly combinations of autocombos and juggles. For instance, if you check out Sektor's character guide, watch the video at the bottom. The first bunch of hits are an autocombo. (Jump punch starter, HP, HP, D+LP) is all an autocombo. Just hit the buttons and the combo happens. After the final hit of the autocombo (the popup or uppercut), you have to juggle them to keep the combo going, and this requires timing and placement. You have to step forward enough to get more HP's on them in air, and finish with something like a jump kick.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Someone moving upwards on a JK will usually beat the person higher, there are some instances where it doesn't happen. Basically what you want to do is try not to get into the double JK situations, and rather, allow them to JK and run under them, then punish.

Run Jabs are thoroughly explained in the Character Guides section under General Gameplay

Jufafs

Noob
Thanks to you guys for the great replies...

I did check out the section on run jabbing in the general gameplay section.. I guess after I read it I tried it and I wasn't quite sure of the purpose. On more thought it seems to me like it is useful for keeping up the pressure on your opponent and hoping that they may let go of block/back for a moment so you can get a throw in.

I guess I'm not sure if I'm doing it right.. When i try it on XBL it seems like my opponent just sweeps me.. Is it because I just suck and I should be anticipating a sweep or a counter and so I should do something else...

Anyways.. please excuse my rambling.... from a newb's perspective it seems like run jabbing is to keep pressure on and to try to get a throw.

Does that seem accurate? Also, I guess it says in the section you mentioned that after more that two LP then a push back occurs so I guess that's another reason for run jabbing.... I know you guys must get tired of talking about run jabbing so I apologize...

This site is a great resource BTW....

Jufafs

Noob
Thanks for the offer UltImaTe GTA.. I actually don't have time right now but maybe another time... Thanks!

dreemernj

Ambassador
I've never been good at runjabbing myself. If done right the amount of pressure it can put on someone is huge. If your opponent lets go of away, you'll get a throw with it. But a lot of times, people will run jab and occasionally through out an autocombo that starts low. There is a lot of anticipation in it, and trying to figure out when your opponent is going to let go of block to try something. Playing a really good player can get frustrating because it feels like they are the half a step ahead of you they need to be to get you with an combo the very moment you let go of block to try something.

I'd say if someone is getting you with sweeps, you might not be canceling the punch fast enough with run and getting the next punch out a little slow. But there are also characters with phenomenal sweeps like Kano, and good D+LK's like Sonya, so sometimes it becomes extra hard to not get swept or kicked.

Jufafs

Noob
hmmm.... yah.. you're probably right dreemernj... I'm probably not canceling properly.. i'll mess around and see if I can get a feel for it.. maybe I should watch some videos...

btw.. I'm trying to learn kabal... i don't really know the reasons why he's ranked highest but i thought... why not start at the top and work my way down...

Also.. Shock.. you mentioned to run under the guy and punish them.. do you mean uppercut or unleash a combo or something? I was playing my friend earlier and he kept jump kicking me.. it was so annoying... yes.. i know i suck... :) From what i've read it seems like being in the air is a generally weak position.. do you guys agree?