What's new

Question Question about using uppercut off of water bubble

A-Train

Noob
Didn't see a topic addressing this particularly, but please let me know if I missed it...

What's more important when it comes to successfully uppercutting someone after you catch them in a water bubble (say after hitting them with lightning from full screen away, for example) in such a way that you can continue to juggle them after you hit the uppercut? Is their position over you more important, or is it more important to hit them as soon as possible after they release from the water bubble? Do they need to be more or less centered above you or slightly to the left or right?

Lately, I've been working on trying to incorporate the uppercut into some of my combos with Rain to up the damage output. Off of 4,3 ~ lightning, I'm able to pretty consistently dash under my opponent, hit an uppercut, dash again and continue my combo from there. However, I can't do it nearly as consistently after a water bubble from some reason.

Any pointers or advice that anyone can share would be greatly appreciated!

after some practice you'll place the bubble in the same place like all the time. you have to hit them as soon they drop from the bubble, and they have to be just a pixel or two to the left of your head.

if you look at the combo, their shoulders should sort of line up with rain's head, and they have to be as high as you can put them

Abtin

My soul is yours?
it all depends on you, you said u can get his main bnb most of the time, i suggest only using that for the following reasons:
1. pretty damn damaging and hella flashy :D
2. u can EX bubble to take their meter away
3.u can finish with aqua splash to leave them standing ( so no wake ups)
4. after the bubble u can teleport so mix up their wake up and for oki setups ( like some but not as good as him)
5.put the bubble way up and get a kinda free jump in

there are afew thing that you shoud know about the bubble :
1.ALL the characters in the game can Xray after they come out so watchout
2. it is possible to buff a armored special but its kinda risky for them.
3.after the bubble grab is NOT guaranteed

now full screen after the lightning you can:
1. wait a bit and do another lighting for unbreakable damage.
2. bring them close and do 4, roundhouse,43 then tele or aqua spalsh
3.bring them close and do 1,43, aqua splash
4. grab or jump in ( not guaranteed)

the combo that you are talking about is 43, bubble, uppercut, dash 43 lightning , round house, then tele or aqua or 4 geyser kick ( around 45-48%). this is good but also kinda hard to do and if you drop it you will lose 45%. the combo i suggest doing after the bubble which is WAY WAY easier is 43, bubble, 43 roundhouse, 43 lightning and 4 geyser ( or 43 tele). this is 42% and as you can see is easier to do and still damaging.

But all this aside if you can get the uppercut most of the time, yeah go for it after all rain's most damaging common xray combo is that ( 43,bubble uppercut, 43 lighting, roundhouse, 43 xray, uppercut 60% ) but again kinda hard to do and im lazy LOL.

if you really want to get it it just practice as they always say practice makes perfect, its just a matter of time when you develop muscle memory for it the you wont even remember the timing or the hitbox anymore.but for the record put them as high as you can and just a little bit behind rain and them immidiatly uppercut then buff the dash like you always do, if you failed and uppercut them in front of you all is not lost you might be able to get a d4, lightning after it, if you are fairly quick and LUCKY.

ill be happy if anyone can fix/add/correct me.hope i helped, happy raining everyone :D :D :D

NkdSingularity

Truth and Ugly
I'm pretty sure after launching with lightning then catching with bubble you won't be able follow up an uppercut with dash 4,3.
I use; lightning bubble 2xxRH 4,3xxSquirt for 24% . 2 has a higher hitbox than 4 meaning you can hit them earlier after dropping from the bubble giving you a larger window for the RH to connect.

A-Train

Noob
Thanks, bloodsport, Abtin, and Nkd! That's why I came to this site - to learn and hopefully improve my game! I still have plenty of practice I need to do, but I think I'm seeing some improvement already.

I did have time to practice a little using b1, 1+2, dash, 1,1 ~ water bubble and then trying the uppercut, dash, 4,3 etc. off of that. Before, I could barely do it at all. bloodsport and Abtin, I took your advice on the positioning of my opponent and managed to follow up after the uppercut more consistently than I had before. Practice makes perfect, though, so I definitely need to keep working on it. Abtin, thanks for the additional pointers about the bubble and other things you can do with it as well.

Nkd, I haven't had much time yet to practice the uppercut after lightning, bubble, but I will try what you suggested as well (whether I can get the uppercut, dash, 4,3 to work or not).

Thanks again, guys! I appreciate the help!

A-Train

Noob
Just wanted to share something that might be helpful to new Rain players trying to incorporate the uppercut into some of his bnb combos, as this was something that I had lots of trouble with before working with the feedback in the responses above and making a slight adjustment to my technique on my own.

One of Rain's bnb uppercut combos that I had been trying to get down pat was 4,3~bubble, reverse uppercut, dash, 4,3~lightning, dash, roundhouse, 4~geyserkick

In the past, while positioning the bubble over me per the feedback I received above, I would be waiting for the release from the bubble to slide my finger over to 2 for the uppercut. Even though my positioning of the bubble was now better, I just couldn't get the timing down for the reverse uppercut itself and kept hitting it late or missing it completely.

The change I made yesterday was to position my finger just over the 2 button as soon as I hit the bubble and keep it there while I get my opponent into position in the bubble. This then allows me to quickly hit d2 for the uppercut right after the bubble's release and give myself as much time as possible to dash in for 4,3~lightning and the rest of the combo. The difference in my success rate with this combo after making this additional adjustment is like night and day.

I know this won't be any help to more experienced Rain players that learned this combo a long time ago, so I'm sorry for the long post and redundancy. Not sure why I didn't think of this sooner, but I thought I'd share this in the hope that it will help any newer Rain players that are having difficulty with this combo.

What works best for me is the bubble then reverse uppercut. I try to get the lightning/reverse uppercut but I can never seem to get it to work. At first Rain was uncomfortable to use, much more than SZ or Cyrax is for me, but I'm starting to get the hang of him and am loving the EX-RH and that EX-Teleport is a real game changer/clincher when both players are down to 10% or so.