What's new

Questions about the MK lore!

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Just want to quickly point out that Noob never beat or stabbed Goro in any canon MK story. The original comics, tv shows, movies did a lot of cool stuff but none of it is canon. Only the games, tie in comics and MKX comics are.

@ Juxtapose:
Ok I won't say anything ;) so I can't elaborate on part of my argument because well, you'll see lol.

But yeah overall Raiden is more powerful than Shao Kahn(not in OW) and Shinnok(without amulet) just what I'm saying, MK like comics tend to amp people namely bad guys half the time as to why they're a threat but also we have to remember Raiden's an immortal Thunder God too. So he is a force to be dealt with. Well, was just comparing Kahn to Shinnok. Shinnok is a lot smarter and more scheming then Kahn(no offense to Shao Kahn) but he pretty much got dooped easily by QC lol without asking questions regarding MK9's invasion you know?

Shinnok though is one cunning sob lol, but yeah definitely arrogant and ignored the rules of the Elder Gods which was one of his mistakes lol

Oh Shang is powerful but he's not on Raiden's level, LK beat him pretty easily I don't believe LK would be able to beat Raiden honestly. I believe onilord broke it down one day regarding in a lot of ways Raiden and Kahn are equal being the most powerful guys of their realms etc, well Shao Kahn WAS...Raiden still is. Goro and LK are definitely more equal as both are their realms champs.

Oh yeah nobody is as powerful as the EG, they're the God of MKU and watch everything that goes on you know? Oh if you haven't read the MK X comics SOME things may make less sense to you once you play the game. That's good that you have the novel, it's good stuff :)

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82
Sorry to be a shill, but I post this everywhere I can to get credible feedback.

This is a "power grid" I created some years ago in order to rank the characters.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/onilordasmodeus/blog/mortal-kombat-character-power-grid-mk-power-levels/83343/

Of course this is a living document, and with MKX releasing in a week or so, I'd love to get more feedback both before and after the new game's release. I only ask that if you have a dispute or recommendation, that you please provide an explanation or proof of where you stand. Thanks!

MKF30

This is a "power grid" I created some years ago in order to rank the characters.

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/onilordasmodeus/blog/mortal-kombat-character-power-grid-mk-power-levels/83343/

Of course this is a living document, and with MKX releasing in a week or so, I'd love to get more feedback both before and after the new game's release. I only ask that if you have a dispute or recommendation, that you please provide an explanation or proof of where you stand. Thanks!
With some of the things that happen in MKX(spoilers) some people on that list may change possibly but I'll mention it once the games out and majority have played storymode for themselves :) lol that list is awesome btw, I remember that.

Just want to quickly point out that Noob never beat or stabbed Goro in any canon MK story. The original comics, tv shows, movies did a lot of cool stuff but none of it is canon. Only the games, tie in comics and MKX comics are.

@ Juxtapose:
Ok I won't say anything ;) so I can't elaborate on part of my argument because well, you'll see lol.

But yeah overall Raiden is more powerful than Shao Kahn(not in OW) and Shinnok(without amulet) just what I'm saying, MK like comics tend to amp people namely bad guys half the time as to why they're a threat but also we have to remember Raiden's an immortal Thunder God too. So he is a force to be dealt with. Well, was just comparing Kahn to Shinnok. Shinnok is a lot smarter and more scheming then Kahn(no offense to Shao Kahn) but he pretty much got dooped easily by QC lol without asking questions regarding MK9's invasion you know?

Shinnok though is one cunning sob lol, but yeah definitely arrogant and ignored the rules of the Elder Gods which was one of his mistakes lol

Oh Shang is powerful but he's not on Raiden's level, LK beat him pretty easily I don't believe LK would be able to beat Raiden honestly. I believe onilord broke it down one day regarding in a lot of ways Raiden and Kahn are equal being the most powerful guys of their realms etc, well Shao Kahn WAS...Raiden still is. Goro and LK are definitely more equal as both are their realms champs.

Oh yeah nobody is as powerful as the EG, they're the God of MKU and watch everything that goes on you know? Oh if you haven't read the MK X comics SOME things may make less sense to you once you play the game. That's good that you have the novel, it's good stuff :)
Actually, Noob Saibot "stabbed" Goro in the back (surprise attack) at the end of Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, but as I recall, this wasn't revealed until the Gamecube version of Mortal Kombat: Deception when Goro was added to the roster.

I honestly found the last, last gen 3D Mortal Kombats (Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon) to be generally pretty poor and convoluted in terms of story telling. They are canon of course, but I found them pretty sloppy.

And thanks! I'm really psyched for the story of Mortal Kombat X. Perhaps we'll chat again after I complete the story mode, which I figure will be later into the week of the 13th.

About Shao Khan being easily dupped, another thing I find about the reboot timeline over the original timeline, especially comparing to the original trilogy, is many of the characters are far more immature in the new. Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, even Scorpion, are all more immature thus far. I didn't find Shao Khan immature, but more arrogant and certainly more impulsive. Still great story telling for a 2011 fighting game though!

I don't have the graphic novel yet, it's coming on release and I believe it also launches on the 14th. It's all the comics released thus far, but contained in a single volume. Looking forward to it!

Shad

Magnificent ninja hairspray
Yo. MK Tournament edition, handheld on GBA and an extension of MKDA's story:

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mkda/noobsaibot/

This is the whole reason Kitana etc. were mourning Goro in MKDA; Noob nearly killed him. It was revealed in MKD Gamecube that Kahn approached him as he lay dying and they pulled that dumb retcon where Kahn healed him, and put a disfigured Shokan corpse in his place.

Also backed up by Goro's Deception GC bio:

http://www.mortalkombatwarehouse.com/mkd/goro/

Sorry dude. The shadow knows where to strike. ;)

An extremely awesome list!

This is the whole reason Kitana etc. were mourning Goro in MKDA; Noob nearly killed him. It was revealed in MKD Gamecube that Kahn approached him as he lay dying and they pulled that dumb retcon where Kahn healed him, and put a disfigured Shokan corpse in his place.

That was it!

Like I said, those 3D MK's, convoluted story telling :p.

MKF30

Actually, Noob Saibot "stabbed" Goro in the back (surprise attack) at the end of Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance, but as I recall, this wasn't revealed until the Gamecube version of Mortal Kombat: Deception when Goro was added to the roster.

I honestly found the last, last gen 3D Mortal Kombats (Deadly Alliance, Deception, and Armageddon) to be generally pretty poor and convoluted in terms of story telling. They are canon of course, but I found them pretty sloppy.

And thanks! I'm really psyched for the story of Mortal Kombat X. Perhaps we'll chat again after I complete the story mode, which I figure will be later into the week of the 13th.

About Shao Khan being easily dupped, another thing I find about the reboot timeline over the original timeline, especially comparing to the original trilogy, is many of the characters are far more immature in the new. Liu Kang, Kung Lao, Kitana, Mileena, even Scorpion, are all more immature thus far. I didn't find Shao Khan immature, but more arrogant and certainly more impulsive. Still great story telling for a 2011 fighting game though!

I don't have the graphic novel yet, it's coming on release and I believe it also launches on the 14th. It's all the comics released thus far, but contained in a single volume. Looking forward to it!
Oh the attack in his ending for MK D GC I have that version lol. The GC version also confirmed since Shao Kahn was in it that the thing he was a clone that died/got killed by Shang and QC, the real Shao Kahn in that original timeline was hiding and healing but working with Goro as well. Though some more stuff happened in the GBA version of MK DA too if I remember correctly. Such as Sareena appearing and Sektor being defeated by Sub-Zero and fleeing to create his own clan the Tekunin.

I thought he was referring to the currently timeline or MKA/beginning of MK9 etc. Most of the arcade endings tend to be not canon anyway(I mean just the way the games tend to work, sometimes they may tie into the canon story but usually not)

From MK DA-present I always considered the Konquest and now storymodes the real canon you know? Those arcade endings are just I think "what if scenarios" though SOMETIMES they can be canon if they tie into the story ie like Scorpion in Deception being lost in the void of the Elder Gods, then amping him to take out onaga to be their champion. That also happened in the storymode though he was referenced as "Monster" if you remember. Shujinko beat him and killed Onaga instead.

The 3D games were canon but pretty much rewritten and changed a bit in current continuity with the whole MK9/end of MKA Raiden changing time gig leading up to MK X.

Yeah, their personalities seem less mature. Mileena it makes sense though in a way she was always a little "crazy" lol and Scorpion just seemed more blinded by rage and vengence, he seems to mature in MK X though after years of Sub trying to convince him of the truth. Yeah I mean it's good that you're getting the novel I mean ;) My shop is getting the first volume this wednesday, so maybe it depends where you live?

Are you outside the USA?

Yep I know man ;) have it. It also explained more about Sareena as well as Sektor after getting beat by Sub-Zero fleeing and first confirmation of the Tekunin. A new clan he formed himself, but yeah I have the MK D version too I know. Thought the Noob reference was referring to the newer games that's what through me off lol. Original continuity a lot of things happen, well some that didn't happen this time around. Pretty much the events of MK Deception-MKA never happened in this newer timeline. Even some MK DA, while others stayed the same like Sub becoming Grand Master again of the Lin Kuei, Scorp and well his story with you know Quan Chi and all etc but other things took a dramatic turn.

It also explains that was a fake Shao Kahn Quan and Shang killed, it was a clone he made. Originally Noob was still alive by now/ MK X which covers that time period and then some Noob seems to be dead as doornail:p maybe we'll see him in the story at some point?

Last edited:
Most of the arcade endings tend to be not canon anyway(I mean just the way the games tend to work, sometimes they may tie into the canon story but usually not)

From MK DA-present I always considered the Konquest and now storymodes the real canon you know? Those arcade endings are just I think "what if scenarios" though SOMETIMES they can be canon if they tie into the story ie like Scorpion in Deception being lost in the void of the Elder Gods, then amping him to take out onaga to be their champion. That also happened in the storymode though he was referenced as "Monster" if you remember. Shujinko beat him and killed Onaga instead.

<snip>

Yeah, their personalities seem less mature. Mileena it makes sense though in a way she was always a little "crazy" lol and Scorpion just seemed more blinded by rage and vengence, he seems to mature in MK X though after years of Sub trying to convince him of the truth. Yeah I mean it's good that you're getting the novel I mean ;) My shop is getting the first volume this wednesday, so maybe it depends where you live?

Are you outside the USA?
Oh yeah, that I know about the arcade endings. It was always exciting to see, with the release of the next game, who's was canon and who's was not. For the longest time I always thought Kung Lao beat Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat II, but of course it was Liu Kang. I also thought Liu Kang killed Shao Khan at the end of Mortal Kombat Trilogy (since he was absent from Mortal Kombat Gold), but obviously that wasn't true either.

One theory I always had about the new timeline, and I'm hoping to find out with Mortal Kombat X, is if Shinnok is aware of the original timeline in the new timeline. Shinnok survived Armageddon since it was a clone of his that he sent and died, so I always thought if Dark Raiden could send memories and messages back to his past self, perhaps Shinnok could and do it more clearly, or simply be aware of what was happening since he is an Elder God.

I always theorized that, armed with real knowledge of the future, that's how Shinnok was also able to so easily manipulate the new timeline events of the first three games.

Don't tell me if I'm right or wrong, I'll find out in a week and a half!

And yeah, I live in Canada, close to Toronto. I ordered the first volume not from a comic shop, but from a major bookstore chain here, Indigo. They list is as launching on the 14th, and I'm having it shipped to a local store for me to pick up so I don't have to pay shipping fees. Apparently it should arrive sometime the week of 20th, but if I see it in-store the week of the 13th, I simply buy it and cancel my online order.

So for the graphic novels, I take it they're releasing a few volumes? Will this first volume contain all the comics released to date thus far, do you know?

MKF30

Oh yeah, that I know about the arcade endings. It was always exciting to see, with the release of the next game, who's was canon and who's was not. For the longest time I always thought Kung Lao beat Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat II, but of course it was Liu Kang. I also thought Liu Kang killed Shao Khan at the end of Mortal Kombat Trilogy (since he was absent from Mortal Kombat Gold), but obviously that wasn't true either.

One theory I always had about the new timeline, and I'm hoping to find out with Mortal Kombat X, is if Shinnok is aware of the original timeline in the new timeline. Shinnok survived Armageddon since it was a clone of his that he sent and died, so I always thought if Dark Raiden could send memories and messages back to his past self, perhaps Shinnok could and do it more clearly, or simply be aware of what was happening since he is an Elder God.

I always theorized that, armed with real knowledge of the future, that's how Shinnok was also able to so easily manipulate the new timeline events of the first three games.

And yeah, I live in Canada, close to Toronto. I ordered the first volume not from a comic shop, but from a major bookstore chain here, Indigo. They list is as launching on the 14th, and I'm having it shipped to a local store for me to pick up so I don't have to pay shipping fees. Apparently it should arrive sometime the week of 20th, but if I see it in-store the week of the 13th, I simply buy it and cancel my online order.

So for the graphic novels, I take it they're releasing a few volumes? Will this first volume contain all the comics released to date thus far, do you know?
I think Shinnok at some point did make an appearance himself in MKA konquest, seem to remember him fighting Johnny Cage and Cage getting visions. But anyway yeah, I think Shinnok's powers were more of the darker source, where as Raiden's are a bit different. Otherwise I think Shinnok would have done that earlier to screw with the timeline in his own way you know? Plus, Shinnok while still powerful is a Fallen Elder God so he's not quite as powerful as an actual Elder God you know? They demoted him eons ago in rank and power. Oh sure dude, no prob lol regarding MK X I won't say anything in this topic unless I'm asked then I will use spoilers or im of course.

Yeah they'll release volumes as long as it's still being written. Usually the first volumes Trades contain the first 4-6 issues(paper book issues) some less depending.

Didn't know Mortal Kombat Mythologies was no longer cannon in the new timeline. Link to those tweets?

Even in Mortal Kombat (2011) though, the new timeline has stuff that Dark Raiden sending his memories back couldn't alter; like the Lin Quei being in the first tournament helping Shang Tsung, and Mileena being a new clone instead of growing up with Kitana, etc.
It was somewhere among the tweets about comics, like when in first chapters when blood demon in Fox's body was trying to make Hanzo release scorpion he made him relive the false memories of Sub killing his family... People started asking on tweeter how could this be true if Hanzo actually died in Mythologies, and there was a reply about it not being canon, I am sure @Youphemism remembers it)))

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
It was somewhere among the tweets about comics, like when in first chapters when blood demon in Fox's body was trying to make Hanzo release scorpion he made him relive the false memories of Sub killing his family... People started asking on tweeter how could this be true if Hanzo actually died in Mythologies, and there was a reply about it not being canon, I am sure @Youphemism remembers it)))
Yeah Shawn Kittelsen said it's a new timeline @Juxtapose I can't remember where I posted the tweet but it's somewhere in the comics thread if you want to go looking for it lol.

Onilordasmodeus

My GT: UncappedWheel82

I'm eager to see if Quan Chi has any hint that things changed too as he has some funky things going on with him and the amulet and such. In my opinion it could be either Shinnok or Quan who could have seen/sensed a change in the timeline, and though Shinnok is my favorite villain, I think it might be more appropriate that Quan be the one who discerns the truth.

There was probably more than one but yes that's probably it lol :)
Cool, cool. In it, he actually doesn't decanonize (is that a word :p) the adventure games, but says a lot of stuff changed before Mortal Kombat (2011) due to time memory stuff, but those games still advise the current games. Mortal Kombat (2011) and Mortal Kombat X are where the story's at though.

So it's a safe, non-commital answer that basically says the old stuff counts, but we can change things if we want. Which they already did plenty of in Mortal Kombat (2011).