What's new

Question about gamepad vs fightstick

I noticed that when I watched the Evo 2011 championships and saw that no one was using fight sticks. I was just wondering why :] Is it easier to use a gamepad for MK rather than a fightstick?

Mikemetroid

Who hired this guy, WTF?
I use an arcade stick.

I guess the thing is that using pad its kind of easier for execution and things like that but I'm just not as fast with it as I am on stick.

MaceWind

Crazy 88
Some people see no reason for a stick on MK9 and that it offers no advantage. I personally wanted that old school feel so I went and bought a PDP stick. 1 year later, the stick failed me at MLG (button lag) and I decided to revert back to a pad (at the friggin tourney no less). A few weeks later I've decided that I dislike the pad even more and just went and bought a better stick (Madcatz). So to answer your question, go with whatever you feel more comfortable with, just make sure your buttons are responsive.

1man3letters

Alpha Tarkatan - Moderator
indeed its all about preference
i switched to stick for mk9 because that i was playing the game so much i started gettin big as welts on my hands and not being able to move my thumbs right,ggs to ps3 pads
ive heard people say stick is the worst way of playin mk9 but its whatever feels right to you, personally i would never go back to pad and even with other non fighting games,if my stick will work for it,ill use it

MK9 never had an arcade release so it was designed around a game pad. There's no real inherent need (I still don't know how anyone plays 6-8 buttons games on a pad) to use one like on some other games that were made with arcades in mind.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
I also want a stick very badly for street fighter and was woundering if its good for MK. Ik its not neccesary but i heard execution is a little bit easier if i used stick. I WANT MORE OPINIONS!!!!!

plz

DanCock

Cock Master!!
I also want a stick very badly for street fighter and was woundering if its good for MK. Ik its not neccesary but i heard execution is a little bit easier if i used stick. I WANT MORE OPINIONS!!!!!

plz

You can mess around with my mk stick when we meet up.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
Pdp mk one. Slightly modded.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Tapatalk
check ur inbox im gunna send u a link about some fightsticks i was looking for cuz i heard pdp sticks can have button lag and the layout is wierd. I heard overall the madcats sticks are better.

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization

plz
dude street fighter on pad is a misery. i made the switch about 4 or 5 years and it levelled up my game like dammm. sf on pad is shit.

i can understand using a pad for mk as it is not as execution heavy with the ditectional inputs as street fighter. stick is great for mk and especially playing KL i cant imagine playing with a pad personally. or kabal. or liu kang (dammm piano roll those combos is too easy)

I know that it's largely personal preference, but when I saw most if not all of the top 8 using pads; I was just curious if there was something I'm missing.

I'm new to fighting games, but I'm seeking a great game that revolves around single-player improvement and practice (don't want to play another team-based game competitively). I have SSF4 on PS3, but to be honest I haven't had much fun playing it. I've always been a huge fan of Tekken and Mortal Kombat, so I'll be picking MK9 up.

I do have a few questions (which are off-topic, but I don't want to create another thread that I could just search for)

- How is the MK9 community on PS3?
- How is the online play? (Laggy?)

aj1701

Noob
MK9 never had an arcade release so it was designed around a game pad. There's no real inherent need (I still don't know how anyone plays 6-8 buttons games on a pad) to use one like on some other games that were made with arcades in mind.
I actually thought I had read that boon said they had the pdp stick in mind when they designed the game.

Dann

Noob
I use to play on pad, but i was never good at dashing. My thumbs were to slow. Now i play on a fightstick and it honestly feels a lot better. At first your not going to like it. I actually quit the stick and went back to pad. Then i decided to go to stick again. Its going to take some time getting use too, the whole process for me took about a month of loosing to the computers and dropping combos in training but now i can honestly say i am a better player.

IMO the fightstick is a superior controller and unless your Wolfkrone capcom games are almost impossible to play on pad. If your willing to spend the money and make the commitment buy the fight stick.

I personally own a Quanba q4 RAF. It comes dual moded and decked out with sanwa parts straight from the box! I also own a madcatz limited edition Sf x Tekken TE stick. I love them both especially the dual moded Quanba which is the one i use all of the time. My madcatz is mostly for collection purposes. Last week i jumped at the chance to buy the PDP stick. i haven't tried it, but the stick and the packaging looks sweet. I'll let you guys know how that feels ones i get a chance to try it out.

Dann

Noob
I know that it's largely personal preference, but when I saw most if not all of the top 8 using pads; I was just curious if there was something I'm missing.

I'm new to fighting games, but I'm seeking a great game that revolves around single-player improvement and practice (don't want to play another team-based game competitively). I have SSF4 on PS3, but to be honest I haven't had much fun playing it. I've always been a huge fan of Tekken and Mortal Kombat, so I'll be picking MK9 up.

I do have a few questions (which are off-topic, but I don't want to create another thread that I could just search for)

- How is the MK9 community on PS3?
- How is the online play? (Laggy?)
The stick allows you to make small precise movements and react faster. an important part of using a stick for MK9 is finding a button layout that works for you.
CD JR number 1 MK player/ MK champion uses stick.
Eric Warda- Former Kabal master used stick
Justin wong- PDP champion, Canada cup champion uses stick
Perfect Legend- Evo champ uses Stick
chris g, hitoshura, arturo sanchez and a shit load of other top players also use stick.

Theres top players on both systems. Theres always people on
Online play is laggy but if you and your opponent have good connection you can have some great games

eskuAdradit0

"Thanks" button abuser.
Get a hitbox. I'd suggest learning mecanography first, though.

I'm a pad player, never played on a fighstick before. I've tried it. I may get good at it, but I just don't feel it's natural for me. I'm a PC gamer at heart, so when I saw the hitbox concept, I knew that was for me.
In my opinion, if you have ALL your fingers trained (a common mistake hitbox users have is to use two fingers per hand, go figure which two), you have a big plus. Travel time is shorter, and you may find doing certain things with each finger than with just your thumbs. For instance, my thumbs are too big to do d+1 into soul steal (f,d,b, 3 or hcb, 3) without feeling uncomfortable. F4, cGs (f,4, d,u,4) is something I cannot get consistently with a pad. On a hitbox, it's a piece of cake.

It also depends on the character you're using. For instance, heavy execution characters may be harder to play on a pad (although everything's possible. REO plays Kabal on a pad, for example), but games that are too heavy execution-wise (such as KoF XIII) may not be too hitbox-friendly. (the learning curve is keeeeeeeen)
You have to find that sweet spot that works best for you, and preference plays a big role. I'd suggest trying them all if you can. Borrow or lean a fightstick for a week. See it if works for you.

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
It's all preference. Some people simply prefer using a pad for MK and a stick for more input heavy FGs. If REO can do Kabal's nomad dash cancels and iAGBs on pad it clearly shows that they're both equally viable. I'm comfortable using a pad for MK and SCV but for AE, KoF 13, SFxT, etc I'd be investing in a stick.

I don't know what you're exactly looking for, but let me tell you this.

I bought a street fighter layout stick, and never went back to pad.

I started a stick plyer for mk9 but then swapped to pad this game was built on directionality not qfc or hcf I use a stick on scv kof and everyother game except tekken but I do know stick can make certain chacaters easier cause u can buffer but this is also a downfall imho causei used to main smoke and would go for smoke bomb and somehow I had bufer tele and would naked tele into a block I have leveled up on pad but again its all what u feel comfy with

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

It's all preference. There are top players in seemingly every game on Pad:
MK9 of course has REO among many other players.
SF4 has Wolfkrone, arguably the best American player right now (well at least the best results).
MVC3 has Fanatiq and a few others.